Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 heavy axle info

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3w Hank, Mar 10, 2022.

1. 3w Hank

3w Hank

A question on heawy axles.

What distance has a 1932 front axle ( king pin to kingpin )

On my 32 I was first into pinch the front as I ’m inspired on Larry Rollers coupe.
    I has been into both new frame and a std frame.
    As car will be built in late 40’s style I like use a std frame and that get me into a own ’conflict’ on the pinch or not.
    Even if I has the frame in front as they come from Henry ( I might change the rear of frame to get the high heel look )

I can get both a std ’heavy’ axle and a old dropped heavy axle to this frame.
    -But right now I cant check them out.
    Going std frame I need the dropoed one in a A-Ford cross.

I seen 2 style of ( as they call heavy axles ) one tiny and one thicker.
    I don’t know what the perch distance is on a 32 wichbone (?)
    Do read there are 2” and 2.1/4” perch on axle itself.

Yesterday I saw a 32 heavy axle ( owner of car said it was a std ) but I’m not shore, but the perch was 2.1/4” and I-beam was near 2.1/4” aswell ( did look beefy )
    He had also a hewvy axle ( as he said, a non dropped ) but it was tiny over I-beam and perch was at 2” ( he got confused as me )

Need info om subject.

Here is what this shop said.

http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com...eatured_products/superbell-heavy-i-beam-axle/

Se on picture how I like see a heavy axle, perch and I-beam at 2.1/4”.

2. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

A stock 1932 heavy beam axle measures 51 inches kingpin center to kingpin center. All 1932 Ford heavy beam axles are all the same and have a 2 inch perch.

Carter likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

There is only one (with a few VERY slight visual forging peculiarities) 32 axle. There is no such thing as a light 32 axle. Anyone telling you they have a 32 axle that isn't thick across the web has a 33-36 axle. They fit in the exact same place, and were used as a dealer replacement for damaged originals, but they didn't come on a 32 Ford.

Even the magazines have perpetuated the error, as seen below:

axle pic labeled wrong.jpg

4. clem

clem

My heavy axle measures 1280mm = 51.39 inches centre line to centre line when measured at the top of holes. The light one was 1285mm. ( tape measure was made in China )
    Perch thickness is 50mm, obviously worn a little from 2”.
    I know from years back the light one is 15mm difference between the perch bolts than the heavy.

Bear in mind that they may have been forged in different factory’s so there may be slight differences - I don’t know how or where they were made.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    stillrunners likes this.

5. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Ok,
    Thank's.
    If I get it right the distance for a 32 is around 51" and all 32's axle has a perch distance of 2" ( as the wishbone )
    I seen more tiny one ( perch was 2" but I-beam was way thinner ) and this ones I call 'light' and I seen more thicker.

The A-ford 5 coupe I saw yesterday that had a 32 frame and ( and according to owner ) it was std bones from 32 and a 'heavy axle', but don't take that as a fact.
    Both perch and I-beam was around 57-58 mm so it make up at a 2.25" and look beefy.
    I guees he or someone else then milled up the bones ?

As I showed from Poises the Superbell 4002 had a 2" perch and the 4002-2 has a 2.1/4", but I wonder if the I-beam also is 2.1/4" or is perch 2.1/4" and I-beam 2" or less ?
    ( that axle from Superbell has a 50.5" distance, not 51" )

I don't need to has 32 on my coupe, I like to use what was common in the late 40's era for racers.
    Personally I like them better if not that tiny, and if that mean they are from 34 or 36 cars than really don't matter, but I pefree a Henry axle, not a new one.

Sorry on questons, it might not be a 'cool' thread as someone comment my other thread on 36 rear wishbones, but one can't know things if not ask and I guess it's been asked many times before.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  6. Andy

Andy

It may have a Model A axle and bones. The parts are lighter an have 2 1/4” thick perches and bones. They are about the same king pin to king pin. 1937 and later parts went back to 2” thick. The bones have real thick upper bosses to support the springs being mounted forward

7. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

I think Andy meant to say that 1937 and later went back to 2-1/4" spring perch bosses/

Only 1932-36 had the 2" perch bosses.

8. Andy

Andy

Lamaison, You are right! Thanks

9. the flatlander

the flatlander

Guess no need to confuse him about all the different axles available aftermarket & perch to perch & kp to kp ....remember when hairpin & 4 bar kits used to come with spacers to fit the 2" axle ?? keep it tween the ditches pal.

10. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I has bought the parts but I had not them here yet, so I will come back on measure and pictures.

It’s said to be 32 bones and a std 32 heavy axle dropped back in the days.
    I seen the parts but came to think of this case ( and try solve it ) vs 2” perch or 2.1.4” and was I-beam less than 2” etc etc.
    I’ll seen so tiny axles and I like them more beefy ( guess they has been repros even if owners told me = std 32, my guess its confused for many.

-My projects had get several turns but now its decided on that chassie ( 32 std frame ) 36 rearaxle/bones, std 32 fron axle.
    I will not pinch the frame but maybe rear modifications.
    No Brockville body as I bought a very nice body near 100% rustfree and straight ( did pay 30K include a good 20 louvers hood and a good grille.
    Chassie include a firewall, S/W Hollywood dash, pedals, handbrake, steering/gear and a 46 complete engine and a not perfect Lincoln transmission and a Halibrand was in US 23K.
    So that get me a ’near’ roller arond 50K here in Sweden but I ecpect another 50K in it, guess even maybe another 50...
    This is expensive cars and I cone from dragracing.

clem, alchemy and rusty valley like this.