Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical dry water passages and keep protected

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercjoe, Mar 13, 2022.

1. mercjoe

mercjoe

Guys,

We've done a pressure test on the poly engine I bought a while ago for my coupe. There was a ton of rust built up inside. Chunks of rusted metal came out. We tried cleaning it as much as possible and the pressure test itsled cleaned it up a beat more.
    Engine will be stored for a few months before installing it on the car. We wont rebuild it cause it's running strong and without issues.

Question is. How can I dry it inside and prevent any further rust to build up ?
    how about shooting some WD40 in the water passages ?

Thans for any tips

2. squirrel

squirrel

It should be fine if you drain out any water that is in it. It takes a long time for rust like that to form.

3. mercjoe

mercjoe

Thanks Squirrel.
    yeah, compressor and gun wll be the first step.

4. junkman8888

junkman8888

Argentina is one of the most humid countries on earth meaning I don't see how you can keep an engine block "dry", the way I see it your best option is to fill the coolant passages with straight antifreeze and not worry about it.

5. mercjoe

mercjoe

It's really not. Not most of the country.
    I think you are probably confused with the caribean.

'34 Ratrod likes this.
  6. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Argentina is a very big country, I’m sure you have all kinds of climates. But I’d be more concerned about protecting the cylinders, valves, etc. than the water passages. As squirrel said, heavy rust takes years to form. Oil in the cylinders, maybe the valve train backed off, plugs in, turn it over occasionally with the plugs out, add oil as required. Then prelube and turn over before starting. Maybe even a little oil in the ports (valves) before you back them off. And bag tight every time you open it to turn it. No critters.

mercjoe and squirrel like this.
  7. mercjoe

mercjoe

Thanks mike. Good advice.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I've had engines get condensation rust in the cylinders pretty quickly, when left sitting outside, even in a desert climate. The temperature change every night slowly draws in moisture, through an open valve. The idea to back off the rocker arms is a great one. But I've also had engines that sat outside for decades, and not get "stuck" from rust. You never know.

9. mercjoe

mercjoe

Thanks Squirrel. It will be just a few months and the engine is stored in a shop so I guess I should be ok.

10. squirrel

squirrel

I expect you'll be ok. Temperature change plus humidity is what does it.

mercjoe likes this.