Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration More old magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronzmtrwrx, Mar 4, 2022.

1. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I posted here a couple years or so back about a local fella bringing me a bunch of old car magazines. Today he came by and said he was finishing up cleaning out the old books and wanted to let me look through the load to see if I wanted any of them. He probably had twenty boxes in the back of his truck. Of course he had them in labeled boxes pretty much in chronological order. These are the ones I snagged. The rest were newer, truckin and classic car stuff. He was taking them to the recycling bin. 292B89CC-3EF9-4C6E-A217-3F08DFE1BACE.jpeg

Dean Lowe, 35cab, Jimmy and 27 others like this.
  2. williebill

williebill

I've got some of them.
    You did damn good!

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

pure gold... Old magazines are better by far than any of the new ones. I read mine over and over ....

Gotgas, Spooky, drdave and 15 others like this.
  4. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I know what you mean Mark. It takes you back in time. I’m 60 and this fella is 95. He thinks I’m a kid. I guess it’s all relative.

5. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

That red roadster on the cover of Hop Up-53 caught my eye. I thought, man that’s a good lookin car. No wonder. It’s the Dick Flint 29 roadster.

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to go back and look...never seen the Flint roadster with whitewalls...and how about the Pierson Bros coupe on the cover of Sports Cars and Hot Rods

7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Hahaa. I completely missed that. Awesome.

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Sadly, these did not get that kind of care. Some are coming apart and mice eaten. But I’ll treasure them anyway just because of the fella that gave them to me.

9. catdad49

catdad49

You have definitely picked up some Beauties!! Probably one of the hardest things I've had to do lately is weed out my magazines. I think I may just have a cut-off date to keep and get rid of the rest. The little books are always sacred no matter the condition, what are your thoughts? Don't tell the Wife, but I've actually purchased some little ones in the last few yrs.!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. I had almost every title of Hot rodding and custom car magazine dating back to Hot Rod Magazine, January 1948, and up, all original, no repro's. When we moved to Pennsylvania 4 1/2 years ago I gave all of the pre-1970 magazines to one of my sons. I couldn't give away the rest, even to the Veteran's hospital. It broke my heart to take a 12 fo0t trailer , plus my pickup truck full to the town dump. At one time in the past, they had some value. At least my son and grandsons will be able to enjoy them.

chryslerfan55 and bschwoeble like this.
  11. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Great score. Got a ton of those books and love thumbing through them and grab them whenever I see them.

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have thousands as well. My current ones are free. I have over a thousand doubles and triples in the small magazine format. I have listed them in the Classifieds on the HAMB. Not free. I have had only one person buy some. He bought multiples so he got a good deal.

chryslerfan55 and drdave like this.
  13. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Definitely agree on the little books.

14. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Gave nearly a thousand away to friend when marriage ended. Slowly rebuilt collection since, in SPITE of last time! The addiction is REAL!!!

15. Spooky

Spooky

At one time I had a wall filled with magazines, all in order, in binders from about 1949 to the present day. Hot Rod, Motor Trend, Hop Up, Rod and Custom, etc.
    My gal and I discussed my habit, and I consolidated it down to Hot Rod from 1948-1950, a selection of the little mags, and gave away the rest. I did save the Hot Rod DeLuxe though.

chryslerfan55 and ronzmtrwrx like this.
  16. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

OP - great score!

ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  17. atomicglowman

atomicglowman

I have nearly every auto magazine from 48 to the 80s when I started tapering off. If I was to cull the collection, what would be a good "cut off date".

18. 48 to 54

19. Very cool! I had an opportunity a few months back to but about 100 little books from a friend when they were selling his dad’s stuff after he had passed. After going through them all, I have a few duplicates even, but they are just too cool. I can’t remember the last time I bought a new magazine.

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Looks like a great score! My collection started around 1957 when I was in seventh grade. My metal shop teacher gave me an issue of Hot Rod and I was hooked.

catdad49 likes this.
  21. NoelC

NoelC

As a guy who stopped buying more car mags when he realized most were pandering the same old to a new crowd, I took the alternative route of gutting mine of all the tech articals, then placed them into a binder. Recycling the rest of the mag to a proper paper grave, three boxes became three binders.

Attached Files:

catdad49 and CME1 like this.