Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's the appeal of a Shoebox Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kilohertz, Mar 11, 2022.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Different cars appeal to different people. Shoebox Ford's, Tri fives chevys, Etc. Whether it crosses over from the generation when they were cool into a broader audience is the question.

Neither one do much for me personally.

I'd say shoebox ford's have a loyal following, not huge / broad appeal. Selling one will have challenges cause the guys that love them probably already have one. :D

Had a friend that always wanted one and ended up buying 2. If you can see the rockers rusting, plan on replacing everything from the front fender to the rear wheel - then doing full floors.

That blue car needs a lot of metal work. If you don't love that model, walk away.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man, the "car that saved Ford". The first big project of the Duece. The last rendition of the engine that changed EVERYTHING in the automotive industry. (It cracks me up when people complain about the flathead...) Depends what you're into. Obviously if you're a horsepower guy a flathead isn't for you, but it's undeniable the flathead changed everything at the time it was released. And everything else that came after it wouldn't exist if it weren't for hank's engineers.

I don't know what's not to love if you're a Ford guy. Personally, and I of course may be biased, but I think it's difficult to overstate the importance of this car of post war era if you're looking from an automotive history point of view. The coupes have beautiful lines, they're comfortable for four people at least... a perfect start for a custom cruiser. Model A's are great, but I need something I can fit my family in.

And no parts? You're kidding, right? Parts are literally everywhere for shoeboxes and flatheads...

HOWEVER, I would pass on that project too, and agree you can buy a cool one already done well cheaper and easier than building that one.

3. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Didn't like them new don't like them now. Too many other cars to build that have the look

4. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I HAVE BUYERS REGRET OVER A 51 VICTORIA KUSTOM
    GREAT DRIVING CAR THAT EVERYONE NOTICES

210superair likes this.
  5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This statement seems to be self-contradictory.o_O Please explain.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

I never had the desire to own one. But this one sure looks good to me. FB_IMG_1647140451245.jpg

7. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Best Advice May Be To Decide If You Like Them Enough...I Do... 2-1618328076200.jpg

Barn Hunter, MO_JUNK, 270ci and 10 others like this.
  8. As far as the appeal of a younger generation.
    I work with high school students. Old cars are like space ships. Most of my students dig any old car we discuss. Even the 4 doors. They are living in an era where most everything has 4 escape hatches. So “extra” doors seems normal.
    I’ve had students at shows and old is old and that usually translates to cool for them.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  9. sunbeam

sunbeam

It seems to be anti Hot rod or Custom but I never was a fan of 1949-51 fords or Mercury. To me the 1952-54 cars were better looking.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    dan31 likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lucas Doolin had a fast one !

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Even if you loved shoebox Fords, I'd pass that project and find a more solid one.

I bought a '51 Club Coupe recently and have been very happy with it. (265 Chevy, 5-speed, Ford 8.8 rear)

IMG_20220113_164547308.jpg

12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'd also add that it's more how a car is done that determines if I like it or not, whatever it is. I've seen shoeboxea I love, and hate, and same goes for the over coddled 32 Ford...

lothiandon1940, eaglebeak and Malcolm like this.
  13. adam401

adam401

It takes a ton of work to get a car over the finish line. If you dont love a car its not worth messing with. On the flip side if i like it I'll build a car and not worry about if it makes sense financially.

Malcolm and seb fontana like this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not important what I like, so I wasn't even going to say. But I do like the coupes. And I just have to say something if they look like the one that @Malcolm has. Nice. Simple. Not scraping the ground. Nice. I'll take one like yours. In black.

I heard somebody say years ago... They look like a half use bar of soap. It was meant as a compliment LOL. Nice and smooth.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well for the same amount of time effort and money you could build a 49 - 52 Chevrolet so I say just cancel the whole idea.
    I may be slightly biased. ;)

arkiehotrods likes this.
  16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In the early to mid 50's the three most popular cars in America were 50 Olds, 50 Merc, and 50 Ford. That's what I remember, this photo is a shining example. Bing's Speed Shop.jpg

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The examples posted in this thread are sure nice!

19. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

IMG_0182.JPG
    He had a minor effect on me.

MO_JUNK, arkiehotrods, dan c and 7 others like this.
  20. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

My '49 Meteor Coupe (mild custom) is up in Enderby at Valley Customs getting the interior done. If you want to go for a short road trip to check it out, give Jack a call and tell him Cal sent you.

kilohertz likes this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

So there's a good shot the engine is good? A good running late flathead, especially one a buyer could hear run and do a compression test on, is pretty valuable these days. You might think about selling the engine separately if you do get it to run.

There's lots of guys looking to get a running flathead and there's lots of guys who might want to take on a rusty shell like this if it's cheap enough, but I'd bet most don't want both.

If it was cheap enough, I'd buy that in a heartbeat, pull the engine and sell the car.

22. kilohertz

kilohertz
    from Vernon, BC

Hey that's cool, that's Jack Kalf's shop. He is going to be putting the convertible top on my '68 Firebird this year. Long story but it's the frame that got bent at Mike Hall's Rust Valley restorers shop on their '68 Camaro build...too funny.

Small world. Road trip! He's about 45 minutes from my shop.

Cheers

23. DSC01258.JPG Ford's first new design , post WWII .. my old 49 Business Coupe... mild custom.. twin carb flathead six

Rolleiflex, Spoggie, 50Fraud and 8 others like this.
  24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

25. indyjps

indyjps

I like it, good point of view versus jaded hot rodders. Any kid that's into cars is good by me, old ones even better.

Kinda OT, but I've watched the kid down the street go from a rice machine slammed on the ground, tires kicked out 30 degrees and LEDs to buying a newish 5.7 challenger. Made me smile when he upgraded. He was waxing it - 45 degrees outside - he's in the club.

26. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Striking styling differences from 1948's appearance no doubt made a lasting impression on buyers. Chevrolet held onto outboard rear fenders look until 1954.
    Shoebox Fords just look tight and right.

Spoggie, Randall, MO_JUNK and 3 others like this.
  27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you notice that all of the pictures of "shoebox" Fords posted on this thread are coupes? There is one Victoria as well.

Squablow likes this.
  28. birdman1

birdman1

My older brother first car was a 1949 ford. Why would anyone want a 1949 Chevy or anything else??? Plus, just watch thunder road!!!

210superair likes this.
  29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah, kinda. I'm not really even sure what a shoebox sedan looks like. As is evident, shoeboxes are not on everybody's love at first site list, such as a '40.

I knew they weren't 4 doors. :)

30. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I have never owned one but there appeal for me had always been the one used in the movie Thunder Road.... Something about opening the hood and seeing a three deuce Olds motor setting there...