Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a Brookville roadster pickup? Update: NO. Now building 1929 roadbriolet/cabrioster pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7320.JPG
    Sometimes, things just don't go as planned!!:eek:
    Sunday I was telling y'all that I was going to make a bracket to secure the header of the folding top to the windshield frame and planned to use the two existing holes already drilled and tapped into each windshield stand.;)
    I determined the correct thread size to be 10-24 and went to the hardware store; hopefully, to find some unobtrusive screw with a black knob that I could use to secure the future bracket I was going to make. I found some knobs but they were a bit long so I also bought some shorter button head screws that I could use as a temporary solution until I found something better if the screws with black knobs didn't work out.;)
    So far, so good.:)
    Then I decided that using the knob screws probably wasn't gonna work because of the space restrictions and close quarters so I decided to start by just using the button head screws. I decided to run each screw into the existing hole to make sure the thread was okay to use without running a tap through them.
    I'm screwing the first screw in with an Allen wrench and it gets about half-way and stops.:eek: No problem. I figure I'll just use my ratchet wrench with the appropriate sized Allen sized socket from my neat little Allen head kit that works with a 3/8" drive wrench.;) Things went fine for about another quarter turn and them the head popped right off!!:eek: This left the rest of the screw broken off nearly flush with the powdercoated windshield frame!!:eek::eek:
    Dang!!:mad: What to do?!!:confused:
    First, I had to loosen the windshield frame from the windshield stand that I had just previously tweaked to fit the header for the folding top correctly.:rolleyes: Then I removed the windshield stand. Then I saw where Murphy had struck in the construction of the windshield stand!:eek::D I don't think it was JACK Murphy but I thought of him!!:D:D Apparently, when building the windshield frame; they would spot weld along the inside of the frame just a few places to secure the spacing bar that separates the front of the frame from the back and allows the glass to be installed between them. Old Murphy decided to tack the spacer EXACTLY where the PO had decided to drill a hole to mount the old bracket!! His small hole slightly off center of the weld seemed to work... until somebody decided to ream it out!:eek::D:D
    I used my 4.5" grinding wheel and carefully removed the offending tack, along with the portion of the broken screw that was inside the weld; doing my best to NOT screw up the powdercoated windshield frame.;) Slow, careful work.;)
    IMG_7321.JPG In the above picture, you can see the top screw already installed in the top right of the picture. The bottom right of the picture, at an upward angle of about 45 degrees from the hole at the bottom; is the trouble spot. You can't really tell but that is where I carefully removed the offending weld and removed a bit more material to ensure that the new screw would go all the way in before stopping.;)
    Up until now, it was just slow, careful work but the real "opportunity:D" was going to somehow get the remnant of the broken stainless steel screw out of the back side of the windshield frame.:eek:
    I found two new sets of carbide coated drill bits and used very small bits to try to drill through the screw.
    IMG_7320.JPG The mangled remains of the screw is on the left and you can see where I very carefully and very slowly kept trying to drill a hole through the screw without damaging the windshield frame.;) Patience, Grasshopper.:D:D
    I would drill some, then quit. Then go back later and drill a bit more. Keep in mind that I had to hold the windshield frame with my left hand AND steady the drill with the same hand while I was running the drill motor at varying speeds to try to penetrate the dang screw.:eek: After any number of rounds in trying with the drill, it dawned on me to try one of my jim dandy easy-outs from a new set I'd bought God knows when and never used!:)
    I pushed the easy-out against the screw head and used an adjustable wrench to gently try to get it to bite on the screw and back it out.;) After several tries, I still hadn't really moved the screw but had managed to get enough of a bite to cut a slight slot in the screw. Back to the tool box for a small chisel and hammer.;)
    With a few prayers and some more slow careful work; I positioned the chisel and tapped it with the hammer. I kept repeating the process; hitting a bit harder after the first few times.;)
    Lo and behold!: the screw looked like it moved just a fraction!! I kept positioning the chisel and tapping with the hammer and the dang thing actually screwed right out after a good bit of "coaxing;)". :):):)
    I then used the tap to clean up the threads in that hole and also ran the tap through the other three holes for good measure; making sure the screws would go all the way in.;) One of the holes on the driver's side stand seemed to have also hit a weld!! I was still able to use that hole but had to slowly and carefully use the tap at a slight angle to make it work.;) Murphy got me on both sides!!:eek::D
    Eventually I got it all back together and still secured the windshield stands such that the header for the folding top still fit.;)
    IMG_7322.JPG The above picture shows that I was trying and using anything I could think of the get that broken screw out. The cardboard at bottom center is my preliminary pattern for securing the top header to the windshield.
    Other than the above, things have been going great!!:D:D
    I hope to get my pal, BobbyBuilt, over to seal the windshield frame to the body with some black silicone to hide the gaps along the edge of the windshield frame and windshield stands as well as make it a bit prettier and water tight.;):) He is great with the details; particularly where glass is involved as he retired from a pretty long career in the glass business some years back.;):)
    Now to find the next "opportunity.":)
    Jack, you and the rest of the "Murphys", stay in NY!!:D:D

brEad, Blues4U, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  2. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO
    Al, you need to know that there is "Murphy's Law"...and then there's "Jack Murphy's Law" where it's ALWAYS Jack's fault.:eek:

I'm not exactly sure which one this falls under, but rest assured, I'm used to people cursing my name (usually well deserved) when things turn to shit.;):D:p

OR...could it just be karma catching up with you for your history of "green abuse"?:eek:;)

Hope things start going a little smoother for you...but it's hot rodding...full of them opportunities;):D.

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

For those that have forgotten. The following reflects the "green abuse" Jack is talking about.
    He prefers the former as shown below.:eek:
    IMG_5089.JPG
    This is the later... which I preferred.;):)
    IMG_5290.JPG
    I did leave the green on the hub caps.;) I'm not opposed to compromise.;):D:D

I'm not Paul Harvey but now y'all at least know more of the story!:D

brEad, Blues4U, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  4. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Al, I bought those from moss and while they are OK I think they are hoky so I bought these S/S knob and drill them 1/4 20 and think they are much more substantial. Let me know if you are interested. 100_1599.JPG

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Bert, those knobs do look better and I appreciate your offer to help but I'm far from needing door knobs and suspect I'll do like you and just make up something or other.;)
    Thanks again and I will holler if I decide to move up to what you're proposing.;):)

I hope you are doing well and making progress on your cabrio roadster pickup.:)

Please feel free to post your updates here as well. It's great to have another build to follow of a very similar vehicle.

6. Blake 27

Blake 27

Here's how I attached my header to the bows and to the windshield posts. 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Okie Pete, e1956v, The 39 guy and 5 others like this.
  7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7324.JPG
    These are the two brackets I made to secure the top header to the windshield frame.
    IMG_7325.JPG
    Here's the driver's side installed. I think they will do the job. It's going to stay up until my pal gets over here to seal the windshield to the body and hide some gaps along the edges of the windshield frame and stands.;):)
    Now to fabricate something to bolt to the top back edge of the cab that will serve as the mounting point for the snaps for the bottom of the top at the back. I'll think of something.:eek::D
    Opportunities!:D
    The weather is supposed to warm up for a short while soon... I hope to use that time to take it for a spin!:)
    And yes; I plan to touch up each of those button head screws with some black paint to "hide" them.;)
    I think it has become traditional to "hide" our less traditional parts and pieces.;):D
    I know it has always been traditional to use what you have.:)
    Thanks for the continued interest in the pickup.
    I'm hoping to stimulate some others to do something with their roadster pickup parts just laying around and stashed in corners.;) Several fellows are just sitting on similar Last Refuge bodies that they just haven't gotten around to building.:eek:
    I invite anybody with Last Refuge, or any other kind, including "Henry!":D, of roadster pickup bodies to post pictures of their current state... might get them motivated or possibly find some buyers looking to take over custody and complete the building chores.:) The world needs more roadster pickups; especially the cabrio roadster pickups!:D:D

8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7326.JPG
    It's a truck; right?! Ringer was out of dog food... they didn't have any last night but we still had enough for last night and this morning.;) Ringer was happy to see me come home with it.
    IMG_7327.JPG
    I looked at the pickup and thought... hmm, a 1929 version of a sun roof!:D
    IMG_7328.JPG
    Dang Dolphin temperature gauge kept saying 250 degrees:eek: but my heat gun couldn't find anywhere that was over 210; most places were well below that.;)
    Anyway, I stopped by OReilly's and bought a new electric temperature gauge to use to compare to what Dolphin says and also bought a new 180 degree(stock) thermostat with gasket.;)
    I'm going to get to the bottom of this temperature gauge issue one way or another!;):D
    Boy is it fun to drive! Nearly lost my hat:eek: when hit second out on the highway!:D:D Quick reflexes, and slowing down;), saved the day.:rolleyes:
    Weather was great.:)
    BobbyBuilt is coming tomorrow to seal the windshield. After it sets for a couple days, I'll take the top frame back off.;)

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  9. Looking good!
    Soon we'll see a photo in front of the ice cream shop.

10. ............How about a picture of Ringer.:)

11. Ice Cream season will be upon us soon Al, will have to meet you there...

Hamtown Al, loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  12. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Don’t forget Ringer’s ice cream cone!

hotrodjack33, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

00000000 Ringer 20200222.JPG
    Ringer the day I got him.
    IMG_5476.JPG
    The day after I got him. Didn't take long for him to adapt!
    Note the size of those feet!:eek:
    Ringer New Years Day 2022.jpg
    Here he is on New Year's Day. Feet seem a little smaller now.;):D
    But they ain't!!:D

14. ^^^Beautiful dog, Al. What a great friend to hang out with.^^^^:)

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

00000000 Ringer 20200222 by TLC.jpg
    Thanks for the kind words about Ringer. Another first day picture. Yep, I'm his guy!
    IMG_5540.jpg
    In the early days, this was his favorite pose.:D
    Y'all know how you usually say, "Good boy" to your dog when he mostly does what you want. Very early on, Ringer found out that if I said "Good boy" and he would immediately sit; I'd give him a treat! So, I'm walking the dog and happened to say "Good boy" and he stopped and sat down!!:D:D Ringer resumed walking... after a treat!
    It took awhile but he finally got me trained!:D:D
    My wife had to stop saying "Good boy," too!! :eek::D

After we would come in from a walk; I'd shut the door and turn around to see him already sitting... and waiting!!:D

16. ..........That's hilarious! I love it.:)

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7333.JPG
    BobbyBuilt in action. There is nothing like an experienced hand and his are among the best in my opinion.:)
    IMG_7334.JPG
    No more daylight showing between the windshield frame and the windshield stands.;)
    IMG_7335.JPG
    There is still some final steps to completely finish the job but that will have to wait until it sets up.;)
    Now to find some black touch up paint to "hide" all those button head screws.;):D
    One step at a time...
    I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of his shop "truck" while he was here but here's a picture I stole from old club meetings photos. Sweet ride... 1933 two door with 1957 283 with a 200R transmission... sounds so quiet it seems almost stock.;):) Bobby managed to reuse all of the stock gauges which is no small feat if you've ever tried it yourself.:eek::D
    IMG_6480.JPG
    That's Bob with his best side to us along with "Shadow", our club treasurer.

dwollam, loudbang, 41 coupe and 3 others like this.
  18. I've never met Bobby, but I've heard great stuff about him...even way up here in Maryland.:)

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Yep, Bobby has built many cars and often pretty quickly!
    IMG_7336.JPG
    Yesterday after the windshield seal job set all afternoon. Should be good to go, right? Especially to the ice cream shop!:D
    IMG_7337.JPG
    Another angle... don't see any gaps around the windshield frame do ya?!:D:D
    IMG_7338.JPG
    The bad news is they finally ran out of Deep Dish Apple ice cream.:( The little girl serving me said she thought about me when they finished the tub up.:)
    The good news is they had Coconut Chocolate Almond, which tastes like an ice cream Almond Joy;):), and it was still very good.:)
    Now for a warm day to take it to the upholstery shop... probably be awhile. Be safe and enjoy ice cream until the next update.:D

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's funny Al, a lot of people don't like coconut. My wife and sister won't touch it:(. I love coconut...I could eat it until it comes out my...well, you know;):D

21. ....I have a friend that won't eat peanut butter! I told him that's un-American.:eek:

22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and as his addiction progressed:eek:, Al's friends and family determined an intervention might be in order;):rolleyes:
    giphy.gif

Motorwrxs, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  23. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Any updates? Is it at the upholsters? Enquiring minds want to know.:rolleyes:

24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I haven't gotten over to the upholsterer yet but I did buy a second house... that has a two car garage;):D; about a mile from my home. Now I'll have a proper garage for each of my toys without having to pack them in.:eek::D:D
    It is a small house but on a big lot. It will be a good spot to have our club meetings once in awhile.;)
    The seller has been there 51 years!!:eek: I've been helping him clean out the garage and pack up the house.:)
    We closed last Friday but I gave him another month to get the rest of the stuff out of the house... the garage is done.;) Now we just have to tune up the garage with a new roof and siding and one big door vs two smaller ones.;)
    Other than that; it is almost finished!:D:D
    BTW, it looks like the house is gonna need a tune up, too!:eek::D
    Opportunities!:D
    Thanks for asking,
    Workin' Al

25. Wow a consummate Hot Rodder and Real Estate Magnate.:D;)

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al, sounds like you just got into your first "Woody" project (wood frame house & garage);):D.

Hamtown Al, RICH B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Priceless, Jack!!
    I hadn't thought of it as a "woody" project.:D:D

lothiandon1940 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  28. I know I am a bit late to the party but as always, I just love your projects - lookin really good and the new family addition is a real gem!

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

If the garage needs a new roof and siding... now's the time to make it bigger!:D
    Good luck with your projects!

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7524.JPG
    Here's the new house after I drove the rpu to breakfast Saturday.
    IMG_7477.JPG
    Here's the garage which is in considerable need of attention!
    IMG_7495.JPG
    I'm not sure the garage will buff out!:eek::D The frame seems solid but some of the special wood siding needs to be replaced... vinyl is the plan; along with new windows and one big 16X7 door. Opportunities!!:D
    We're having our first club meeting there this Thursday. We've gotten rid of the considerable overgrowth that covered the back and sides of the garage as well as similar overgrowth around the house and the edges of the yard.:)
    It might be a day or two before the garage is varmit proof!!:eek::D

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Okie Pete, brEad, The 39 guy and 3 others like this.