Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical running problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redoxide, Mar 6, 2022.

1. hoop

hoop

That is the inner cable attachment.If the outer is not attached and the cable is short and the motor mount is broken ,that would cause your problem.A picture of the carb and cable would really help.

2. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Run a new ground wire and tie distributor , engine and amethyst module all together back to the car’s battery.

3. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

bring a ratchet strap with you the next time you visit the car. Bulldog the engine down on the drivers side with the strap. Take it for a drive.

kevinrevin likes this.
  4. greybeard360

greybeard360

Theory...... the computer controlled timing may not be dropping the advance off when the throttle is close, this could explain the surge and slow return to idle response. If it take a PC to program it you should be able to connect a laptop to it and monitor the timing as you drive and see what the timing does when you accelerate then let off the gas. The timing should drop off at the same time.

5. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

On your next visit, bring an HEI to drop in for testing. After checking the motor mounts, drop in the distributor to eliminate the "magic box" as the culprit.

RMR&C likes this.
  6. Well something is happening for sure.
    It happens at a stoplight trying to leave the intersection the car and drive and torque Through the driveline.
    Normally you’re not looking at this while you’re driving

7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ian, a quick recap.
    1. Was driving fine originally
    2. Dumped trans fluid, was off road for a while and was rewired during this period
    3. Now idles fine, but when in drive it want to take off like a dragster.

Could the rewire have a bearing? Could the transmission be a factor? I'm struggling on both counts.

I'm wondering if there's something going on when the trans is engaged. The only connection I can think of between the carb and the trans is the kickdown. Have you looked at the carb linkeage when the trans is shifted?

And blowing out the HT lead?? In the absence of it becoming tight with a rocking engine what (tf!) could cause that??

Funky question. Be interested in the outcome as its an oddity!!

Chris

8. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Got some clear pictures of the under-hood area?
    Throttle linkage and ignition system.
    I'm //guessing// the coil is firewall mounted.

9. redoxide

redoxide

This ones got folk intrigued :) I only asked the question because it was driving me nuts .

I don't have any pics of the under bonnet and I don't have access to the truck just now but will make a visit in the next few days .

The rewire is all very tidy with everything meticulously earthed .As far as the ignition side is concerned its all very basic . The Amethyst unit has a feed and an earth with the other wires hooking up with the coil and distributer connections. The Distributer vacuum is disconnected at the distributer and connected to the Amethyst unit . No idea what magic is performed within the unit to make it all work

You can indeed connect a laptop to the Amethyst and its a good call to connect it up and check the advance when this happens .. Ive asked my buddy to disconnect the unit and simply run the car on the petronix ignition to see if that eliminates the problem .. I think hes lost faith though and just parked the truck in the hope the pixies call by and sprinkle some magic dust over it ..

10. Closely check the operation of the secondary throttle plates. Is the carb mounted to the intake with any sort of adapter plate? Is it mounted with a thin gasket or with a thicker insulator style gasket?