Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ok Moriarity and Stogy are right ! This is what I’m gonna do …

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Had damn Bridgestone Radials on my DD that flat spotted over night. Hated the rotten things so out they went.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well @VANDENPLAS, the lead on the skirts sure jazzed up the day...thanks to @Jeff Norwell, I can imagine it may lead to other connections or at the very least meeting another with similar interests and stories to make for an interesting day...perhaps you might pick up some leads on Steelies to plunk those covers on...I remember when I had the Ole Harley connecting with some neat parts people...

My Hotrod was bought nearly turnkey so I really am maintaining more than looking for things but you have a mission at hand and I'm again thrilled your heading back in time to something that you never experienced...

Baby steps...money doesn't grow on trees I know...

The tires are pricey but look at it this way...if you went Piecrust Bias they might last your life around this Classic...

...radial wise theres a Coker that looks real close...TB33 runs them on his Coupe and the Auburn's are the only other one I would consider...

You might just work at the stance with what you have for now keeping in mind dias. might affect the addition of future rims and tires...maybe find some low cost covers for now to cover up those catapaulters...;)

It'd be nice to drive this thing without major downtime...and I think you're fortunate that you may be able to do just that...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, there's been enough bad press for these modern tires that are tolerated here but merely a substitute for what should be under our rides...

Again the few newer iterations are much more admirable and yes I understand cost is always an issue but nothing about this culture is easy on the pocketbook.

The other thing here is full fendered cars cover alot of the negatives of the newer R thingies...

I hope Van goes Bias eventually when the time is right...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Moriarity, 427 sleeper and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

I usually just laugh with..ok…at Jack, but what he says makes good sense. Pick an era and stick with it.

Cmon Jack, I love ya like the wicked step father I never had;)

5. @hotrodjack33
    Is not skirts , caps snd wide whites an era ?

not like I’m doing bellflower exhaust , nose high solid axle gasser with 17” torque thrusts

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would certainly be a nice compliment to my ever so cozy fur underwear:eek:;).

...and seriously @VANDENPLAS, it's inevitable... subconsciously you KNOW you have already made your choice...

...It’s always an F*N Dodge...Lancer hubcap

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.

8. Hey, don't you know one shoe is a "thing"? That's why you often see one shoe along the road... people finally get tired of being 'normal/traditional' and dump one so they can be 'rad'. Same principle, except in the case of fog lights, I think people BITD bought one to try, went through the hassle to mount and wire it up, then decided the results weren't worth the $$ and effort, and cancelled the backorder! JMHO

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

From the V8 Album ^^^^^^^^^^
    Early Ford V8 Club of America
    Read it and weep……LOL;):D

11. 7C1A08F8-1FC7-4C5A-9012-959C8E166A39.png

HEY !!!! It’s got only one for light !!!!!:eek::D

12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My point exactly;)
    An approved 1939 Ford accessory light sold for $5.00..........Fender shields $9.00....
    Spotlight....$15.75......Cupholder unavailable :rolleyes:

13. If this were to go to a vote, I'd vote for ...
    taildraggin', spotlight sportin' 40's 50's custom.
    I'm going to drop the ass end of my lincoln (1953 cosmopolitan) & have been throwing around the idea of dummy spots, & lake pipes.

hotrodjack33, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. Two fog lights ,just sayin , No I cant sell one LOL 20210518_205651.jpg

15. :rolleyes:
    show off

OOOOOOO look at me I got TWO FOG LIGHTS

D75824DC-3E3E-408A-9532-117CC05C1002.gif

1952henry, Stogy, rdscotty and 5 others like this.
  16. Lucky me , not wandering around the flea markets looking for the matching fog light for my car
    LOL

17. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I always understood the single light to be a "passing light" with the idea that you can get 1/2 of your car into the passing lane, and still have enough light to see to past the car in front of you. I don't believe they were left on after you re-entered the driving lane. Makes sense to me I suppose, if you notice, they are always on the driver's side.

Over the years, I've seen a lot of old pictures with singles on cars, but not as many pairs. I'm too OCD with things being lopsided... I couldn't do it! I bought/have a couple sets to try on my '31, but could never convince myself they look good on a hot rod.

jimmy six, belair, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Passing light is what I’ve always understood also, and if it’s not functional what’s the point.

19. 1/2 the crap we do to our cars is not needed !!
    Sheesh our cars are not really needed !!

It’s to be Cool Daddio

59F8D5D0-435D-4F5A-8D0D-8DF5BD006356.gif

hotrodjack33 and 427 sleeper like this.
  20. Enough for four cars I guess 20220308_102559.jpg 20220308_102608.jpg

hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I might concede if the article called it a "passing light" and used for that purpose...but in that case, wouldn't be mounted more outboard toward the end of the bumper?
    The article does call it a "fog light"...and common sense tells me 2 would be more effective than only one.;):p

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    VANDENPLAS and X38 like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

239 Merc sidechopt343.jpg

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...running-boards-removed.1209512/#post-13884729

:rolleyes:...Stance, Spots, Tires, Covers, and Skirts...

Van, Hamber @Chopt 34 has a way with Hotrod /Custom, peruse some of his Threads, I think it's good to see modern inspirations as well...many of the modern ones have roots in the Custom past..

Again I am humbled by your thoughts regarding the Inspiration I did...I can't wait till your adjusting your sedan standing back feeling the vibe...you'll know when it's right...Make sure when you check out the Skirts ask if he might have any pics of Customs. I wonder if they were on a custom?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  23. Still on the hunt for fender skirts .

looked online for tires all are pretty much back ordered .

looking at used , thoughts on this ?

found a company that is bringing in tires from Europe “ nokinan” brand very high end tires going to seee pricing .

I got quoted $2200 bucks for the Firestone bias ply s :eek:

Stogy likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Van did you get the lead on Jeff's friend with the skirts?

$2200 US?, CAN? Taxes/Shipping included? you know used Tires are a crap shoot but sometimes Bias Plys come up a lot of people hate them don't ya know...Sometimes their still wrapped...if you get a Alliance Membership you can save some dough and even cover the membership with the savings...@fitnessguy ordered directly from Coker I think and used his Alliance...sometimes they have sales too...

I've seen Hambers selling them rims and all...2 birds with one stone...

Mine are probably 10 years old hows the math on that...mind you I don't melt pavement with them either...I suspect with a Cruiser that won't be an issue either...

I'm due for fronts now after this year so I think I did good...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Budget36 likes this.
  25. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Not trying to sound rude, But why don't instead of asking everyone else how you should build your car, Why not build it the way you want it? There is four pages here of you asking and seeking others approval on how you should build your car. If you don't know what you want you can not expect others to know for you! Don't worry about being "Cool Daddio" as you say! Just build your car the way you want it and don't worry so much about what everybody else thinks. I also seen you use the term "more door" Sorry but no matter what you call it at the end of the day it will always be a 4 door, And there is nothing wrong with that! I personally if it were mine would do every damn 40's-50's custom trick I could to it to take away some of the ugly of that car, Because truth be told those 39-40 merc four doors are so god damn big and Ugly that they are beautiful! LOL:D:D[/QUOTE]

verde742, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  26. 2k for bias?
    Screw tradition then.
    Sand some radials.
    Speedway lists 670 Firestones at $860.
    Is Canadian taxes/shipping/whatever else that high?

Budget36, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I say if they last 8- 10 years how much is that a day...How much are the Auburns for a set? He's also going www.

I'm not telling I'm just giving ways of looking at things...Anthony your making me hungry sticking that bun out there like that, cheese croissant?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Time to go mission impossible on those tires

Stogy likes this.