Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Generator id help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novaskilling, Mar 15, 2022.

1. novaskilling

novaskilling

ABD71FE2-ACBA-4300-88F0-5FFE17C07F2E.jpeg I have this flathead generator I’m trying to figure out the year? I’d like to remove the pulley and have it machined to fit my 8BA generator if at all possible. That way all my pulleys will align on my 8BA

2. Ford truck somewhere from '33 to '39.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I think the regulator cutout on top makes it about '38 and older.

I machined a mid 30's fan mountable pulley to have a bigger center hole to fit on my 12 volt armature (a 1960 Ford part). It worked good for a few years, but then the cast iron pulley cracked the center out of it. Luckily it didn't go into the radiator.

I found a weird large size generator that was probably from a fire truck or similar, and it had the fan mount pulley but the right size center bore for my armature. It fit right on my car in place of the cracked/modified one. I've got no idea where I could ever find another though.

4. squirrel

squirrel

By "truck" they seem to mean cabover? This is the only pic I can find of a double belt on a flathead...it's on a COE chassis. The smaller trucks use a single pulley. I've never got to work on one in real life.

coe.jpg

5. alchemy

alchemy

The dual early pulley won't be beneficial for an 8BA as the spacing apart of the two belts is different.

Are you aware you can get an 8BA pulley with a wide belt if you don't need the fan mount?

6. novaskilling

novaskilling

Yah I have both a wide and narrow belt set up for 8BA was hoping to run a fan up top