Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Biscayne Jr Stocker for the Street Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Stock Racer, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Big Dog 33

Big Dog 33

64, 409, dual quads, Richmond Super T10. Flowmaster 40’s, rumbles like an angry dog!

Attached Files:

Deuces, Torkwrench, Shalamo and 7 others like this.
  2. 4tford

4tford

I'm an old guy and I like 4sp but bad legs now and I have a manual reverse Auto trans, you still get the shifts just not the leg work! Best of both worlds! Oh, small block is not bad either, there is some nice 383 packages that are a nice street setup!

3. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

Just for interest sake..
    Back in the mid 60's there were two local 1962 409s racing at the local strip. One was a black Bel Air 2 dr sedan with red interior. (Just like the one in this thread) Never could seem to get it dialed in right.

The other was a 409 to... all red bubble top Bal Air. Don't recall them being there more than a couple of years. I think that was about the time of the Alaska pipeline. And at least one (if not both) went to work on it. And if I remember right, they came back after a couple of years there, and one of them died not to long after that....don't know why. Can't think of their names either. One was "Wally" something ?
    Think they were friends of Fred Anderson, of "Good Intension" 57 aqua Chevy 2 dr .hardtop.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  4. cabong

cabong

Life has it's funny twists and turns. I had a call from my pal "Big Dick" last night, and he wants me to come take away his old car. I met Dick at a racer's club breakfast a couple years back, when he came to our table and asked if I was familiar with a 6-cyl that had 12 ports. Now that's a whole 'nuther story. I went to his house, which is on a farm, and there sits, covered with a "tarpaulin", this '62 Impala. He ordered it new, with a 6-cyl/3-spdOD. Rather rare in itself.... He parked it where it was sitting in 1976, after towing it from SoCal to Idaho, and literally had not uncovered it since. I pulled back that tarp, which most people don't remember, and I had forgotten, just how heavy they are. Anyway, I opened the drivers door expecting to get knocked over by the smell. Surprise !!!! No bad smell, only the smell of naugahyde.... The inside was not ever dusty. The doors open and close like a new car. The headliner is perfect, and the seats are fine, as they had been recovered. The carpet is dirty from use, as Dick is a car guy. Some may remember my thread, "I met a guy".... Anyway, Dick called me last night to tell me the car was mine... I have been told that I offered too much, but sometimes when you think the critter will go another direction, like to a non-gearhead son, you make an offer that opens the peepers.....
    Lemme know some thoughts.
    Did I mention.... No rust underneath. Dealer undercoated. Very minimal rust on the body....
    Now the same question..... 6-cyl or nice 327/4-spd.....
    P.S. Please pardon me barging in on this thread.... dicks 62a.jpg 62 Impala.jpg 62 2.jpg 62 1.jpg 62 3.jpg

Deuces, 5w32, Torkwrench and 23 others like this.
  5. Jones St.

Jones St.

That BLUE paint! Clay bar it then spread this 2x's a day. Leave on overnight. Repeat until it glows. SGP125078_1_main__24933.1617184926.jpg

6. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Love the 61 bubble tops always wanted one

Shalamo, loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  7. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

That 097 is an oldie but a goody! Going with solids but I'm going to build it as a legal NHRA Stock Eliminator engine. It won't have all the high end goodies but it will be legal. I had Bullet build me a legal (stock lift) cam with the duration toned down for the street. It will interesting to see how it runs. IMG_3799.jpg IMG_3798.jpg

8. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Yea, she's a solid builder but it needs floor work. I have a Muncie, a T-10, and a T-350 with a sporty little 9" converter. Stay tuned!, I have a plan.

IMG_3801.jpg IMG_3803.jpg IMG_3804.jpg

9. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

That car is BITCHIN!

loudbang likes this.
  10. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Thanks for the tip, ordered one today.

Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  11. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Wow! Congratulations, beautiful car!

ffr1222k, Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Bullet Cams are all we use in our engines - The Best.

I'm glad you're building it YOUR way, that's what it's all about. Don't be swayed, stick to your plans.
    It's going to be a blast!

13. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Thanks! Actually I appreciate everyone's input. Kinda fun. And yes, Bullet is the best.

Cosmo49, Offset, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  14. RmK57

RmK57

Who's flat tappets do they use?

15. SS327

SS327

What is the deal with the window in the top of the bell housing of the th350? I’ve never seen that before. Use the 4 speed with the biggest counter shaft! That’s the weak spot!

chryslerfan55 and Stock Racer like this.
  16. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

In the Race Car environment the cutout helps cool the convertor which helps fluid life and consistency. It also enables removal of the converter bolts from the top.

17. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Good question, but I don't have an answer for you. Give em a call 662-893-5670

chryslerfan55, hrm2k and loudbang like this.
  18. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

19. SS327

SS327

We just always ran the biggest trans cooler we could find. GMC busses when Chicago started scrapping them were what most of us ran. They were huge!

chryslerfan55 and Stock Racer like this.
  20. Big Dog 33

Big Dog 33

I had one when I was 18. Sold it in 67 when I got my all expenses paid trip to Vietnam. In 1999, my oldest son was at WSU in Spokane and ran across a bubble top. $2,000 later it was mine. “Ready for paint” the seller said. Not so fast, beau coup bondo in the rear wheel wells, etc. I wanted to put a 283 with a three on the tree OD unit. My first bubble top was a 283, 3 speed (no OD), but I was in this guys barn looking at his stash of transmissions, he knew he had an OD one somewhere, he didn’t. He did have this big block shrink wrapped and I asked him if it was a 348 and he smiled and said “no, completely rebuilt 64 425 horse 409, ready to go”. Not quite ready to go, it needed a few pieces of tin, but when he said $5,500, I figured I had to buy it even if I didn’t use it. It was completely rebuilt as advertised, it only had one correct four barrel (Edelbrock’s are on it now) and 10 years later it is finished. Total is now 23 years and about 400 miles, maybe. I have a set of 62 bucket seats already upholstered to match the stock 61 interior but my 40 Ford Convertible is calling for some frame repair which will necessitate the body removal, so the seats sit on the shelf. I originally put a 4:11 posi in the 61, but it rapped up too fast, shift, shift, shift, so I swapped in a 3:36? I think. 3:30 something posi. It sits quietly, waiting for my attention, way easier to take care of than a dog or cat!

chryslerfan55, enloe, Spoggie and 3 others like this.
  21. Big Dog 33

Big Dog 33

Go with a 327 3 speed OD, you already have all the electric set up, just get a beefy 3 speed OD, cool car!

chryslerfan55, enloe and Dustyp489 like this.
  22. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Tomorrow I'll tackle cleaning the back half of the frame and floor in preparation for paint. Stopped at Eastwood today and picked up four different solutions to try. Very curious to see how these things they call "Rust Brush" work out. I have to give credit to @Jeff Norwell. His 57 Ford #2 build was my inspiration to clean it up, paint it up, and get it rolling. IMG_3812.jpg IMG_3817.jpg

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@Stock Racer
    Thanks for the kind words....I love this build your doing.... very similar to mine and it is lovely.
    Your car is in the same state mine was... Gonna be killer and can't wait to see how you move forward.
    Watching for sure.... Love the 61-62 Chevys!

Jeff

24. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I'm sensing a match race here. :D

25. This Biscayne is gonna be good. I love nasty 265-327's and anything in between. The Impala deserves a thread of it's own. Jones St. - good idea.

26. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

It would be great to make that happen. I'd do everything in my power.

27. RmK57

RmK57

I don't think 4 on the tree is going to be ideal for any kind of power shifting in a drag race.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What are you doing for rear end?

Stock Racer likes this.
  29. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I'm starting out with the original housing and a 4.11 posi to get her up and running. I have a 12 Bolt that will find it's way in there eventually.
    IMG_3793.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You adding the driver side upper trailing arm?

5w32 and Stock Racer like this.