Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Exactly Steve… and the parts I have and from Lane are perfect…VERY good shape.

2. I had heard of this conversion years ago but never seen one. I had no idea that a hurst had become that crazy. I will keep an eye open just in case I stumble on something. :) My generation bought used 4 speeds with the shifter more often than not. $100 to $200 was a normal price.

3. Don’t go calling me a fellow Ford pal!! Haha!
    I’m a die hard Dodge guy who rescued a derelict Meteor destined to be crushed, I'm ecstatic that someone can use the parts, I sent a bunch to a H.A.M.B. member in Texas and almost everything else usable will be headed to Jeff.

I am beyond excited to be getting an early Hemi to build for my ‘57 Fargo.

I cannot thank @Jeff Norwell enough for making a dream come true.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    Baumi, Joe Travers, Sky Six and 5 others like this.
  4. Hurst pretty much abandoned the early Ford 4-speed market a few years ago. You can still get the shifter, but no install kits. There is still some NOS stuff floating around

5. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I built my 59 to be a 4 speed colum shift last winter. I used the iron case 3+OD T170F out of a 1979 Granada/Mustang. The 4 speed toploader is the same externally other than the 3/4 shift lever is reversed. I had to weld mine and it is in perfect alignment for the origional 3 speed colum shift.

I will totally agree that the colum shift arms and linkage are quite stout surprisingly. No stamped steel, all machined parts very solidly made. I had only worked on 70s colum shifts prior to this 59 and they were complete junk. I know I'm showing my age here....

Jeff, I'm very intrigued by your reverse strategy, I have yet to permanently figure mine out. For the last summer I've been using a universal cable for a hydraulic valve tucked away under the seat. I'd like to have something period or at least something more stout. I was going to use a PTO cable but I never found one I was happy with. What I have now isn't rugged enough for long term use, I have it pulling the lever into reverse, and springs aid in pulling it back into Neutral. I'd rather a stout push/pull cable with a rack and pinion type of lever in the cab.

6. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

This shows the cable going through the tunnel ending up under the bench seat. This is just a temporary measure so I could drive it last summer.
    20220301_220721.jpg

This is the best shot I could get of the trans end of the linkage. It's not as pretty under there. I didn't paint the case as I didn't think anyone would see it! The springs are the temporary 20220301_220643.jpg

Another shot of the Reverse cable 20220301_220606.jpg

The "shifter" for Reverse. It just floats under the seat until i find a better solution. 20220301_220411.jpg

Thor1, Joe Travers, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  7. Some small locking shifters and and throttle control in the boat world . Check out your local marina or boat repair /wrecker .

8. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

Wow, that shift rod assembly looks factory nice, Jeff ! As I recall Jay had that 406 in a 58 ford, so probably using the same column and shifter assembly like in a 57. 4 on the tree is just awesome. My German 1964 Ford Taunus Wagon has a factory setup including Reverse, guess we Euro guys are just more used to 3 pedals. using the Shoebox OD cable for reverse sounds great, as they also have nice knobs. But just to remind you, there was also a 57 OD cable and the knob looks exactly the same as the hood pull, or you could even use another 57 hood release cable, grind off the hood script. It may look neat (and factory) under dash. just saying.

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes Steve..I ran into this this on the other 57...I had to piece a bunch of install kits together... It got rather expensive. Saying that..... don't know if you remember, I was trying to use a factory Ford shifter on my other 57...but it failed and went all Hurst in the end.
    I have to agree with you and @wfo guy ... the rods and shift tabs(factory Ford) are very stout... for this application.
    I plan to have fun...

Thor1, Joe Travers, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@Fabulous50's
    That's awesome!...I knew you were rebuilding your trans... but missed the 4 speed column part.....
    Love what you're doing.My system will be very close to what you're doing.I indicated I was going to use a Morse throttle from a vintage boat... it was neat... but little out of place (for me) I too looked at a PTO lever... but could never find the one I liked.
    The shoebox OD cable I have used is very big.. much like a parking brake cable in size.... at first I thought of a choke cable.... but... it would not have the strength I needed....
    I plan on making some strong cable brackets in 2 points to keep the cable straight and avoid any tight bends that may bind.
    I will post more when I get to these posts shortly.

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

G,.. that's a very good idea.... I have a few hood release knobs... I like that idea... see If I can make that work.... I have never seen a 57 OD handle or set up.... something to investigate.I would imagine a 55-57 Ford T-Bird or any passenger car OD handle is similar.
    And yes.... Let's blame Jay on all this..... Hahahaha.

12. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Jeff a fellow 57 nut from Hayward, WI (now passed) used the OD cable for his "4 on the tree" conversion. I did not see the under car hookup but he mounted the OD cable in the stock location. Looked 100% factory. He said it worked perfect.

13. This is where I snuck my fuse panel in. I made a sub-plate and mounted it on standoffs so it was off the floor. I cut the carpet out around it.

Yes, the floor is that clean, shot it with a quart of Duplicolor white after cleaning it and priming it.
    629-001-FUSE.jpg 521-002-FUSE.jpg

Thor1, Fabulous50's, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@Ford blue blood
    Bill..I have never seen an OD cable in a 57 in Stock position.... and I can't seem to find it in the manual.... but that doesn't mean Jack.... I have a hard time finding my socks in the morning.
    Any pics Bill?

Thor1, Sky Six, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@bobss396 .. thanks for the pics...I have not made any clear decisions as of yet.... brake and Fuel lines are on the horizon.. then the wiring.
    Thanks man!

Thor1, bobss396, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So... this is how I have done the OD cable .... straight shot from inside the car-right side of the dash in line .....passes through the firewall... gentle arc doing a near 180 heading in-line to the trans and reverse lever/gear tab.
    I have yet to make 2 brackets to hold the cable in place.... the most important one is to be 5-8 inches from the reverse tab(shifter tab)The cable must not move side to side or swivel. dead straight.
    I have a plan for the brackets.... based on the bracket style of the heater cables or hood release bracket.
    The 1-2 Shifter tab has been Modified ... a notch cut. and the same added to the opposite side..... looks factory.

ALL of this is just mocked up at this point

More later.....

86.jpg 87.jpg 88.jpg 89.jpg

Thor1, Baumi, pwschuh and 11 others like this.
  17. Jeff, this website has a pic: https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehicles/25049/1957-ford-fairlane-500.
    I didn't have a 57 with od but we had a 58 and a 59. The knob was above the accelerator pedal on both of those. For the young who might be reading this, the od knob was for lock out only. The actual od was done by electric solenoid on the trans controlled by the throttle arm on the engine.

Thor1, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@wfo guy

Well. dang.... I have seem to have it in near stock positioning.... that's a fluke.
    Thank you sir!

90.jpg

Thor1, Joe Travers, alfin32 and 6 others like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...jeeze I hope that's when it's engaged in that pic...

2OLD2FAST, Texas57 and loudbang like this.
  20. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

That 4 speed on the column is so flipping cool!!!
    Mercedes Benz used a 'four on the tree', with a dogleg reverse on the column too, in all of their '50's sedans.

21. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I was not aware that the OD cables were that stout. The ones I've looked at (on the interwebs) looked more like a choke cable which would pull but not push. I had no luck finding an R11 overdrive to mate up with the wide ratio 3 speed I had before. Those who have a Borg Warner R11 overdrive tail housing kicking around....those are almost gold now. The R10 is more affordable, but no one really wants an overdrive on their 6cyl. The gas hungry V8s are worth the time for OD.

@Jeff Norwell I was very close to putting a 5 speed in mine and cutting a hole in the floor....cheap easy to come by and reliable. But there is just something so unassuming about a colum shifter and my generation has no idea what that is. There were very few colum shift manuals left when I was young (80s). But we all had econoboxes with 3 pedals then.

22. Having the reverse on a OD cable will also be a nice anti-theft feature. Park the car in reverse and that will lock out all forward gears....

23. i love it, i thought of a 4 on the tree, but thought it was too "out there" to try. I was mistaken, last 4 on the column i saw had reverse as a pull lever/switch under the dash like that of the handbrake.

24. Imagine this: old guy gets in the car to back away from curb. Car starts going forward. WTH! His 1st thought is "who worked on this?" :)

25. Okay, educate me on this. Being an old shoebox overdrive guy, do you push the cable in for reverse or pull it out?

26. Pull it out of course. If it were an overdrive, you'd want to manually disengage the OD so the car won't coast away when parked if left in gear.

Thor1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Just painting and moving forward… gonna pull out the inner fenders…and clean them up in the next.
    I scored a 57 Meteor Custom wheel… not many of those around.
    I’m kinda sprinkling a bit of Canadian 57 Meteor throughout this … so the wheel is an additional bonus… needs some black paint… and we’re good.
    3083EF5F-DC03-4BB4-9A14-133239344900.jpeg 0EFEEAA3-7B6C-4FDC-84A6-0164302A991E.jpeg FF38C569-46D5-4256-97DF-7129D7EA0241.jpeg

Thor1, Baumi, pwschuh and 17 others like this.
  28. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Fantastic work! Love this buld....close to my heart!

29. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

The weak link I found in all the early '60s column shifters I drove was the lever collar. After countless banging, the roll pin holding the lever starts digging a trench in the collar causing slack in the lever. My wife had to drive my '65 Cyclone once and busted her knuckles open on the dashboard. Next car I bought her had to have a floor stick. :rolleyes:

Joe

30. When I was 15, (early 70's) I worked in a Texaco Station. The on duty mechanic had a early 60's Ford Econoline Van with cragers on it. I though what a waste of wheels on a 6cyl van. (I had a 65 mustang 6 cyl 3 speed with chrome slots, so who was I kidding!) One day he has the side doors open working on a flat tracker motorcycle inside the van. I walk over to look and he says if you ain't busy would you check my oil. I get the dog house off and there sits a 289. I find out in the conversation it has a 4 speed on the column. I asked how bout reverse. He said look under the drivers seat. There was a knob and a cable. I have told this before and everybody just looks at me like.

Atwater Mike, Thor1, MO_JUNK and 6 others like this.