Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Favorite 12V electric fuel pumps for low pressure part time use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Mar 19, 2022.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, been thru parts store listings, some search here, looking for what max pressures are and if regulators are a necessity (prefer not), AND will a flatty fuel pump pull "through" it when not in use. As I search I feel like Bevis when he turns into Cornholio because the answers are either incomplete, cryptic, or simply not there. Maybe this will help others too. Used to like the old Carters but they seem like high pressure ratings now. Are those wrong or maybe "...up to..." ratings now? A CYA thing? I want it for my 39 which has a fresh stock 59A, stock pump, 5/16 feed to the pump, a fresh Holley style 94, and eventually an Offy 2 carb with 2 fresh 94s. I believe they can take a max of what, 3 psi? The pump will be to prime and may be needed for highway use, maybe not.
    As always thanks in advance.

2. Can't go wrong with the old carter P4070. Very dependable.
    Running through mechanical pump with this electric pump on or off is no problem.
    Not sure about pressure through flathead mechanical pump.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

4. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Yeah but can the mechanical pump pull thru the Carter 4070 when the electric pump is not running?

5. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I use the cheap click-clack $35 one from Slamazon. This is a dead head to an autolite 2100. No mechanical pump, and there is very little if any restriction on this as I've gravity drained the tank through this pump before.

20181207_172008.jpg 20200201_164307.jpg

Personally, I'd ditch the mechanical pump....serves 2 fold purpose:
    1. Cleans up the engine bay
    2. Keeps today's low boiling point fuel cooler for better starts and less vapor lock.

You can always run a return and a fuel pressure regulator. That could be right at the tank under the car if you want to keep thing clean under the hood.

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not sure if it will allow pull through or not, but I've been using the Purolator style cube pumps for years now with only one failure. They have both a low pressure and a higher pressure model, I used one of the low pressure ones on a riding mower that I changed the engine out and didn't have a mechanical pump on the motor, the tank was low under the seat so gravity feed wouldn't work. The higher pressure model fed a hot 302 I had in an OT car I had just fine at WOT runs.

They are sold under several different names, Purolater, Mr Gasket and some others. IIRC, they even have 6, 12, and 24 volt versions.

egads likes this.
  7. It does on my SBC hot rod. I only use the electric pump to push fuel to the carb before a cold start after several days or more of non-use. Normally electric pump is off and I run on mechanical pump pulling fuel from tank, through electric pump.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My goal is for a "cleaned up" look, but stockish cleaned up vs stripped out. Hundreds of millions of miles logged on stock pumps so I have few worries. What I don't want, electric pump, regulator, return line, it's a fresh stock flatty not some firebreathing hitech racer or smog laden eco-friendly soccer mom car. How crazy do we need to get?
    I went with 5/16 line for volume, temperature and also for future possible installation of a newer OHV some day. Yes, new gas with more light ends than in the past will evap easier so I dont want to crank away to refill the carb when it might sit a week or 3. Some pumps will not allow "pull through" now and I've lost track of which are which. I'm also not excited about having to examine oil pressure losses by dumping the fuel pump internals (something else I'm not 100% of either way). Simple. Easy. Low tech. Primer pump. I also don't have a massive bank of relays running everything. Montgomery Scott said "The more they complicate the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drains." So true, my motives, thanks so far...;)

9. Good vibrations Motorsports in California carries a Holley primer pump .
    It is used for mechanical fuel injection systems to prime the lines before firing .
    It is 12 volts and only delivers 4 psi,,,,,,price is 52.99 . 7D64A515-F8BE-4FFA-81E6-7DA6D839CACC.jpeg
    It looks compact and should be good quality.
    Whether it would help in your situation,,,,,only you know that .

Tommy

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've been running the 12 volt Carter pump on my roadster for 10 years. Did have to install a fuel pressure regulator to dial it back slightly.

11. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

7DB97DC9-3970-49E5-BF26-0D0FF9C74978.jpeg I picked this on up a few years ago and ran it as the sole pump on my 235 for quite some time. It’s on my run stand now as a pass through to my Flathead with no issues. I really only use it for priming on the stand, but the pressure is low enough for a single barrel Carter YF and so is probably fine for a 94 etc.

Desoto291Hemi and egads like this.
  12. Great thread, thanks.

13. I used an Airtex E8016SX pump. I'm pretty sure when I opened the package it was a Carter P4070 inside the box. It works well to kill a vapor lock problem or prime the system when it has been sitting. 99 % of the time it isn't running and the original pump has no problem pulling thru it.

14. I have had great success with a Carter P60504 on my 39. Its a small inline 30 gal per hour at 4PSI. Never an issue. I used that one because at the time i had planed on a tri power with 94's but never did put it on. I have a regulator on it but it is opened up wide. Unfortunately I see it is unavailable from summit, but it mat be able to be located through a NAPA or Amazon maybe.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p60504

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it'll be a while before I report how it works, but I shagged an Airtex 8016S like mentioned above. It actually had specs and in one blurb even specifically said "...as a priming pump that a mechanical pump can pull through when not in use." much like has been said here. They list the max pressure at 4 PSI so all boxes checked. No return, no regulator. Thank you all, and this might help some of our brethren I'm sure. $44.50 delivered from Rockauto, expected tomorrow. Nobody local had it any faster and more $$. I just hate those fkn cartoon commercials...:mad:

16. That Airtex/Carter you bought is used as a pull-thru/ backup pump by many of owners of non-HAMB friendly Motorhomes made only from 73-78 with a 455 or 403. They work great in that application