Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Open Web" Front Fenders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've searched, but I can't find the right term for the part of a '20s/early '30s front fender which closes the space between the fender arch and the top of the frame rail: web? apron? skirt? The bit I mean was a separate panel on Ts, beaded to the rest of the fender up to 1925 and welded(?) in '26-'27, but part of the fender pressing on the A and subsequently. Can anyone help me here?

In the course of conceptualizing something else (more on which hopefully soon) I got to wondering about the possibilities of cutting that part of a front fender away, exposing the diagonal part of the fender brace. That pattern was common enough in Europe on cars of sportier character up to about 1928. It was also not unusual on early American speedsters. I was wondering if there is any precedent out of the prehistory of hot rodding, the years before WWII, or even more recently? Has anyone got pics?

I'm thinking earlier because the advantage I see is that it frees up the positioning of the fender entirely, making it possible to move the fender up, down, in, out in relation to the frame without having to resolve how it meets up with the frame. This is more of an advantage when you have to accommodate taller, pre-WWII tyres when lowering a car. Once hot rodders began to run smaller-diameter front tyres there was a lot of lowering which could be accommodated within stock fenders. There might also be aerodynamic considerations of less or more dubious validity.

The idea appeals to me because it's a sort of transition between cycle fenders and full fenders: the elegant S-curve of stock fenders combined with the exposed, mechanical quality of a fenderless car.

Of course, if there is indeed any precedent there may be examples of someone making a total mess of the idea. No matter: I'd like to see those too.

2. SS327

SS327

As far as I am aware in the USA we just threw the fenders away. I could be wrong.

chevyfordman and clem like this.
  3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Often, but not always, surely?

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Splash apron .....frt or rear ..

SS327 likes this.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I forsee the need for A LOT of reinforcements . a subframe if you will .

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Some examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Depending on enforcement of fender laws at various times and places, competitors at early speed events did sometimes remove fenders, running boards, lights, etc. at the event and put them back on after competing. That would have limited how low they could build a car, though building low didn't seem to be such a priority in the early period.

To be honest, if there is precedent I'd expect it to be found at the edges of the hot rod world: speedsters, those obscure pre-war customs which tended to get only passing mention in the early magazines, "Man Builds Natty Sports Car" pieces in the mainstream press, etc.

Exactly what I mean! Thanks.

I see plenty of triangulation in the side elevation; less in plan view. I'd expect that one intermediate brace in the middle of the sweep would do the job?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  7. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Looks good to me. I like early style Speedsters. But are such fenders functional? If the guy in the wood bodied car hits a puddle, he's getting wet.

8. Well now you’ve gotten me excited about my speedster project again
    Rolled it outside today and did some mock ups
    DA877B77-97A6-4085-B202-E46CB9594459.jpeg 9D30DF56-E9E4-48D3-9D0F-DC3C23F9C3F0.jpeg 52CB985C-C99D-4A5E-8F1A-2993C2FBF6F4.jpeg 648B8DE2-D823-4788-A242-503209CB868A.jpeg 3140084B-FDEE-430B-A6E5-B84C9B4AC3BA.jpeg

9. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Nice project!! Just keep filling in the blanks and pretty soon it will be done.

10. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Oldtmtech : is that one of them thar 40% cylinder heads?

John

upload_2022-3-19_17-13-12.jpeg

11. Since most speedsters are bangers I figured I just run on the left bank

12. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

No, see, those are the heads that go with a 3/4 race cam.....