Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dual Exhaust 1950 Ford Tudor

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Chop50, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Chop50

Chop50

Hi All,
    Looking for a good way to set up a dual exhaust system for 8BA flathead in a 50 Ford Tudor. I am told that the Fenton cast headers do not fit very well and stock manifolds don't lend themselves to converting to dual exhaust. There must be a good solution out there as this is a traditional build.
    Thanks, Steve

2. A couple of years ago I bought a Bob Drake LH manifold for my '50. I hear they are no longer available. Too bad, it fit well and made a dual exhaust conversion quick and easy. Someone out there must have something to do this.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I had the Fenton headers on mine and they fit well, no problems. I also had the exhaust pipes that were made specifically for the Fenton headers. The left side was bent to go under the clutch linkage and they fit nice. I can't remember if the tailpipes came with the exhaust pipes or if I did those. Sorry, but don't remember where I ordered them from, was just over 20 years ago. But I think I have an extra set of the exhaust pipes that are new. I can check when I get back home in a couple of weeks. I am camping at the moment. Ron

lothiandon1940 and Chop50 like this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Fenton headers on my '51 club coupe. The left hand head pipe had to be custom made (as mentioned above). These are genuine Fenton headers. I don't know about the reproductions, but I have heard that they are slightly different than the originals, which may lead to problems.

Back in the day, they sold dual exhaust kits that consisted of a block off for the front of the right side manifold and a pipe that bolted to the front of the left side manifold and looped up and went back and down under the firewall. I would think someone still makes this setup or anyone with a bender and welder could make one.

EDIT : Waldron's makes still this kit, but it is expensive and currently back-ordered. https://waldronexhaust.com/product/1936-53-ford-flathead-v8-dual-conversion-kit/. However, the only really unique piece is the left side exhaust pipe (shown in the right-center of Waldron's picture). I believe this could be easily made with some preformed bends, some pipe, a flange, and a welder by someone with basic skills.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    loudbang likes this.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I used Red's Headers on my 50 and they fit great but are tube headers rather than cast like the Fenton.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Tube headers to lakes/dual muffs out back on my 51...

8. I put one of those kits on my brother's '53 Victoria waay back when, and although if wasn't as attractive as headers, it sounded good. You are right, headers vs stock manifolds is probably not a big performance gain. The Speedway tubing would be a good place to start, and it's inexpensive enough to experiment with

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. 1952henry

1952henry

Do the 8RT manifolds lend themselves to dual exhaust in a car? They had the under engine crossover

10. Chop50

Chop50

I had called Speedway and they informed me that the Fentons are not a great fit in a Shoebox. They had suggested "center dump headers".
    Stock manifolds would be ideal if not for the left side manifold.
    I am after the sound which is why I wanted to use cast iron headers.

11. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Unless they have changed something, the remanufactured Fenton headers that I put on my '50 Ford Tudor in 1996, fit without any problems. The exhaust (down pipes) that I ordered were made to fit the Fenton headers. I used Smitty's mufflers and echo cans out the back. It sounded great and really rumbled thru tunnels. I also had functional Lakes Pipes. Engine was .030 over, Isky cam, Edlebrock 4V manifold, Holley 390cfm carb and Mallory dual point dist. Broke 12 trans and one axle. I like to power shift. Lol. Put over 80k miles on it in 10 years. Pretty much a daily driver and 5 long trips averaging about 1000 miles one way on each trip. Ron

12. Chop50

Chop50

Ron,
    That sounds awesome! Perhaps the only way for me to know if the Fenton's will work would be to buy a set and try them. How was your low end with the Isky cam? Which model cam?
    I have a stock trans in it now but have an overdrive trans to install. Also have a 4-spd Top-Loader f/66 Galaxie under the bench.
    Steve

13. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

FH1.jpeg ......................................................................................... Sandersen ford flathead headers for the win. Part # fh 1

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Food for thought. An overwhelming majority of automobile manufacturers have used cast iron exhaust manifolds for decades for very good reasons.

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

yeah, cause headers always leak

16. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I had a 50 ford with tube headers and the LH exhaust pipe had a hole worn in it from the steering arms rubbing when making hard turns. The arms go up and down instead of staying level like you might think. So when you are routing in that area, remember that.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Not sure which cam, but might still have the box. I'll check when I get home. Low end power was good. I could take my Buddy's '57 Chevy, he was running 283 with 4V. I could chirp the tires in 3rd. I started with the stock trans and then went to OD keeping the stock rear gears, could get just at 20 mpg on highway. After that it depended on what trans I had on hand to build when I blew one. Eventually put OD gears in rear and it felt real good at lower speeds. It was a really fun car to drive, especially on road trips. I sold the motor 5 or so years ago with intentions of putting 302 in, but got sidetracked with other projects and the '50 is just sitting in the garage. Actually now I am trying to sell it, think a friend of mine might buy it. Ron

18. Chop50

Chop50

This car has a stance I like but rear tires are difficult to change out should I get a flat.. I have to let the air out of tire, unbolt shock and wrestle the tire out of the fender well. I have a 9" I am thinking of shortening....
    Steve

19. Chop50

Chop50

That is a nice looking set of headers, Thank You!