Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 Ford drum and wire wheel?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Thommyknocker, Feb 20, 2022.

1. I pulled the drum off my 48 axle to remove the hoop steering arm.
    The inside of the drum, on the shoe surface, has a very regularly spaced rib pattern.
    IMG_20220220_154658819.jpg
    It doesn't look like rivet wear. Is this normal and usable?

Also, I think this drum needs the supporting collar, right?
    IMG_20220220_155139469.jpg IMG_20220220_155124885.jpg IMG_20220220_154613830.jpg IMG_20220220_155124885.jpg

Thanks!

2. alchemy

alchemy

The drum surface shouldn't look like that so you should get it turned. Yes you will need the support plates/rings to use those wheels on the drums. They are available from Boling Brothers, Speedway, and others.

1oldtimer, Carter and Thommyknocker like this.
  3. I bought my rings from Speedway, that is the safest way to run wire wheels . HRP

[​IMG]

4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

That drum is junk. Caused by some kind of crap that got in there. Don't use it. It's probably beyond the safety limit of .060" oversize already. I can tell it's too far oversize by the slight bevel on the inside outer edge that isn't there any more. Support rings are necessary to prevent cracked wheels.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Just an FYI in case anyone asks, but the hub and drum are 40-42, not 48. And I would surely measure the drum and even cut it a bit over .060 if need be. Finding replacements is expensive.

Carter and Thommyknocker like this.
  6. Thanks for the confirmation.
    You guys rock!

I'll measure these up and see how far out they are.

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Extra friction surface area!

8. X38 likes this.
  9. Ducbsa

Ducbsa
    from Virginia

10. You will need new studs and size the holes in the hubs to accept the new studs…Do you have access to a Bridgeport mill or similar?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That drum does look like it is worn beyond what you should reasonably be able to turn it to clean it up. Still I'd have it measured with a gauge to make sure.
    As for trimming the swagging on the studs, there are several ways to do it depending on what you have to work with. Hole saw that just slips over the stud and hole saw type cutter that fits in a mill are two ways, either way you just cut far enough to cut the swagged out part of the stud way to be able to get the drum off.

12. I do! :)

I've got an offer for some used drums, but they are already removed. I'll look into the studs.
    I've also got an offer for a set of F1 brakes when they put disks on theirs.
    But then wire wheels don't fit well...
    So many options.

Irish Mike likes this.