Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Looking for pictures on converting column stick shift to AOD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat47, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am building a 1950 Ford and want to keep my column shift. I have an AOD tranny. I did check out "The-rodsters" build thread back in 2016 but the pictures are no longer attached.
    I know I have to remove on of the stick shift arms at the bottom of the column but I think I will have to make a piece with indents to hold the shift linkage in each of the various gears. I don't want to chance the tranny jumping out of reverse say back into park. If anybody has pictures of this type of column shift arm conversion I really appreciate seeing them.

2. squirrel

squirrel

sure would be nice to find a shifter off a car that came with an automatic transmission, eh?

fordo column.jpg

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Have you looked on YouTube?
    It seams there is a video on most every subject there.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would find an era-appropriate automatic column and rework that.

Toward the end of the 1950's there were plenty of automatic Ford columns with detents and other safety features built in, that will get you a whole lot closer than coming up from scratch.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Gimpy, just don't get that late model one that jumps into reverse.:p:D or was that the tranny's fault. Can't remember. lol

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would weld a little extra on that detent, AND on the safety gate, just to make sure!

Yikes!

7. squirrel

squirrel

Ford put Park and Reverse only one space...GM was clever and put them two apart...

When everything is tight and working well, Fords stay in park. When things get sloppy, there isn't much room for error.

gimpyshotrods and olscrounger like this.
  8. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For clarification, I am using the original 50 ford steering box with a Fat Mans kingpin and disc brake conversion. I could go to a Lokar floor shift, but I am trying to avoid that. I know Lime Works makes a neutral safety set up for these columns and I would add that, but I really want to keep the column shift. As soon as the weather warms up enough to tour a wrecking yard here in Indiana with all old stuff I will visit and see if they have a Fordomatic but as Squirrel notes the Park and Reverse situation is problematic. I remember seeing this type of conversion here on HAMB but have been unable to find it.

9. squirrel

squirrel

If you set it up well, then the P/R thing shouldn't be a problem.

I think they used a separate shaft, instead of an inner tube, on Fords through about 1959. So there are a lot of possible donors from the 50s.

On the 57 Suburban I had, I combined parts from a truck hydramatic shifter, and a car Powerglide shifter, to run the TH400 with column shift. It takes some effort, but the result is so much better than the street rod or racing floor shifters.

10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every GM automatic I ever had Park was next to Reverse except for the 55 Hydramatic.
    Ford had a good detent on the column but the shifter arm on the column was smoothed over as folks didn’t pull the lever to them first to put it in Park and do it I reverse order when taking it out of park.
    Using a 51-57 column will also some work as these only had 5 positions. The 58 up had 6.

12. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lime works speed shop makes a kit to convert your column or add to any 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 tube. has neutral safety and detent SSKIT-2.jpg SSINDICATOR-2.jpg

13. @X38 s example I posted above is much cleaner looking

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, that is very slick.

15. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I used a 51 column because the column had turn signals. DSCN3145.JPG

16. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

17. squirrel

squirrel

nope,. they put a gap in there between P and R, that Ford did not. Chevy top, ford bottom.

chevy.JPG ford.JPG

18. I put a 2004R OD behind the 235 on my '53 Chevy. Installed a late model GM tilt column then adapted the '53 wheel and shift lever to the new column. Splines matched, just had to do a little surgery on the wheel. Adapted it to a Toyota land cruiser power steering gear that looks a lot likethe '53.
    IMG_0856.JPG IMG_0859.JPG IMG_0861.JPG IMG_0862.JPG P4020049.JPG P8010079.JPG P8020080.JPG P8020090.JPG PC010221.JPG PC010226.JPG PC010227.JPG Steering Toyota gear.jpg

Cheeta likes this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks really good!

chevyfordman likes this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The AOD has a built in neutral safety switch as well as a backup light switch. It is on the drivers side of the transmission. Get the proper plug from a yard and you can use that and not have to adapt a switch. Mine works just like it did in the donor vehicle.

21. fordor41

fordor41

on my '41 w/C-4, I used the stock '41 column and used the R-1st shifting lever (spring loaded in 2-3 position). made linage to the C-4. had to pull column shift lever up to engage the trans shift lever. made a park lock with 2 thick washers with pin in one and hole in other. welded them to the shift tube. found a DRNDL in junk yard for a C-4

22. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All good advice. Becoming clearer on how to accomplish this. Thanks