Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1955 LA Used Car lot - all customs & hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 302GMC, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

[​IMG]
    Isn't that a small taillight that looks like it might be mounted to the bumper arm on passenger side? Don't think one is on driver's side... must be a standard!!:D

Love the chop but needed a rear window without a divider.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. I remember going to the L.A, Roadster Show in 1978. My 2 friends and I got into L.A. in the evening, and drove around. We came across a used car lot with some Cobra kit cars, and some other interesting cars, They just had a little 1 strand wire fence around the lot. When we stepped over the wire to get a better look at the cars, a loudspeaker came on and said that if we didn't leave the police would show up. Not wanting any problems we left.

ct1932ford and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure Al but there is a slot near the top of the bumper on the driver side after closer scrutiny...it sure makes a lot of sense not to shave the tailights...​

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. SR100

SR100

Looks like a Cord 810 window.

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

But they all had streamers flying about. 2019-10-20_183441.jpg

6. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Andy Andrews later than above had a lot right on Van Nuys Blvd. I almost bought a 62 340 Vette
    for mid 2K but passed as motor had a knock when cold. There might have been a reputation issue as well if I remember. Shoulda bought it anyway.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I might be blind but what did you photoshop?

NoSurf and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He stretched the image into a direct square on image mimicking a scanned one...I do that quite often...

I understand snapping pics on angles, not everyone is a professional in photo presentation, the images are preferred scanned but that's not always possible, I get it...I appreciate any way Hambers can get the pics shared they do their best...I also appreciate someone doing a quick edit to help present greatness in a more formal way...

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You bring up an interesting point, is it a 40 Ford at all...40's did have split back windows but it may be an even odder duck, at a minimum it is heavily Hammered with shaved drip rails and no doubt numerous other details and seemingly very well done...

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

In the '50s, there was a car lot on Santa Monica in West Hollywood called Custom City. I remember checking out the cars one day, and there was an immaculate '40 coupe with an Ardun in it. Price was $800!

olscrounger and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If one had the foresight and dough and some did, one could have retired a millionaire doing just that, buying them up...you saw and did some cool stuff during your continuing walk...wish you had a camera that day @50Fraud...

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Me too!

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carlot1.jpg

Carlot2.jpg

:rolleyes:...Just an example...Photoshop is a photo-manipulation tool...it has many tools to achieve different results...the top image is straightened using the warp & distort tool and the bottom image is the original shared...

It does distort the image when Warping back but one has to understand a curled up image is itself distorted, it is also very easy to overdo it but I think I succeeded in capturing a pretty good representation...

...And again this is in no way sending a message to those that have old photos not to get them on...PLEASE do any way you can...We sincerely thank you for doing so...;)

Hamtown Al, ClayMart and Bob Lowry like this.
  14. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

We had a car lot on Scottsdale Rd. in the 60's right in the middle of Scottsdale, AZ.,
    and every car was a high performance, factory car. '62 Bubbletop, '61 348's, Corvettes,
    Malibu's, you name it. I was only 15 and couldn't drive yet, but drooled when I either hitchhiked or bummed a ride to it. My best memory was when they had an '63 Plymouth Ramcharger with an aluminum front end on it. You could just walk over the chain and see any car, so they had a big sign on the windshield NOT to touch the fenders, which of course everyone did and pushed on it with your thumb to see if it really was aluminum. And yep, it was. They took the car away after about two weeks because it looked like it had been in a hail storm. I had no money but dreamt well. Bob

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its weird being I was born in 1960 and when of an age to understand Used car lots I have never seen fortress like situations...from my memory they wanted people on the lot looking and dreaming but alas the times must have been different back in the day...and I suspect shit even today gets damaged but cameras are everywhere which I suspect was not the case back then...these pics featured are 1955 right in the thick of premium Hotrod/Custom, Henry would have approved of that lot as Black seemed to be in heavy abundance...

Bob Lowry and ct1932ford like this.
  16. fuzzface

fuzzface

"25 bucks down and drive it off the lot. times sure have changed."

Yes, they have changed.

I remember grampa would tell us almost weekly about his first car. it was a model t that they brought for $17 because the used model a cost too much at $25. Even at $17 for the t, they had to finance it thru the car lot at $1 a month.

Going up to Iola with my dad and his long time friend years ago he told us about how he brought a new corvette in the 60's ( I don't remember the exact year anymore). He loved that car but only had it 2 years. He got his girlfriend pregnant and ended up trading it in for a family station wagon. He always wished he could have afforded both cars back then.

Stogy likes this.
  17. [​IMG]I
    I googled Custom City, Santa Monica....

Stogy and Sancho like this.
  18. Born in 1960!:eek: I was already taking my parents 1949 Plymouth on joy rides.:cool:

loudbang, Sky Six and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly...I was on nipple patrol...:p...my 1965 and older is only in inspiration...but I'll take my posing over missing it completely...:D

hotrodjack33 and ct1932ford like this.
  20. Nipple Patrol!:p

hotrodjack33, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Excellent Photos 302GMC And Very Appreciated...(From Jay And I).. DSCN5134.JPG

loudbang, Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  23. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I think of my missed opportunities on buying some great cars back in those days. and at sticks unlimited in Pasadena I even walked away from a nice 67 427 vette roadster because I thought it was over priced at $2000. however I did buy the 56 project vette that was on the back row on the lot in La Habra on Whittier Boulevard for $200 with pink and towed to my house. A lot of should’ve would’ve could’ve‘s.

williebill and Stogy like this.
  24. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

also probably some of my dad’s cars were on those lots too...

and that 56 vette... like a dummy I sold it after I got it running and driving to a dealer in Salt Lake City. (under $1000.) at least it’s still around I’m sure... probably with a nice paint job by now!

Stogy likes this.
  25. I wonder what the story with the Champ Car was? upload_2022-3-11_12-16-28.png

LOU WELLS and Stogy like this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-3-14_4-31-4.png

Hello,

From 1955 to 4-5 years later at Lion’s Dragstrip is a possibility. Look at the chop and body style. Then look at the Orange/Red Mercury Coupe that was filmed at Lion’s Dragstrip in 1959-60.
    upload_2022-3-14_4-37-1.png Mercury Coupe
    Similarities exist, the chop, the 5 windows, the smooth rear, the style converted to a full race Altered Coupe.

Jnaki

upload_2022-3-14_4-40-11.png
    Someone on the early HAMB years is mentioned rebuilding this Orange Altered Coupe and perhaps has more history from the old purchase and photos.
    upload_2022-3-14_4-41-10.png very early Friday Art

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CCC-barris-1940-ford-chopped-coupe-12.jpg

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/cc-builders/barris-kustom-shop/barris-1940-ford-chopped-coupe/

:rolleyes:...The 1st moment I saw this I thought I'd found a slam dunk but in my opinion although it's not it I'm thinking it was inspired by it or perhaps it was itself the inspiration for what Barris did...Senior Barris that is...because, yes this is a Barris Custom...check the link out...one major difference is the Molding of the fenders into the body and the lack of side trim...I actually thought the differences were added after 55...but that is not the case...anyways love the old history trying to connect dots because it's fun and does happen...;)

Bandit Billy, Sancho and Hamtown Al like this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

The chop on the car above sure does look like the old picture, and the above car has clearly had a ton of recent, non-period style customizing done to it. Not saying that for sure means it's the same, but doesn't rule it out, either.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not Squablow...check out Riksters link...the new Owner of this brought it back a number of years with some adjustments...

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Squablow I just had another look at the car lot Custom...If the fenders are in fact molded and they are not gasketed and removable as I think I'm seeing that does change my thoughts somewhat but I have to revisit Riksters Thread to see when Barris built the one I shared...the Barris one is and it almost looks as if it's not in that new pic so it got me questioning what I'm seeing...I value your thoughts always...

The car lot image is angled such that it's pretty hard to see if there is a Barris badge and again what I'm thinking is removable referencing the rear fender and front may in fact be an Light/reflective illusion. If I recall the tailights were pretty high up on the Barris Coupe and didn't last long if it is the Car lotter...

I know your eye is pretty sharp too so I'm still curious and still poking my nose around...I mean it's so hard to believe things so well done disappear but life's like that...we see it here all the time.