Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Saginaw PS Pump Adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ Top Chop, Feb 20, 2022.

1. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

We're in the process of swapping out a motor in my 50 Merc which came with a new Saginaw GM style ps pump. The problem is the fitting in the pump is not compatible with the Steering Box hose (Steering box is from a Isuzu Tropper). The ends of the hose appear to be metric. I'd rather not have a new custom hose built, looking for the right adapter. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Some of the late 80's Saginaw pumps are metric.

3. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I think the one I just took off is metric, but the new one has v-belt drive and appears to be inverted flare, not 100%.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  4. NoRust

NoRust

NAPA has the adapter needed, I think.

5. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Earls sells the adapter also. Metric o-ring to sae flare.

6. junkman8888

junkman8888

No need to buy an adapter, that big hex fitting in the back of the P/S pump can be unscrewed and swapped out to fit whatever style hose you have. Best of luck with your project.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The o-ring fitting is metric. As has been mentioned, unscrew the outlet and swap it between pumps.

8. brando1956

brando1956

The fitting that the line screws into can be removed from the pump. I think it's an inverted flare where it screws into the pump. When they first made the switch to metric fittings the inverted flare end was changed but the the threads in the pump itself remained standard. At that time you could just swap the fitting from one pump to the other, no adapter or custom hose needed. I don't know if they ever changed the threads in the pump to metric since I last did this did 2oish years ago. Your pump has the old style fitting and your line fitting is the new o-ring type. Ford and GM switched over to the o-ring type fitting in the late 80's so you may be able to rob one off an old pump. Can't say for sure threads will match up but worth checking if you have access to a newer style pump with the o-ring fitting. Even though it's off a foreign car these line/fitting sizes are kind of standard.

If that fails call your NAPA store. If you get a counterman who knows what he's doing he can look up an adapter in the Weatherhead catalog, may have on hand if they carry a stock assortment. I might have one in the 4 foot Weatherhead cabinet I kept when I sold my store, PM me if you can't find and I'll check. Should be 3/8" male inverted flare to 10mm female o-ring fitting. Weatherhead has a website if you want to look it up.

b

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you have about three threads going on this same subject.
    If the threads on the flow control valve match the simple thing is to swap the flow control valves as we said on this thread and the other one. That probably means a trip to your regular source to snag used parts and start raising hoods on 80s GM rigs. A check shows that an 82 C-10 has the O ring fittings on power steering.
    You want to make sure that that fitting on the hose fits the flow control valve though.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    SEAAIRE354 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  10. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Thanks guys, appreciate the help

11. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Switched out the fittings on the back of the pumps, one of those simple fixes, you can make an ordeal about, without thinking it through.