Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody ever painted a car Evening Orchid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jun 10, 2019.

1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Had a 65 Impala that color with torque thrusts on it when I got married in 1970, my wife really liked the car. I thought it looked good, there were a lot of them around, seemed to be a popular color.

3. LBCD

LBCD

1960 Cadillac Heather Poly is pretty close too[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

5. 64ville

64ville
    from So Cal

My 1964 Cadillac was sprayed in Evening Orchid with a couple passes of lavender pearl.

Attached Files:

6. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

my 65 Nova SS is evening orchid. i believe only 48 left the factory with this color. download (6).jpg download (5).jpg

Deuces, Jim Bouchard, MO_JUNK and 3 others like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

An old thread brought back. The 36 Ford posted earlier is more of a blue color. He also built the Ford coupe posted on page 1 of this thread. Mr. Thompson. Brain fart.

8. j hansen

j hansen

I have to say that there seems to be a wide color spectrum on "Evening Orchid"!:rolleyes: Skärmavbild 2022-03-08 kl. 11.39.56.png Skärmavbild 2022-03-08 kl. 11.40.24.png Skärmavbild 2022-03-08 kl. 11.40.42.png Skärmavbild 2022-03-08 kl. 11.40.58.png

loudbang, Deuces, ekimneirbo and 3 others like this.
  9. That would look great on a '64 Chevelle coupe w/ skylark wires, tube grille & tuck'n'roll

MMM1693 likes this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

he is on here, @chopper99

stanlow69 and Hamtown Al like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, those soft metallics from back then are awesome. about 15 years ago I had a 59 Impala that was customized in the 60's and was painted 1959 Buick Lido Lavendar. All my so called buddies would say "dammit that is a pink car" and all the girls would say " man I really love your car". these colors really go great with white interiors and whitewalls...
    59.jpg

stanlow69, egads, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  12. indyjps

indyjps

Dusk pearl poly 1957 chevy. My uncle ordered one new in that color, mentioned he had a few brawls when guys questioned his manliness for driving a "pink" car, said he always quieted their concerns. Plenty of female passengers were interested in his "pink" ride.

You can have the color mixed to factory specs, or do a light purple pearl over silver. Color match on the factory paint will be easier if needed. Pearl midcoat can control the amount of purple you want - just depends if you're painting it or someone else.

13. I'm gearing up for a mechanical redo of my Purple 38 Chevy coupe that my dad built. The engine and trans is painted a cool light purple-y color. I thought maybe it was a custom mix but...it looks an awful lot like Evening Orchid! It would make sense that my dad a GM guy and Chevy parts man in the 70's pulled an off the shelf color.

14. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

I have a mild custom 1956 Lincoln Premier convertible in original wisteria color. Here's a picture of a stocker.
    [​IMG]

Deuces and Just Gary like this.
  15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I did a 64 ss chevelle in evening orchid a few years back bc/cc and painted it in pieces. Even at different times during a month. :) Lippy

16. The color was also used by Pontiac in 65 as well. It was called Iris Mist. Pretty common for GM to use the same color across multiple brands, but use different names.

Evening Orchid (Chevy)
    [​IMG]

Iris Mist (Pontiac)

[​IMG]

I've seen a few impalas and chevelles painted this color, then there is a 65 GTO convertible that runs around town here locally in Iris Mist.

loudbang, 41 coupe, egads and 2 others like this.
  17. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

When I painted the 49 Ford Evening Orchid, I added a little violet pearl to it, so it is not exactly like the factory evening orchid. The 36 Ford cabriolet I painted with a color I liked from the paint chip book was a fleet color without any real name, although my wife calls it Majestic Blue.

Moriarity, j hansen and bowie like this.
  18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

While the color may appeal to many people, I would hate to tell someone my car was painted "Evening Orchid". Paint it and make up a better name for it.........:p

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ok, it's kind of a purpley silver.:D IMG_1478.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  20. Rand Man

Rand Man

I think it would look great on the right car. There were so many great colors to choose from back then. Nowadays, almost every new car in the road is White. What’s up with that?

Just Gary likes this.
  21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

This color looks killer with a black interior. Lippy

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think this color is gorgeous. IMHO, it's best application would be one of two build styles; a big, beautiful custom car, or an absolutely full house hot rod in the early 60s style.

With the custom, the soft color would go with the feminine curves of the car for a knockout combination. On the other hand, there would be a killer juxtaposition of the chrome and soft color, with a radical, rowdy drivetrain.

Dan Hay and chopper99 like this.
  23. GM only used that color in 65.