Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Interesting inexpensive Craigslist cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Feb 21, 2022.

1. ...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  2. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Looks to be original paint....47's were available in an Ivory.

sgtlethargic likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I was near there yesterday.

sgtlethargic likes this.
  4. NoRust

NoRust

Okay, show of hands, after reading this post. How many of us went directly to your local area GL to search for something, anything ? :)

5. Looks like a decent buy.
    Those make nice sleds.
    I went and looked at a project today. May trade an engine install for the pieces to build a nice 64-5 c10. SWB custom cab.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You won't find much cheap in this area, it seems that everyone who has an old car is a big fan of Pickers or other shows that inflate the prices of old cars even odd ball ones.

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

Sure like that Plymouth coupe, but I might be bias. That one may even still have the original floors in it, I've never seen original floor pans from this era of Mopar, and I've had a lot of them.

By the time I got it home, I'd have double the price in it. I wouldn't consider it cheap then.

Nope, I didn't go to my local Craig's List looking either (but the day is not over yet).

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

9. Driver50x

Driver50x

This one looks relatively solid. E7BB0969-1583-4850-A573-2DB6F6219B09.png

chryslerfan55 and 2Blue2 like this.
  10. 91414990-3EFC-4A8E-B3B1-FE83C6F0AF0D.jpeg 393D211A-44F0-47D3-B5D8-810890B0C8CC.jpeg
    good or bad.
    The Lincoln is as rust free as you’ll find and has the v12 (removed)

but this one looks like an easy one to get cruising again.
    34190C6F-EA05-4D60-A3E6-42C59C407D72.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That Lincoln has been for sale for a while. Looks like it’s pretty solid. I showed it to the wife the other night, told her we could have his and hers cars. She liked the idea, but brought me back down to reality when she said when would you find time to build it? You can’t even get enough time to work on your own.......

Truth sometimes hurts.....

12. scotts52

scotts52

13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

On that Stude wagon, you can get the parts to make the roof slide-able. Might even have them installed, as a lot of folks bolted them shut. The seals weren't the best, but the drainage tubes were horrible, unless you enjoyed a quick shower inside the car. Those are nice wagons. In 65/66, they came w/chevy mills.
    Marcus...

Hamtown Al likes this.
  14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Cool thread! Subscribed.....and I'm going to Craigslist now to see what I like that I shouldn't buy!

15. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Got my avatar from a Craigs List ad. Probably doesn’t meet the inexpensive criteria.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    Hamtown Al likes this.
  16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I see some decent priced cars in the Seattle area all of the time. This morning in the free section was a 283 Chevy that ran, the add is already gone.

Driver50x likes this.
  17. I've been eyeing up a '55 Olds 2 door on the local craigslist. V8 runs, needs brakes, good velour interior with a good headliner. Looks solid and complete, $5500...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  18. charleyw likes this.
  19. I really don't think this Pontiac has a "flathead V8" in it. It is amazing how many Craigslist ads have the wrong engine description or even the wrong year or make. Then misspellings like bumbers, tires with good thread, you get the idea. Amazing how far off from reality these can get!

20. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And this differs from the Hamb how, exactly? :D

21. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or this one. Dang, I'm shocked at how SMALL those are!

View attachment 5326726 [/QUOTE]

That’s one for each foot, right?
    Strap ‘em on!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. The problem with Craigslist ads is that there is a lot of scams on it with underpriced cars listed which the poster does not own. I wouldn't drive very far to look at one of those "good deals".

clem likes this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a common buyer disease "this will be cheap and easy" common seller statement "ran when parked"

24. chryslerfan55 and 2Blue2 like this.
  25. 2Blue2

2Blue2

My Craigslist purchase last April.
    No price tag but they was willing to negotiate:)
    Originally had deal worked for 30 Ford Pickup and 31Phaeton remains but was only able to secure the Phaeton.
    Got it cheap but I cleaned the garage and hauled loads to dump, when dumpster was full, as part of deal.
    Estate sale but someone beat me there and bought some of the better/refurbished pieces before me, leading to more willingness to negotiate.
    Garage door had been nailed on for years.
    IMG_9941 2.JPG

IMG_9909.JPG
    How she looked in Grandpa’s garage
    IMG_9911.JPG

Some welding, patch panels, and Rust-oleum and she looks like this today with her pretend suspension.
    Got a long ways to go but have come a long ways too!:D
    With much thanks to info and encouragement from the HAMB and its members.
    Close to one yr ownership anniversary.
    IMG_0574.JPG

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Pontiac Chiefton is a flathead straight 8 but just like straight sixes all too many people say V for six or eight no matter the configuration. I've even had people look at the 250 in my 48 and say Oh A V6.

That Studebaker as nifty as it is really isn't close to me being about 180 miles and a mountain pass away. Nifty car and after seeing Ric Hoving's doodles on one this week quite interesting.

Still all too often buying a cheap car is settling for somethign you really aren't that worked up about rather than waiting and finding one you really want. I always told guys who wanted to buy an "old car" for a dad and kid project to get a first generation Mustang because you can always sell them easily if you or the kid loose interest. Not Hamb friendly but a lot better for a guy who does not have a serous car guy background to tackle as his first project.

ffr1222k likes this.
  27. ahshoe

ahshoe

Just last week I purchased a Craigslist vehicle .So much of a better deal than the online auction sites. My way of making a seller honest is request a Facetime phone call overview of the car. Better than a video as you can tell the seller where to move or backup the phone for any particular area(s) you want to see. Car has to be there for this plus at times you can see who you are talking to.It is like being there. It works for all my Craigslist purchases.

28. I've bought, sold, traded a number of cars, boats, guitars etc... on Craigslist without issues (including the T Bird in my avatar). I have called about some cars that the "owners" weren't willing to let me take a look, but just chalked it up to a "scammer" and moved on.

29. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Screenshot_20190327-203434_Gallery.jpg Heres my craigslist buy from 3 years ago, hope to be driving this year.

2Blue2, hotrodharry2, Lil'Alb and 6 others like this.
  30. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used to buy a Buch of stuff off of Craigslist, but now can’t search beyond my own state with the app. Anyone have tips for broader searches other than entering key cities one-by-one?