Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Classifieds: 1965 International Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Featured Classifieds: 1965 International Pickup

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Jungle Jalopy, Baumi, Stogy and 13 others like this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

How can you not like a old International Short Box ?

Tank ? ..... Hell yea

Stogy, Hnstray, OG lil E and 3 others like this.
  3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The 266 V8 is a great motor. I daily drove a '67 IH Scout 800 with a 266 V8 in high school and my first couple of years of college. I couldn't kill it, and then it got passed down to my brother, and he couldn't kill it, and trust me, we tried. Not very many modern powertrains that would stand up to 2 teenage boys these days. That said, this truck is just begging for a 392 swap, and I am not talking about a hemi.....

[​IMG]

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My neighbor had a four door I-H pickup years ago, the thing was built like a tank.

5. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Tank...more like tractor with fancy sheet metal. :D
    Those things never die.

6. That truck is REALLY clean! Those things will pass anything but a gas station. Wouldn't work for my 25 mile commute but if I lived closer I could swing it.

@zman

7. Gangrene

Gangrene

I love that thing. If I didn't have two projects taking my cash it would be in my driveway.

Stogy likes this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Growing up during the 50's and 60's in an area with an aggressive IHC dealer those pickups were everywhere and they were durable and long lasting. I'm sure there are some tucked away in the back corner of an old machine shed in this area but finding them could be a challenge?

Jungle Jalopy, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. The Hutterite Colonies up here used them as well as the 11 passenger Travelalls. They never throw anything away so I am sure there is a stash of them somewhere.

10. Any old carbureted pick up is awesome!!

minimal tools and minimal cost keeps them going for a long long time.
    I had a few slightly O/T Ford and Chevy pickups (70’s and early 80’s) that me and my family beat on hard and they kept going one Ford I got for free , had for a few years and sold .

actually wish I had those trucks back as in the last few years they are selling for complete silly money !

Truckdoctor Andy, Stogy and Gangrene like this.
  11. 2935ford

2935ford

If I were in the market for something else......pretty sure it would be an other than the big 3 (Ford/Chev/Dodge) pickup.
    That doesn't look like a bad buy to me!

Stogy likes this.
  12. 1952henry

1952henry

I had a 1956 IHC s120 4x4 with the 240 I-6 backed by a t98 BW and NP 201 transfer case. It was a heavy beast. Problem was, I was 14 and thought it was invisible. The weak Dana 44 front end didn't have a chance...

Stogy, tractorguy and anothercarguy like this.
  13. I believe one could reduce the gas usage A LOT with a simple gear change. The 1973 [ I think } I had was really screaming at anything over 50. I think a 4.44 gear.

Ben

Stogy likes this.
  14. I posted this one that was in a Modesto self-service junkyard back in July 0f 2010:

International crew cab.jpg
    International crew cab v8.jpg

15. Yeah, as mentioned they are basically pickup shaped tractors!

Stogy, tractorguy and belair like this.
  16. There’s lots of them floating around up here, I can think of at least half a dozen off the top of my head

Jungle Jalopy and Stogy like this.
  17. I learned to drive in a 64, laying down tomato hampers, which we then got to fill, for 12 and a half cents per basket. It was the only job we got paid for down on the farm. The truck was a turquoise blue flatbed V8 with a fourspeed. Dad replaced that with a 66 one ton model with a six. It had 6 knobs on the dash, and two of those were on the radio, those were the days.

Jungle Jalopy, Stogy and tractorguy like this.
  18. Sweet. All it needs is dropped.

Stogy and OG lil E like this.
  19. I love the ol' Cornbinders. I wish I would have grabbed one before the interest on them went up, as well as the prices.
    This one showed up in Salina in 2016. I tried to talk to the owner of it, but he was kinda smug so I dropped the conversation. I was trying to get the information on the custom bumpers as well as a few other things. Cool truck though. E

IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

20. Front bumper looks like '54 Buick.

Stogy, jim snow and OG lil E like this.
  21. I have all ways thought 50's & 60's Internationals were so far behind the times as far as styling goes and they were more utititaran than other makes. I have a '46 IHC and I like that style but the 30's trucks were by far the best in styling.

Jungle Jalopy, Stogy and Rolleiflex like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-22_4-29-12.png

Hello,
    When I first saw an International pickup truck, it was on a road trip out to the desert climate near Palm Springs in Indio. We went to visit our dad's friend's house and ranch. It was a big spread that had tons of fruits and vegetables, dates, as well as other farm/ranch stuff. I got to ride on my first tractor. My brother and I saw an old International pick up truck that was used as a work/ranch truck and delivery truck. Rides in/on both were fun as we liked things that made noise and moved.

After that road trip, we began to see plenty of old trucks in So Cal over the years. Some of them were very nicely finished, like the Tahitian Red/Candy Apple Red chopped truck. Then, many years later, it included the one I had to photograph while on the move, in tight quarters. The greenish International Pickup was in a tight parking lot near this shop I was attempting to find on one of our pandemic short road trips. The shop was where I did one of my late-night photo shoots for a magazine on a particular build. It was still there, but the occupants have moved on in their lives.

upload_2022-2-22_4-38-59.png
    The International trucks are/were not as popular as the Ford and Chevy trucks of any time period from those early days as a little kid. Most of the trucks we saw in our neighborhood were work trucks or work-use trucks, even the Tahitian Red/ Candy Apple Red custom truck that stood out as the best of all during that time period.

Some were in different stages of customization, but the overall look was ripe for further custom work. The headlights seem to be ready to accept a set of vertical dual headlights, the grille is just asking for tubular bars or something other than a circus clown face.

Jnaki

Some look good as stock versions with fancy paint, while others just have the cool lowered or slightly lowered rake angle for the current aggressive trend. YRMV

23. Nacifan

Nacifan

Oct.1 2020 042.JPG Oct.1 2020 044.JPG Oct.1 2020 043.JPG Oct.1 2020 045.JPG
    Spotted this Inty at both Spring and Fall 2020 Carlisle...didn't sell both times..must be over priced

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

DSC00575.jpeg

I swear one day I will finish it.

25. Wow @zman, I remember following along with the build on your truck. That was a long time ago here on the HAMB. Cool to see you still have it! Where has the time gone? E

Stogy likes this.
  26. I did some research and I think you're right. That would explain the hood ornament. E

Stogy likes this.
  27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I know right. Kids are some of it. But I have been thinking about it a lot the last month or two. And even got some stuff needed to finish it.

Stogy, Tman and OG lil E like this.
  28. Pickups are cool, practical, and potential Hot Rod material..what's not to like?

29. 1952henry

1952henry

The 50s 4wd, I don't think my puny 44 frontend was an anomaly. Bought one sitting on the hillside at an estate auction. Paid $5 for it, mainly because of the Dualmatic front hubs. After looking at it closely, a bunch of goober welds told me it suffered, perhaps, the same fate as mine. Oh well, I wanted the hubs to restore for the fun of it, and peddle to someone desiring them.

I WILL not abuse my Marmon Herrington Ford. Frontend pieces for those are made of unobtainium.

For those not familiar, Dana 44s came in at least 2 weight ratings at least in the 60s. IHC chose the lightest.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    Stogy likes this.
  30. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

Those IH's are nice trucks, but they rust bad here in MN.

Jungle Jalopy and Stogy like this.