Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adjusting early Falcon doors

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Fisher400, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Hey guys,

Does anyone have advice or tips for adjusting doors on a Falcon? Specifically a 63 convertible. I had the doors off to rebuild the hinges and I just can't seem to get them "right" now. Tops and molding are ok (for a 60s car), my biggest complaint is the bottom rear corners stick out from the body rather than tucking in to match the body. The door side is "in/out" adjustment and the inside post bolts (a royal pain to access) are up/down/front/back. With the door closed, the door side bolts are covered by the closed hinge, so you can't sneak a socket behind the fender gasket in the wheel well, leaving only interior bolts to monkey with. Is there any tips or steps to follow to get these close?

Thanks!

2. natrlgas49

natrlgas49

They aren't easy with the fenders on. They are the same as mustangs. The latch can also be moved to get better fits. But the only way I got mine on was use a floor jack to help support the doors and tighten the bolts till thye hold a little and move the door to where it is needed. The hinge bolts will need to be tight enough to hold but still loose enough to be able to adjust with door closed. Open slowly with jack under door to help support when opening door to tighten hinge bolts. A real pain in the A .

Fisher400 likes this.
  3. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Good stuff guys, I was hoping for an easy fix I was overlooking but it appears like anything: advanced planning, time, trial/error and maybe a case of beer....haha