Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Love.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did it depart for Kansas in the mid fifties or later...any handle on that?

brady1929 likes this.
  2. birdman1

birdman1

Provenance, metronome. I had to look that up in my funk and wagnle! I really feel out of place here! Sounds like a bunch of politicians making up new words to impress people!

Nobey, MCjim, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The unique grill on that roadster reminds me of a vintage rear-engined Indianapolis??? race car. Auto Union? There were a few of them but I'm thinking of one particular car with a grill that widened dramatically at the bottom. Could not find a picture of it.
    I'm wondering if the race car grill might have inspired Mr. Summers.

alanp561, tractorguy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe you are referring to the "AUTO UNION SILVER ARROW "
    auto union silver arrow (2).jpg

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Similar, @41 GMC K-18 ,
    But the car I'm thinking of was quite bigger, a little earlier maybe, and the grill REALLY widened out at the bottom, like on this roadster.

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread is deeper than a Hotrod...and yes university or at a minimum Grade 13 plus literacy helps...don't worry your not alone...I love Jimmy Summers style and would have liked to have had a beer in the Garage with him...

chryslerfan55, alanp561 and brady1929 like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I respectfully disagree...I guess Jimmy was a Racer of sorts since he modded the wells for roll on cornering...and the Cycle Style fenders kept the water out of the cabin...Maybe it was law...I like combinations of both, all or nothing...

Doesn't look like it ever had a top...

That's why Hotrods end up being scrutinized to death just as do the Customs and fighting was probably an after race staple because the hate is sometimes quite vile...wherever they are people love them or hate them...my ride is no different it had E & Js..., its a Sport Coupe cannon fodder for many, as you say it is what it is...

chryslerfan55, alanp561 and brady1929 like this.
  8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jimmy´s car has soul, and that is something most of those perfectly built replicas of what we think is traditional lack of.

chryslerfan55 and tractorguy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They just need a week or two of road duty without a shower...hey Baumi...cheers from over yonder...;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Rickybop I know this isn't a rear engine racer, but this Mercedes Silver Arrow has a grille, that is like what you were describing. Pretty dramatic grille pattern indeed !
    mercedes silver arrow (2).jpg

11. flathead60

flathead60
    from NH

How about Edsel's '34 roadster?

[​IMG]

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Fugly.

alanp561 likes this.
  13. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Stogy asked when the roadster moved North to Kansas. I visited Mr Logan's shop (next to the Farmers' Market) several times from late 1953 to mid 1956. I don't recall any closer than that when the conversation took place.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Terry were you trying to share a pic or is that a finger print of the last guy who drove it...:D

alanp561 and brady1929 like this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good one, @flathead60 Hmmm... almost wanted to say YES!
    But I thought it was a big-ass vintage rear-engined Indy racer.
    I might be imagining things.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

I have no idea what the big smudge came from. Maybe my coffee cup sloshed.

Mr Logan had "detuned" the Buick engines in the two cars he bought from Max Balchowski. I bought cam, ignition and carburation for my '34 circa 1953, a couple of years later Bill Lynn bought the McCulloch stuff for his Buick powered "late model" (ie 49-51) Chevy.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  17. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Rickybop, I don't remember the grill, but perhaps you're thinking of the "Rounds Rocket" which was a rear engined pre-war Indy car. I remember the Gulf Miller rear engine cars as having typical Miller grills, so not likely what you are thinking of.

18. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Here is another one...Alfa Romeo
    [​IMG]

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may have been thinking about the one and only famous Auto Union Silver Arrow that @41 GMC K-18 posted and misremembered the exact shape of the grill.
    Main point, hot rodders have so often borrowed styling cues from full on race cars. Thought Jimmy might have done that.

brady1929 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  20. @Stogy - I agree with @Ryan ... fenders don't BELONG on Hot Rods!

Unfortunately ... in many states & municipalities, Hot Rodders were forced to run them to legally drive on the streets.

@296ardun recently posted this on "a social media site":

In the fall of 1951, California lawmakers passed an ordinance requiring fenders for all cars weighing over 1500 pounds, in an effort to get hot rods off the street. (Supposedly it was to prevent spray from un-fendered wheels, but we hot rodders knew better). So, what were hot rodders to do? Some just kept the stock fenders, but others tried motorcycle fenders, or used the spare tire covers from cars like the '36 Fords.

Here a California Highway Patrolman is showing Wally Parks an example of how to be in compliance with the law:

California Fender Laws - Wally with CHP officer.jpg
    Case in point, ... When we moved from Minnesota to California in 1963, my father was "forced" to add the bobbed Model A rear fenders to our Deuce 5wd Coupe ... and he had a pair of cycle-style fenders for the front to "allow" him to register the car in the State of California (notice I didn't say "Cali" :D):

HEMI32 - no fenders.jpg HEMI32 - bobbed rear fenders.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  21. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Here is your Indy car...big Novi supercharged V8
    [​IMG]

22. Huh? ... Both of my kids knew those two terms when they were in 5th & 7th Grade ... "metronome" because they both had taken piano lessons ... and "Provenance" because I made them read the @Chopperken Gross article about the Deuce Roadster their grandfather once owned.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  23. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

MCjim make that Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio green and it is one beautiful car. Only problem is it is a pain to fix, ask me how I know

alanp561 likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've heard the word Metronome many times, still don't know what it is but the ole google search is a fingertip away (okay got it...;)) and I do use the search very regularly for spelling and definition and many times that's still not enough for some here...What I was saying is Ryan is pretty literary, no doubt I missed what he was implying...and then you have have another literary post by another here saying that most of us missed the point...:D...So WTF I sure enjoy the oddball Hotrods and it was good to see it featured even if it was being roasted...or hmmm...anyways I LOVE it!!!...wouldn't change a thing, just turn the key and head out for my favorite picturesque winding country road and get a little roll on some corners to utilize those wells...Your kids are fortunate they have you for a dad...;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@HEMI32 , I LOVE that Coupe in every variation you and your father had it in...I guess what I'm saying is in my open mindedness to this Gow/Hotrod/Race infused history spanning many years right to 65 and beyond depending on where the builders mind is I call fendered Hop-Ups no matter how the configuration is Hotrods and enjoy them without just as much...so that's really it and obviously that reallys limits whats shared here as there's one helluva lotta' wanna be Hotrods based on the principal in point here...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pat-leighton-1932-ford.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...cars-or-transportation.1247385/#post-14269288

:rolleyes:...Might it be this one @Rickybop...This is Pat Leightons post war Go fast, well executed one of a kind Hotrod he dreamed up and designed as a POW in WW11...LOVE it...

Thank you for your service Hotrodder...;)

Lest We Forget

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes! @Stogy awesome that you found that! Thank you LOL it was like a song or a word or somebody's name that's right on the tip of your tongue.
    See... I knew there was an image such as this floating around my old grey matter somewhere.
    Look at that, Ryan... there's more than one of 'em!
    Now I do remember seeing that hot rod in print. Still not sure if I in fact remember an old Indy race car with a similarly shaped grill. Probably just got a couple crossed wires.

chryslerfan55, 41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  28. Max Bowchowski owned this car for a while.

Stogy likes this.
  29. All I would add is my butt in the seat ......................and LOVE!

Stogy likes this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and lurker mick like this.