Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What kind of carpet and...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Al, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Hi. My 37 Ford Tudor is being finished, and will be painted soon. When I get it back I will be putting the door panels back on, and putting a heat barrier on the floor before the carpet. Question is.. What kind of carpet should I get, and how do you stick it to the floor?? I saw a loop carpet, but if I catch a loop, and it pulls.. Then I saw the kind without loops. More like what I have in my Honda Ridgeline. This material is un-backed. Says it is more flexable. Easier to go over the tunnel. Also. What should I use to adhere it to the floor?? A spray adheasive?? Thanks..

2. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Look up Daytona Weave Carpet, best looking carpet out there.

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

First off,I don't like too glue down car carpet,I do like taking it out for cleaning now n then/even if only too shake dirt out ect..
    Types of carpet are of many style,but a few are sold as auto carpet. The cost is all over the place high to low.> So that's in part about what your happy with.
    I used all types, for my self an helping buddys out ! Often is more about the size of piggy bank, then best thing out there!
    Hold down for auto carpet can be a number of ways,or a combo of those!
    Most car have,or you can make door jam bottom plates that screw down{ most are alum. some stainless strips }that can hold the sides of carpet down. Snaps can be used under seat edges and were carpet runs along firewall. Velco can also be used,being out of site under rug.

Depeding how delux you want to be;
    I've used free carpet house carpet found in trash piles.
    Carpet from Homedepot,there outdoor type an others.
    Carpet got from local auto or boat upholstery shops an even can be ordered off WWW.
    I did a HAMB tech some time back,that cover some about auto rugs,may be some tips that could help you; About post #54
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-sew-at-home-upholsrety-hot-rod.604077/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

dana barlow likes this.

5. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Been doing some looking at Auto Trim Stores. A suggestion is for a cut pile carpet. To mold the carpet over the hump. Use steam, and spray on water on top to make it more flexable. I will also have floor mats in it, so that will be where most of any dirt will be. I vacuum my other carpets a lot, and use a Scotchgaurd on the carpet for staining. Been also watching on youtube as to how to install both the pad, and the carpet.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. topher5150

topher5150

bright green shag carpet

Jeff34 likes this.
  7. Automotive carpet generally comes in two styles- cut pile and loop pile, and each can be jute backed or not. Carpets can also be vacuum formed to fit a particular vehicle, or just rolled loose carpet.
    A great many OEM carpets are 80/20 nylon loop, which is a good compromise of softness, form-ability, and stain resistance. Most vacuum formed carpets come with foot pads and grommets for dimmer switch and gas pedal sewn in.

dana barlow likes this.
  8. What I used was regular automotive loop carpet and purchased it from
    IDC Trim & Upholstery Supply
    I purchased it by the yard and I personally don't care for the new type of carpet that comes in all the new cars.

The German weaves are nice but expensive.

I used automotive spray glue to make the carpet follow the couture's, especially the rear wheel wells but you can also use spray adhesive that is available in rattle cans. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pal Dave also made the on piece carpet floor for the front floor board. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Not really recommending this, but this is what I did since I'm retired and cheap. I bought really cheap car carpet on Amazon along with 2" Velcro tape. This stuff has no fancy woven backing material. I stuck the hooky side Velcro to the floor and this carpet sticks to it - don't need the other fuzzy side. This carpet is really thin. You can shine a light through it. How well it will hold up, I don't know at this point. I'm just relying on the fact that I won't drive the car too much and that it will do for now.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. I also used the same type of carpet for my old '32 sedan. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mcsfabrication and dana barlow like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    We have used tons of carpet in the homes we have lived in over the 50 plus years together. The home brands of carpets are not hot rod carpets per se, but should work just as well. The low pile carpets are good and minimalist. There are relatively no loops to catch or pull out. The feel of it is industrial and like an office, not something you might sit and rub your feet as someone drives. Well, bare footed, you might want to feel the carpet, too.

People pay extra for car... carpets that are thicker, but not always better. They are better than the thin industrial coating or thin mats given out at purchase. Comparing those "deluxe" carpets as extras were/are part of buying a new car. If one were to build something, like you, if there is a way to get a home style. low pile, not pulling out style of carpet, look for two brands, Stainmaster and the latest Smartstrand.

The majority of our final house is tile, but the carpet while it will be on its final journey until the pandemic is over, will suffice for now. The whole house downstairs will have large tiles and no grout. We are still undecided if we want tiles, wood or carpet upstairs. But, if we decide to get carpet, it will definitely be a Smartstrand version, not Stainmaster.

We have had Stainmaster carpets all over our old houses and in the current one. But, we purchased a different version called Smartstrand in a brand name and it is so much better in construction and feel. If any stain gets on them, a simple cloth wipes most away. The old Stainmaster version required scrubbing to get the stains out. The Smartstrand just needed a slightly moistened clean rag to get out the stain or object. For stubborn stains from shoe soles or food, then a product called Folex is brought out to get the stain out.

Stainmaster is/was the standard in those model homes to make everything look nice for a long time as those are models to be sold when the tract is sold out. The carpet should last as a bunch of people will be walking in and on the carpet daily. In recent times, technology has improved the power of stain resistant fibers and composition of carpets. We noticed the difference in out two versions. the old Stainmaster was very good, but the brand had individual loops that pulled out. The model homes will have a sign that says Smartstrand version of carpeting for an added extra accessory choice.

The Stainmaster carpet was similar in build, but the fibers did not pull out and the resistance to stains and daily wear was evident. We usually take our shoes off when in the house. But, the pattern of the carpeted rooms can be seen as there is always a daily pattern in and out of those rooms.

Jnaki

Cars aren't going to show pattern wear unless the heavy driving boots/shoes are always in the same spot on the carpet. The weight/sole pattern will eventually push down and create a pattern. As one vacuums out the car carpet, it will help raise the areas that are constantly showing some depression. But, if possible a Smartstrand carpet should withstand soiling of work shoes and daily in/out of the occupants. Smartstrand is much better than Stainmaster, IOHO.

The_CarMan and dana barlow like this.
  12. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

It looks real nice, but are afraid of catching the loops?? Or are there any loops in this carpet??

13. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Can that Stainmaster carpet be molded over the hump?? I built my floors, and there is a hump over the transmission. I don't want a bunch of wrinkles that I can't get out..

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This is after all HAMB,so a little joke .>
    Cut you toenails more often too stop loop snags!! :oops::eek::p:cool:

15. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

German square weave seems to be the go to for show cars. I used it and love it

Charlie K and Chavezk21 like this.
  16. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

The carpet I am looking at right now is also poster on that site you sent. A Super Flex Ozite. I am checking to see if I can get a sample.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I always have to wear shoes. Diabetic. Have to be real careful with my feet.

dana barlow likes this.
  18. 5window

5window

It's going to get dirty, wet, muddy, subjected to heat and cold and sunlight. Buy the right carpet for the job. Put it down in a way you can get it out.

dana barlow likes this.
  19. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I am going to install it as one piece. There will be floor mats. Nobody will be sitting in the back seat. Will only be driving it a few times a week.