Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I drove for 10 miles with the parking brake on

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 1, 2022.

1. I have noticed that old people are no longer embarrassed to admit their mistakes like the younger guys are. ;)

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's my superpower! I can drive an unlimited number of miles with the parking brake on!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say it makes you a member of the club. Most of us have been there done that.
    After checking the shoes adjust them up right and then adjust the emergency brake so it actually holds and won't let the ride go forward when it is on.

mad mikey likes this.
  4. This is the standard Holden handbrake:
    download.jpg
    You must have a Premier.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was it the gas mileage that was the clue? ;)

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

While I'm sure we all have done this, I will add that for the most part, it wasn't that noticeable with the parking brake on. However, when I did this on vehicles with the parking brake behind the transmission that I could really smell the burning brake shoes.

7. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

A few years ago my wife's niece got married. We went to the wedding, and after the reception
    the just married couple left in a vintage Corvette rented by the groom. We later learned the
    Corvette caught on fire before they reached their destination. The car was totally destroyed.
    The fire was a result of the emergency brake not being released.
    It is not a requirement to have gray hair to make this mistake.
    Ernie

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

No big deal. Replace the shoes and cut the drum's and be done with it. For one thing it give you piece of mind.

mad mikey and jimmy six like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ll go along with seasoned shoes…I’d change them.

mad mikey likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks for the replies. Good to know I'm not alone. What's the name of that club again? :)

Had time to remove one wheel this morning. Cause was obvious, gear oil on the shoes. Hard to see in the pic but they are soaked. Guess the front brakes work so well I didn't notice. I replaced the bearing just last year, they have seals on both sides. Maybe it's coming around the outside and the housing? Anyway time to pull the axles. I'd like to try a 3:08 55-64 Chev pumpkin while I'm at it, if anyone in NorCal has one to swap for 3:55s. 20220302_083106[1].jpg b.JPG

mad mikey and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Lol. Yep, HR Prem. My avatar uses the standard Holden handbrake routinely :oops:

Cheers,
    Harv

12. brading

brading

May be worth looking at something like this with a warning switch on the dash. Brake Switch.jpg

Fabulous50's and tr_rodder like this.
  13. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20220302_112830.jpg
    Needs a nice little glass raspberry like this though

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PhilA and tr_rodder like this.
  15. Gear oil on the shoes after driving for ten minutes with the parking brake on? Is that a strange coincidence that made you less likely to notice the parking brake was on, or could the heat have made it to and damaged the axle seal?

I found out I left mine on after the brakes faded. This was while towing a loaded utility trailer, for about 30 minutes, out of the foothills, at a stop sign.

A couple of wheel studs broke (on one side) when I tried loosening the lug nuts. We ended up thinking heat wouldn't have caused that.

16. cfmvw

cfmvw

Friend of mine used to have one; he called it a parking brick.

Worked at place where we had a minivan for running errands. The cleaning lady used it one day, came back in a panic, telling me the oil light was on. One whiff told me it was the parking brake light.

17. tr_rodder

tr_rodder

@gimpyshotrods , Thank you for the tip! Just bought an assembly should work perfect.

The hand/parking brake on my Plymouth, at a glance seems "backwards", in the operation to activate the brake compared to modern cars. I only have driven it 3 times, since getting it. In process of making it road worthy, just not enough windshield time to get use to yet. I forget to release it all the time. This last fall the first time taking it to work, I had the brake on for 18 miles. At least this one is a band that tights on a drum at the tail of the transmission, not rear brake shoes and drums. The wife approved of this upgrade!..HAHA.

So, one of my projects this year is wire up a warning light. Found a MoPar accessory kit for 6v switch and wiring. Wanted to find a Nash Warning Whistle #AC-2849, that works off the vacuum to let you know the parking brake is on. Got enough trouble with the electrical. I know GM had an accessory whistle also but doesn't look to be as universal of a fit like the Nash's.

gimpyshotrods likes this.

18. THIS! My car will NOT move with parking brake engaged.

Ben

olscrounger and WB69 like this.
  19. My old '60 Cadillac had the perfect parking brake- went on with foot pressure, but came off when any gear was selected. They used a vacuum diaphragm from memory, and there was a vacuum on/off valve as part of the neutral safety switch.

Fabulous50's likes this.
  20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was taught to always use the emergency brake when parking. On both the 40 and wife's 55 the car will not go forward with ebrake engaged. Her 55 also has a factory warning light under the dash next to ebrake handle.

21. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I have a "built in warning system" on my coupe; If the e-brake in engaged, the car doesn't move. If the e-brake is not engaged the car moves and the rear drum squeak, squeak, squeaks. This is courtesy of Currie Enterprises using cheap sh*t Chinese brake drums. They are so out of round, my machinist refused to cut one of them. He did cut the other (wish he hadn't) as best as he could but warned that it was out to the max on one side & couldn't be cut again. And brother does it vibrate at around 55-60 m.p.h.! I had to fight with Currie to get the one replaced. (end of rant)
    Checking to see if the e-brake is dis-engaged is an easy habit to form after more windshield time.

22. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

The gear lube saved the brakes. Fix the seals, brake clean, 80 grit paper, good to go! Careful on the road test, especially the first stop. Probably put you into the windshield

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I pulled the axle yesterday. I think, hope, it's not the bearing. BTW where does the hole in the axle tube that corresponds to the relief in the flange go? Couldn't see a hole inside, poked a wire and got nowhere.

Anyway I cleaned it all, used some gasket sealer this time. Went around to do the other side, brake was dry as a bone. Good news there, didn't have to pull the axle. Would have thought just the one brake would have held it from rolling though. 20220305_125200.jpg

24. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Good time to also check the housing vent is not plugged as well

25. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That flange has a relief (or funnel) at the bottom to let any wayward gear lube, that might leak out past the seal, gravitate down and away (in theory) from the brakes. I don't believe there's a corresponding hole in the axle tube itself.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Good idea. I took a brief look today and couldn't find it on top of the tubes. Hmm.

There's a hole in the housing, where it goes is a mystery. Maybe to the outside? Not wonder I couldn't see the wire I was poking in there..

[​IMG]

27. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Should seep out between the housing flange and the backing plate

28. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

If it’s like mine the bolt that mounts the distribution block on the housing is the vent

29. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That hole is in the backing plate and goes to atmosphere/the ground in the event the seal should fail, as I said.
    I've got a '56 Chevy diff. in my Studebaker. "Poor man's quick change"... if it's a posi you'll have to phase the axles if you rotate the yoke while the axles are out, F.Y.I.. Easier done w/ 2 people. (Don't ask how I know)