Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering Column 1949 Ford Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crutchie, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Crutchie

Crutchie

Hello all, I have done something really silly. While remounting the Steering wheel on my 49 Ford Merc I dropped the Woodruff key down the inside of the shaft the Steering wheel mounts to. Yep, really dumb. Can anyone tell me if the steering shaft is hollow all the way into the steering box and if the key would have slid down into the steering box? Or is it solid down the bottom and the key will just sit in there without drama?
    If I can avoid having to dismantle the steering box in search of the key it would be a blessing.
    Thanks to all in advance.

2. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

Most steering boxes are sealed BUT I wouldn't want an extra piece floating around in side my tube that could get jammed up. Time to take it apart before you wished you had.

3. jaracer

jaracer

Doesn't your horn wire go through the hollow shaft? It won't fit with a woodruff key in there. The shaft is one piece and goes all the way through the steering gear. If the key didn't fall out the bottom, you might take some stiff wire and push it from the steering gear back up to the top of the column. That should get it out.

4. Crutchie

Crutchie

Hi All, thanks for yr prompt responses. The shaft I am referring to is the one that the Steering wheel actually mounts on, not the outer casing tube where the wires run down. Hope this clarifies a bit.

5. If it has a wire that runs up from the bottom, then it’s hollow straight through. mid have to look at mine. Just built a Willy’s box and it’s hollow for a horn wire.

6. junkman8888

junkman8888

This situation is exactly why all the cool guys modify their rides with late-model tilt steering columns and front frame clips; since those late-model steering columns don't even have Woodruff keys it completely eliminates the issue your having.

Seriously, over the years I've collected a multitude of mechanic's magnets on sticks, I'd try that option before resorting to taking things apart.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

49's still had a key? I didn't know that.

8. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got my 50 shaft apart and they are hollow. 50 doesn't have a key but I don't know if 49 still had one. A small magnet on a thin rod long enough to go down the hole in the shaft might retrieve it.

9. `why do you call the Car a Ford Merc.
    Its either a Ford or Mercury.??
    which is it..??
    and like a lot of guy's say make a long stick with a Magnet on the
    end and snake it out.

Just my 3.5 cents

live learn & die a fool

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct