Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What,s the point of this gauge ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 GAZ, Mar 13, 2022.

1. I have this two in one gauge :confused: . It,s almost 4 inch diameter. Would this be from a truck ? Surely a truck dashboard is big enough for two separate gauges. Or is it from a tractor or other machine ?

101_3461.JPG 101_3467.JPG

Budget36 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. BJR

BJR

Lots of 30's cars and newer English cars have 2 in 1 gauges like that. Float in the oil pan and a switch to toggle between the gas and oil. Don't know about the size, but that looks like a new aftermarket gauge to me.

34 GAZ likes this.
  3. Thanks, here,s the before pics , old and crusty. Took it apart and soaked the rear shell in cleaning vinegar for 2 days front.JPG rear.JPG

harpo1313, Paul, Fabulous50's and 9 others like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Wow you did a great job of cleaning that gauge up, it looks new.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's presumably some manufacturing cost saving in fitting a dual purpose gauge. Besides, being able to check the engine oil from a gauge on the dash is a useful thing, but you wouldn't necessarily require a constant reading, so adding that functionality to the fuel gauge makes some sense.

That gauge looks great!

Chris

Blues4U, lothiandon1940 and 34 GAZ like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

A quick google search shows that it's a British thing, Lucas and Jaeger gauges have it.

and it seems backwards to me...they should have the oil gage front and center, and fuel require a push to read. Because last weekend I was driving an old British car with a full time oil pressure gage, and it flatlined.....

34 GAZ likes this.
  7. KenC

KenC

I had the same thought on first read. Then I reread it, it probably an oil level gauge, not pressure, it may be inaccurate when the engine is running and all the oil isn't in the pan. So my assumption is that it is intended to show the level when the engine is stopped, just like the dipstick.

8. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

AAh old British an Italian car so much fun

34 GAZ likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

That could well be, I guess more research is needed. I've never seen an oil level gauge on an old car, but the Brits did some neat things. The fuel gauge on my TD is a light, that goes on when fuel level drops to about 1/4 tank.

34 GAZ likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ahhhh, Lucas……never mind!

Bones

Fabulous50's, 34 GAZ and squirrel like this.
  11. BJR

BJR

The 1932 Hupmobile I used to own had a gas/oil gauge, and I have seen them on other old cars. I think there is one on the 1934 Pierce Arrow and Cord also. They were on the higher end cars of the 30's in the US.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    34 GAZ and squirrel like this.
  12. By taking a couple of pokes at the interwebs, it seems that 100mm (slightly less than 4") gauges are British for sure, and likely other metric cultures including Japanese.
    I think big, commercial truck, diesel engines have supersized crankcases so an 'oil level' gauge may be very useful for them. This is beyond my experience and intelligence so take this info with a grain of salt. :oops:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    squirrel, 34 GAZ and belair like this.
  13. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without doubt it is an oil level gauge, not oil pressure. Generally Brit cars didn't have oil pressure gauges, typically just a light, which Ialways took to mean 'install new engine soon, if not immediately', or 'prepare to continue journey on foot'.

I had a 1999 Jaguar XKR which, being a performance, grand tourer, had an oil pressure gauge, as the discerning driver of such a quality car would reasonably expect. Switching on the ignition the gauge would, in a smooth, gentlemanly fashion, move from zero to the 12 o'clock position and stay there, whether the engine was running or not!!!!

Chris

34 GAZ and Fabulous50's like this.
  14. That was when Ford still owned Jaguar, and was a Ford thing. Although the Brits didn't quite get it right. Ford kept getting US customer complaints about oil pressure falling off while idling (even after explaining that was normal) so used a faux gauge connected to a regular oil pressure sensor like would be used for a oil light. As long as there was enough pressure to trigger the sensor the gauge would read 'normal', if pressure dropped enough the gauge would zero out...

Happydaze, 34 GAZ and Stan Back like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

I’m not sure how practical it is, but a cool gauge and great work restoring it too.

34 GAZ likes this.
  16. The British cars have them as part of the start-up procedure. When the ignition is turned on, the "oil level" circuit is energized, so you know how many pints of oil have leaked out while parked.

17. rusty valley

rusty valley

My 29 packard had no dipstick, and a corkscrew type gauge on the block like a lawn mower tank

34 GAZ likes this.