Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Rodders Journal Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The ideaman, Feb 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan, HR went to shit when the Roadkill guy took over. He's into Camaros, muscle cars, and junk. Nothing that belongs in a magazine with the history HR has. If anyone thinks he has ANY real hot rod experience, I offer his TV show as proof he is clueless.

2. 296ardun

296ardun

I have a closet-full of Rodder's Journals, and always awaited the next issue. But I understand that the combination of Covid, moving offices, an other things got TRJ off the tracks. Down inside somewhere, I had faith that Steve and his crew would make it good, and never took a verbal swing at him or TRJ. There were some things I liked in TRJ better than other things (never was a fan of bare-metal cars, or some of the over-painted low-riders), but overall it was a great product, and am looking forward to its return.

KevKo, oldsjoe, akoutlaw and 13 others like this.
  3. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Camaros have their place. In the now defunct Car Craft!

Butler 32, hotrodjack33 and Dean Lowe like this.
  4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Don't forget that Freiburger is also the person who spearheaded Hot Rod Deluxe. When they were throwing all those old pictures and negatives in the dumpster, he dug them out and saved them.

As for Camaros and muscle cars, Hot Rod has been covering them since they first came out over 50 years ago so you can't blame him for that.

Anyway, he hasn't been associated with the magazine for some time now, he's only doing the TV shows.

wraymen, lumpy 63, El Hueso and 9 others like this.
  5. Some random thoughts:
    RE TRJ, I don't know exactly what happened, and I don't really care, it's none of my business... my business with TRJ begins and ends with my purchase. He says he is going to make it right and I will wait and see. It is also none of my business how he gets it back off the ground. He is under no obligation to tell anyone any details about what happened or any of the details about how he is going to bring it back. His obligation to publishers, banks, advertisers, etc are no ones business. It is strictly between them and him. Just like my subscription is between me and him. The attitude that he owes anyone a detailed explanation about his business dealings that they are not involved with is ridiculous.
    He has publicly told me, as a subscriber, that he is going to fulfill his end of our agreement and that is all I need to know.

RE Hot Rod. They have evolved just like hot rodding has evolved. in the 40s guys were modifying 10-20 year old cars because they were plentiful and cheap, you could modify other parts to fit and make them go faster and stop better...
    In the 50s guys were building 10-20 year old cars because they were cheap and plentiful and there was a growing aftermarket for speed parts... same thing happened in the 60s 70s 80s 90s and today. Today car guys are taking 10-20 year old cars and modifying them to go faster, they are taking stock parts from other models and adapting them to fit and there is big aftermarket of parts available.
    Are they traditional hot rods? Nope, but they are hot rods built in the same tradition that every generation has built hot rods...
    The reason they aren't building the kind of "hot rods" we like can be found in the classified section of this website right after the $.
    Does anyone honestly believe the original hot rodders would have paid $2500 in 1940s money for a 32 ford? The median home value in 1940 was $2980.
    Just like today, no 20 year old is going to pay $50k to build a traditional hot rod...
    And the way we keep raising our sale prices they won't build one when they are 50 either.
    End rant... sorry...
    Chappy

Papas32, KevKo, oldsjoe and 18 others like this.
  6. Yep. And on point.
    However, I also have no issue with folks voicing displeasure with a vendors service.
    As far as HR. Covering new/late model cars, trends, trying new technology…… is them doing exactly as they started.
    I open up a 50s era HR and I see tech associated with that period. Same as today.
    My only critique would be how tech articles seem more like commercials.
    I’ve heard a lot of complaints about ads. Those ads are a reason the mag can keep existing. (Probably the same with the tech article/commercial)
    So I guess flipping some pages of spam is Ok and better than not having the mag.

KevKo, Snicklefritz65, i.rant and 6 others like this.
  7. Hey this is a Godsend for me….bring it on…truly miss getting RJ in my mailbox….still the best car magazine ever…

hrm2k, LTM75110, The ideaman and 6 others like this.
  8. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Early Camaros today are the Deuce coupe of yester-year... I don't care about Camaros, except that they make excellent parts donors... but the young 'uns do & they're the one's who will keep Hot Rodding alive when we old 'uns are gone.

SS327 and Butler 32 like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All this talk of Canadians magazines, I’ve mentioned this before.
    There is a publication done right here in Edmonton Alberta titled Garage Shots Magazine.
    https://www.garageshotsmagazine.com/#
    The quality is right up to par with TRJ.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

10. I love that magazine Larry, beautifully done.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. 5window

5window

12. That's Cdn Dollars so about $18.00 US.

Blue One and 5window like this.
  13. saltracer219

saltracer219

You very well might be right, I hope not! Building a Hot Rod has way more to it than just going fast. The mechanical aspect and the ability to make something from virtually nothing is the challenge we all love. Electrics will greatly diminish the mechanicals as well as the sight, sound and smells of a true Hot Rod, yes they will be fast..... but fast with no soul and no personality kills it for this old Hot Rodder/Racer! I have watched electrics run at Bonneville and even at well over 200 m.p.h. they are less exciting than watching paint dry! I have no desire to drive a slot car, and IMO if you cannot relate to this than your not truly a traditional Hot Rodder. So embrace E.V.'s if you want but they have no place in a traditional Hot Rod or on a traditional forum.

38Chevy454, Baumi, mctim64 and 8 others like this.
  14. 5window

5window

It is true that EVs don't fit on a traditional Hot Rod site, any more than HAMB cars fit on a site for Brass Era vehicles. But those who take a car,re-tweak or adapt parts to fit or to "make something from virtually nothing" with EVs are still hotordders, just not in this bracket. "No soul and no personality" for you doesn't necessarily mean a different generation doesn't hear a different, but equally valid song.

15. yep
    I have no clue what “heart and soul” is missing with an EV.
    I’ve heard the same term used when folks change engines between makes. Or make any other change not approved buy the masses.
    A hot rod is a custom. They are built to suit the builder. No different now than when the first kid ripped some fenders off a model t

Nostrebor, Carter, 5window and 2 others like this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good dude… but no one was throwing out archival photos and he didn’t start HRD. He did, however, run it for a bit.

Nads, mctim64, Sancho and 8 others like this.
  17. I didn’t read this whole thread so forgive me if this isn’t new information. Steve moved from California to get away from the high cost of….well everything in California and to be close to his new US printer in Virginia. Problem is, the new printer went out of business. The move to Maryland was to be close to ailing family and to be closer to his friends in Maryland, where Steve is from. After restructuring, again, he’s moving ahead. He has #85 all but done. I had lunch with a bunch of guys in Denton and Steve was there. He showed us his layouts for the new issue on his PC. He had hoped to have it out last January, but alas, in this time of shortages, he had problems finding the good paper he likes for the magazine. Not making excuses for him, just telling you what happened. So long story longer, he is moving forward and hopefully issue 85 will be in our mailbox’s soon. I know, like most of you, I’ll be happy to see him back! Best of luck Steve!

18. Fordors

Fordors

That has to be the most factual, honest and straight forward post in this thread. It’s not from the horse’s mouth but I believe every word.
    @OL 55 Steve could use you on his staff, you have just done what he didn’t, but should have to allay our fears.

19. .............Thanks for that update, Andy.

Stogy, Jeff Norwell, OL 55 and 5 others like this.
  20. Good news!

enloe, Stogy, SilverJimmy and 2 others like this.
  21. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Have been patiently waiting so what's another few months. Welcome back, Steve!

P.S. Looking forward to my posters!!

5window, 427 sleeper, enloe and 4 others like this.
  22. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Blue, read the whole title and you will see it is the same magazine that I wrote about. Here in the US they just moved the name around a bit so same mag an quality

23. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

You either get Roadkill or you don't..

hotrodjack33, PoTaToTrUcK and chopped like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Seen that in an old farmers freezer, decided against it.

Texas John likes this.
  25. I guess the biggest question to be answered will be the status of the lifetime subscriptions purchased through the HAMB in the past. I have no skin in the game, but good luck to all who do.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. 5window

5window

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  27. A new issue is fine and dandy but he still owes hundreds of people existing issues and merchandise that they have paid for. Maybe he should be taking care of that first.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here ya go:

upload_2022-3-8_12-15-24.png

Stogy, OL 55, hotrodjack33 and 13 others like this.
  29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have refunded all of the Alliance members that purchased and asked.

30. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I bet you’d have a long list of guys who would love to get those lifetime subscriptions if offered! I’m not giving up on mine, I’ve got a lot of “lifetime” left!

hotrodjack33, Baumi, acme30 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.