Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical vented brake drums

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PhiltheThrill, Mar 15, 2022.

1. PhiltheThrill

PhiltheThrill

a friend took this photo at a roadster event ( I mean Victoria Deuce Days) a while ago and i'd like more info in the hopes of including them on my build. I have the wide fives already and non vented front drums but would love to own a front and rear set of these vented drum.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    VANDENPLAS, Ned Ludd and Just Gary like this.
  2. Looks like some aftermarket artillery style wheels modified for a wide 5 center.

Joe Blow and Just Gary like this.
  3. banjorear

banjorear

Those drums look like modified early Ford. By modified, I mean that they added wheel studs to the spokes and left the stock ones in the center. Some '32's had these types of drums. Maybe up until '34 as well.

The brakes in the pict are hydraulic, so not sure what, if anything, would need to be done to the drum to work with the juice set since they come off mechanical brake set-ups.

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I wonder if that might just be an adaptor to run a wide five wheel on a regular hub. Maybe a circle track piece?

LWEL9226 and X-cpe like this.

5. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Rocky Mountain brakes? I have seen them at swap meets but usually the 5 on 5.5 versions & on 35 & earlier axles, wide 5's not so common.

6. PhiltheThrill

PhiltheThrill

i thought rocky mountain too but couldn't find a similar one on the net

i also thought 2 piece rears but also couldn't find something similar

by circle track 5 on 5.5 with wide five wheels are you thinking something like this?

Attached Files:

7. PhiltheThrill

PhiltheThrill

such a small world was able to track down the actual car based on the wheel picture alone.

belonged to Brad Anderson of Flat Nasty Customs in Maple Ridge BC

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS, harpo1313 and 1320 Fan like this.
  8. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

One of my favorite cars/builds on here. He just said they were wide 5's that he modified.
    "Keep guessing fellas. lol its a bit of a long winded story and honestly i don't remember every thing I did but I can say it is all pre 42 ford parts no adaptors or anything. I can't give away all my secrets here boys. lol"
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=32719
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1934-ford-5-window-coupe.1115250/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1934-ford-sedan-gender-reassignment-surgery.857397/

jordabennett and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. The thing I find hilarious is that no one at the lakes BITD ran wide fives or artillery wheels* - and let's face it, that's the look this car is aping . I do not understand the wide five fad.

*I am fully aware someone will dredge out one obscure picture, but one swallow does not make a spring.

10. alchemy

alchemy

The car has 18” rears, and the tall lakes/Indy tires need 18” wheels. Just cool to have some rare drums too. Can’t fault a guy for using rare parts.

11. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I agree that wide fives/artillery wheels were scarce on the lakes....but they were there. Not always a full set but they were on a couple notable cars. So I guess I'll be the one to post an obscure picture and separate a few specs of fly shit from the pepper.

Don Waite's 27 T.
    5009hr_z_2048x2048.jpg
    Don-waite-1927-ford-kustomrama-quesnel-collection.jpg

The Belly Tanker.
    so-cal-lakester-640x468.jpg

From Pat Ganahl's "Dry Lake Hot Rods".
    Lakes017.jpg

12. The tank is running high clearance wheels for the Indy tire diameter, a practical choice.

The others? Of course there will be exceptions.

hotroddon and Joe Blow like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting back to the original wheel in question (why the hell was that other unrelated stuff posted? ) I'm wondering if those aren't actual 34 drums converted to juice brakes with wide 5 adapters on them. With more than a little bit of extra touch done on them.
    These being 34 (allegedly) drums. 34 Brake drums (2).jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. 55willys

55willys

I actually have a rare 36 vented wide five hub. The 36 front drum and backing plate set about 7/8" inboard of the 38-39 wide five and all hubs up 48.

15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'd be interested to see other attempts at ventilating drum brakes over the years. I know that it was a bit of a thing in the '30s, especially in Britain. Rings of round holes — smaller but more numerous than those in the above drums — are sometimes seen in the faces of large-diameter drums, where they can ventilate through Rudge-type wire-spoke wheels, most commonly on Rileys though I've seen them on a few MGs and at least one Alvis. It looks like it wasn't ever done by the factory, except in the case of a few works racing teams. The fact that they are so rare leads me to question how effective they really were.
    Vented drums 01.jpg Vented drums 04.png Vented drums 02.jpg Vented drums 05.jpg

Any other examples of drum brake trickery?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. PhiltheThrill

PhiltheThrill

can you post a picture of the drum?

55willys likes this.
  17. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Ned Ludd likes this.
  18. 55willys

55willys

You could easily attach the aluminum air scoop and open it up on the backing plate side and just let it vent out the front.

19. 55willys

55willys

I will try to remember to do that tomorrow when I am at the shop.

20. dwollam

dwollam

There has been threads on those same type drums on the HAMB before. I remember reading them, but danged if I know where or when.

Dave

21. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Depending on when your BITD starts and ends, they didn't run coupes at the lakes either, until the first Russetta meet in 1948. A lot of builds today are inspired by what was done BITD, but it doesn't have to be bound to it.

I'm more curious how these vented drum brakes work once the internals are soaked with water...

22. 34Phil

34Phil

23. adam401

adam401

My buddy has these on his car. They are manufactured as a 5 on 5.5 hub with a wide 5 open drum bolted to it. Makes for a very light weight setup. He got his at a swap meet dude thought they were rocky mountain brakes which they aren't.

24. banjorear

banjorear

I'm curious as to the weight of these. Stock '42-'48 drums (hub on outside) have a stamped steel center welded to the cast iron ring. I was surprised how light they are compared to Boling Brothers solid drum.

25. PhiltheThrill

PhiltheThrill

thx adam401 and 34Phil. probably need to give up trying to find this rarity.

still so many questions like why does this exist and what was it used on? and how do i find a set?

26. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@PhiltheThrill I would guess that it might have something to do with reducing parts inventory. If one drum could be used on wide 5 cars as well as the 5×5 1/2.

27. adam401

adam401

Fellow club member and friend Mike's roadster
    The rear of the car has the 2 piece construction drums as mentioned earlier.
    IMG_0720.jpg