Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glass '32 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splitbudaba, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

8A103E2B-7C0F-441A-AE2B-5C2A534C9449.jpeg Well time to see if she fires up today. Time it, install plugs, leak check everything, and go for it! Got an early Christmas present for the coupe, an old Actron Dwell/Tach, much needed for points and rpm on break in! Ebay of course. Coolant is in, no leaks so far mini starter wires in a little different. And fuel system needs leak check! Then it’s time!!!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    mad mikey, swade41, RodStRace and 5 others like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have similar tools in the box. Mine is almost exactly like that but has volts as well. Had it since I was 21

mad mikey, Splitbudaba and loudbang like this.
  3. twenty8

twenty8

WELL...????? What's goin' on?
    And I hope you know how to take video and upload it...................:D

Splitbudaba and loudbang like this.
  4. Hey Split if you’re looking for great electric wiper set check out a company called Rain Gear. I have a set of them on my F-100 .

5. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Ran into starter issues, out of the box failure. Pulled it out, armature has an open! Called supplier today, replacement will be on the way. I will keep updating until she goes or blows.

6. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Will do, trying to decide if I want one or two wipers!

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  7. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Well bad luck has struck! Waiting to fix the starter, the coolant leaked into the oil pan. About a quart. I was getting ready to fire it up. Turn her over on the starter to set the dwell on the points. Looked in at the oil pressure and it was low. Pulled the distributor and put in the pump primer tool. Spun it over and foam came out. Drained the pan! Blah! There was nothing in the cylinders so I assume it’s the intake gaskets! Drained the coolant, took off the filter and pumped the sump out. Put in new oil as pumped it out again. I plan on installing a new filter and prime the crap out of it replacing the oil and filter several times. Removed valve covers, no contaminated oil in the rocker area or the lifter galley! Might only be in the mains. I plan to pump new oil while spinning her over on the starter and change filters about 3 times or till it drains out clear. New intake gaskets with extra sealant are in order. Keeping my fingers crossed!

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

:(

mad mikey and Splitbudaba like this.
  9. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Removed the intake, found the gasket slid at #8 in the corner. Drip drip drip! Ran three gallons of oil thru the pump, at first with the filter removed. Then install the filter and more oil, flushed gauge line, and pressurize oil system while spinning the starter. Did that 3 times, changing filter each time. The foamy oil never made to the cam or rocker arms. Last time I drained the oil it came out clean. Time to reinstall the intake using a lot more Ultra Black sealant and get her running! I would imagine running for awhile will evaporate any remaining moisture. I feel this could have gone a lot worse!!

11. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

OK, back where I was before the mess. Pre oiled several times, using a pump drive and drill, plus turning her over on the starter with the plugs out. Tomorrow I plan to install the distributor, time it to about 8 to 10 degrees, then in go the plugs and leak check the fuel system including the float height. Then comes the moment of truth!! Wish me luck, I might need it!!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love burn in day. Get her nice and hot and then get yourself something nice and cold to celebrate.

13. I really dig this build. I also like that you put "Glass" in the title so hopefully the "real Henry steel" jabronies will stay away.

mad mikey, loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  14. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks! That wasn’t my intention with the “Glass” in the title, but now that you mention it!!!

mad mikey, loudbang and Dan Hay like this.
  15. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Well fired her up yesterday. All went well, good oil pressure, ran for 30 minutes! Carb needed to be leaned and found an ignition lead loose. Cleared out after a while! Anyway having my wife in the garage worked out great, it was loud but unbearable to her, she ordered me header pipes and 70 series Flowmasters if I promised I wouldn’t start it again till the mufflers were in!!!! I have a video but it doesn’t want to load without out a lot of sh”t!!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That ploy always works, well at least sometimes!

mad mikey and Splitbudaba like this.
  17. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I took a chance and it paid off! Of course I married a lady who told me the first time we met that she changed her own oil! Doesn’t get any better than that!!! Best thing I ever did!!

18. loudbang

loudbang

IF you put the video on youtube all you have to do it copy the address of the video at the top of the page like WWW.xyz etc then simply paste that youtube address into a new post and finish the post. Presto chango the video will be posted here. :)

19. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

DBB53FAD-1899-47CD-B84C-7474CF77654C.jpeg CE6A94CD-51D7-439A-97C0-B034D7406DB5.jpeg 45C6B300-F712-439A-83F3-D87E66B96750.jpeg Close to firing her up again! Installed joggle pipes and 70 series Flowmasters. I have 3” tailpipes with turn down, but they go on later! Made some custom hangers for the mufflers. Welded the joggle pipes to the collector and mufflers. Ready to fire her up soon! I really want a nice sunny day to lite her up!!!

shortypu, wicarnut, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  20. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

OK, learned another lesson, 62’ sbc valve covers have a right way and a wrong way to be installed. The drivers side was on correctly, but not the passenger side. Rockers rubbed on them a little bit. Only the exhausts! Lucky all the metal was in the rocker arms! Also found out the rockers have a small tab on the top side of the stamping. So, took all the rockers off, polished the tab off and rolled the top edges. Used a magnet and cleaned the top of the head. Found minimal metal and then set all the valves again! Spun the motor over with the valve covers installed. Pulled both covers, no marks or rubbing. Put it all back together! Set points and timing! Plan on firing her up tomorrow!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  21. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Great day, fired up immediately, adjusted idle , ran great and not to loud. In fact it sounds great!!! Four corner idle mixture works great, accelerates instantly, no issues! Ran for 30 minutes, 50 psi oil pressure and 190 temperature! If I were younger I would have had an orgasm!!

22. Good deal…video?

loudbang and Splitbudaba like this.
  23. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Next time my son visits I will get him to get the video on YouTube and a link-whatever that is!! Remember I am running single point distributor for a reason!!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  24. Looking forward to it…

25. Congratulations. Its a special time when you bring one to life. Ahh yes, the sound, smells and sites are terrific.:D

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I was going to say "TMI" but I'm sure a lot of us can relate to that, great to hear you have got past just sitting on a milk crate making "vroom vroom" sounds in your coupe.
    Cherish those 62 rocker covers, I may have had a pair among the handful of 327 covers in my possession over the years, can't say for sure, I do recall having some with those rub marks on them from previous owners installing them backwards, easy to do.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  27. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks. I agree about those valve covers. Worst part was taking that sticky logo off to turn it around. Got a little bent up. Put it in wax paper, used my wife’s marble rolling pin! Flipped it over rolling both sides till flat. Removed wax paper and stuck it on!! Good to go!! After all the crap it took to get it operating, I think I need a nap, old you know!!

pprather, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  28. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Oh yeah, love that Thumpr cam at idle!!!!!!!

mad mikey likes this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

30. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.