Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Auto Cooler identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank Davis, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Frank Davis

Frank Davis

I have a Auto cooler that I cannot find any info on....This is called a "Idler" auto cooler model A1.....would love to know the era and history of this type (swamp) cooler, and how it worked.....Any help is greatly appreciated. idler cooler 2.jpg idler cooler 4.jpg idler cooler 3.jpg idler cooler 1.jpg

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A swamp cooler for a car. with those tubes running though it I am wondering if it was connected to a heater core type setup or plumbed into the heater bypassing engine heat so that chilled water flowed to the heater or an auxillary box like a heater to put out the chilled air.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

does it have a motor that drives the squirrel cage fan? and a water line fitting to provide water to the copper tube at top of the wood fiber pad?

more pictures would help.

It sure looks like an evaporative cooler, which works pretty well in the dry southwest, but not so good in the humid places. They are used on houses mostly.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Listen to Squirrel, he must be an expert on those squirrel cage fans...

5. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The second picture, if the squirrel cage wasn’t sitting in there, looks a lot like the “operating” principle of the cooler on the golf cart I had in Palm Springs. Pump water from the center container into the jute, and blow air thru the outer louvres. As Jim said, only works in low humidity. On a golf cart it helped at 90, and that was about it. More pictures please. It’s cool (pardon the pun).

loudbang likes this.
  6. The copper tube has holes along the bottom, and is connected to a pump (probably driven by the fan motor) which dribbles the water down the pad.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Frank Davis

Frank Davis

This has no electric motor to run the fan.....I know this was placed over the "Hump" in the floor and the legs were adjusted for height, just don't know how it works or what era it was mfg.

8. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

The top pic shows a speedometer type drive poking out of the cabinet, that would have driven the fan and pump.