Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods First hand at pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Jan 29, 2022.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Like I said a true art form! Amazing work thanks for sharing

chryslerfan55 and alanp561 like this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's see...
    I think at the rate I'm going, by the time I might finish my roadster, you'll be a highly sought-after pinstriping artist.
    Could you maybe promise to stop by in about 12 years? If you're not too famous?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Good start man... I agree get some glass or something, start just pulling lines over and over... I am self taught myself here... On the end of a line, just pull the brush straight up. To do perfect dots, use the wood end of the brush, run it around in your paint that you have on your pallet, then just tap it to the piece you are striping. Then go up 1/4" and tap again without doing more paint, you can get progressively smaller dots by doing this method. Don't be afraid to wipe it off if you don't like it... mineral spirits is your friend here. A little boiled linseed oil in your reducer also helps flow of the paint. Getting the pallet feel and the right amount of drag is everything.

chryslerfan55 and alanp561 like this.
  4. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

12 years is about how much practice I'll need!

5. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back at you!
    John

28EF8F4E-374C-47D2-AECF-7C1747FE8BEC.jpeg

6. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

It's a great way to do something creative and who knows where it will go. I started late in life and it's opened a lot of doors and meet new friends that I would never have known. The picture on my page was done about a year or so in to it.

Rickybop likes this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Oldstrk
    Yours is one of the nicer looking winged flying eyeballs I've seen.

Oldstrk likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

When I was a teenager and was practicing pinstriping I would stripe the fridge in our kitchen. It had a smooth white baked on finish. I would practice for an hour, then wipe it all off with mineral spirits.

9. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

I tried to teach myself how to pinstripe a few years ago. I got good using this template instead of trying to stripe right away. I got pretty good pulling lines, but had no imagination.

[​IMG]

10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your work is looking great !
    Don't be afraid to try something new, its OKAY to think outside of the " BOX "

sleeve layout (2).JPG sleeve 2 (3).JPG sleeve 3 (3).JPG

Almostdone, alanp561 and GordonC like this.
  11. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Some practice days are more satisfying than others as I am fighting Parkinson's disease as well as my age. No excuses here, just having a heck of a time doing scroll work I am happy with. I am stubborn and persistent to a fault so I will overcome these minor setbacks. Bought several size scroll brushes and the # 3 brush seems a bit more to my liking. No examples I can share but sure glad I can erase and correct my mistakes. Practice practice

olscrounger, Rickybop and Cosmo49 like this.
  12. 1952henry

1952henry

You, sir, are producing some nice work.

13. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Good work,
    I was absolutely convinced with my latent art skills I would step up to the plate and bang out some fine pin striping. Ahh, not so much!

14. indyjps

indyjps

8 hours, looks good. I'm not a striper.

Penetrol, oil paint conditioner.

As stated grab a piece of glass, do it up, take a pic, wipe it off.

Work on the curve / sweep, being able to lay the same arc in both directions. I drew a lot in the past and had a teacher that would have us draw matching sweeps every day. Turn it in at the beginning of class.

Speed, I lay a straighter line cutting in a ceiling when I move fast vs slow. Learned from some pro painters. Understand it's not the same as striping. Confidence, commit to laying the line down is a consideration.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  15. El Mirage Garage

El Mirage Garage

This is just the inspiration I need to try something I’ve always wanted to do.

16. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

Really nice work, sometime we never know what abilities may be hiding. I wish we were closer, I've got something you could practice on.

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks like your doing great! I always wanted to try it since being a bodyman I thought it would add to my business. I didn't and now I shake like a dog shitting peach seeds. :D

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  18. dserge

dserge
    from WV

I thought about ordering some supplies and try to practice some stripping myself this winter. I am just about your age and the winters are long. You may have given me the inspiration to give it a try next winter. If I thought I could be half as good as you after 8 hours of practice it would be a no brainer, but I don't see me doing that good. Stick with it!

19. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@dserge - jump into it! It doesn’t take much to get started and you might find you really like it. I started a few years ago for something to do in the winter. I’m finding I may fit into what @Gasser_Dave said about himself…. I can pull the lines, but seem to be limited by imagination.

Seriously, give it a shot.

John

20. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Go for it. In spite of the frustration you might feel at times you might find rewarding when you hit that great line.

Almostdone likes this.
  21. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Why wait for next winter? Long winter here in Wisconsin as well but none of us are promised tomorrow. Inexpensive venture and although I'll never be good at this, I find it relaxing...at least when I'm not frustrated. Then I just clean the brushes and hit the garage or chase my lovely bride around the house. LOL

Budget36 and Almostdone like this.
  22. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Imagination and inspiration can come from different sources. I'm a raw rookie at this and have learned a lot by reading posts by others here as well as online. Hit some keys on your computer and you will find great examples of highly skilled artists laying lines. I can't achieve that kind of pinstriping but sometimes I take a sketch pad and merely draw different combinations of what I see online or what comes to mind. Combine several designs and make it my own. I keep it simple, layout the design on a glass practice board and vainly attempt to lay paint. Many, many more hours of practice needed.

Budget36, Max Gearhead and Almostdone like this.
  23. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hell ya, you're doing great! Keep at it!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  24. AKHotrod

AKHotrod
    from Alaska

Nice work, I have wanted to learn, just haven't tried yet....

25. dserge

dserge
    from WV

I am not a patient person, I am afraid I will get frustrated. Of course noting ventured nothing gained.

26. I'm impressed. Like others on this thread I bought some One Shot and some brushes and tried pulling some lines. Goal was to be able to stripe my Mysterion clone. I quickly realized I needed hundreds of hours of practice to do the car justice so I hired legendary Bob Coslett to stripe my car. He did a magical job. I do most everything on a car myself including painting but striping is way out of my wheel house.

upload_2022-2-23_15-17-36.jpeg

Almostdone likes this.
  27. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those that are thinking of trying to pinstripe - here are some items to start with…. from a mediocre pinstriper (me).

1) You need to get a proper brush or two. The old-school sword brushes are what many people use, but are hard to control in curves (takes a lot of practice). The newer brushes from Steve Kafka don’t have that shortcoming, but aren’t the old-school way to do it either.

2) You need some paint. The go-to paint is 1-Shot, though there are other pinstriping and sign painting paints. Some use Rustoleum. I’ve been using 1-Shot.

3) You need a way to thin the paint. You can use many things, including mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, etc. I find I prefer the reducers from 1-shot, but they are more expensive than hardware-store items.

4) You need something to practice on. Glass is ‘slippery’ to paint on, but cleans up nicely. There are plastic practice boards from folks like Steve Kafka.

5) Watch some videos on YouTube to get some pointers. Steve Kafka, Hot Rod Jen, Villa Pinstriping to name a few.

I attached a photo of some items and prices from Dick Blick. They are just for information.

Have at it and post back what you paint!

John

204C1968-7DE2-46EE-8144-01970BC9CFB1.jpeg

Budget36 and alanp561 like this.
  28. dserge

dserge
    from WV

Thanks Almostdone, I was hoping someone would post something like this.

Almostdone likes this.
  29. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Can't really hurt striping my paint box. Looks good from 15 feet!
    Still working on experimenting with different brushes. More I do this the more I appreciate those gifted amongst us.

Attached Files:

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I tried pin striping when I was about 20. striped the heck out of an old hood. if pinstriping only involved straight lines I think I would have been good, but I could not come up with a good design if my life depended on it. I even tried it with just a pencil. I'm pretty artsy craftsy, but could not do this well at all.

if anyone needs a straight line on their car, give me a call.

Rickybop and Almostdone like this.