Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HIgh temp paint on brake drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThosD, Feb 20, 2022.

1. ThosD

ThosD

I bought some POR15 high temp aerosol paint (good up to 1200 *F) for my new brake drums that had been kiss turned to insure roundness. In reading the instructions I see that the paint does not reach full cure until the painted parts are baked for at least 2 hours at 400*F or higher.
    Bake the drums in the kitchen oven? Not when the little woman with a big voice is home.
    I am concerned that the high temp cure may distort the new drums. Has anyone used this paint without the oven cure?

2. Have not done brake drums, but have had exhaust manifolds in the oven at 350 with no warping. She who must be obeyed was at work at the time...

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Why are we so afraid of little women?

Deuces, kadillackid and caseywheels like this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

On another note, I had the rear brake drums on my car powder coated. Later, it looks like one of them was removed from the car by heating the center of the drum with a torch which damaged the powder coat. What gets me, is that I'm the only one in my garage and I didn't do that. Sneaky gremlins.

5. What’s wrong with just regular high heat black paint ?

Tommy

Deuces, 1oldtimer, egads and 2 others like this.
  6. ThosD

ThosD

What is the temperature rating for regular high heat black paint? The paints with higher temp ratings require heated curing. The POR15 I have is rated to work up to 1200*F. Paint that cures through use on drums or calipers is rated at 900*F. I already own the 1200*F paint. But, I may just buy some 900*F rattle can paint and be done. I don't want to suffer through peeling paint because I did not properly cure it.

7. millersgarage

millersgarage

it will stink up the oven, don't do it in one you cook food in.

ClarkH, WalkerMD, swade41 and 3 others like this.
  8. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

How would 400 in an oven warp the drums, when much higher braking temps on the car don't?

9. indyjps

indyjps

Shoot the paint, let it dry well, then put them in your gas grill. Burn off your gas grill on high heat after you're done.

Bandit Billy and Deuces like this.
  10. I bake parts in the oven and wash em in the dish washer
    You’re good

X-cpe and loudbang like this.
  11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Just make sure you don't get any paint on the working surface of the drums....

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Don't know about POR but I've powder coated quite a few drums with no problems.

13. I always use regular spray paint, never had a problem with paint pealing,.

I can assure you if you use the oven in the house you will be buying the wife a new one, please don't ask me how I know! :mad: HRP

14. VHT. Flame proof is supposed to be good from 1300-2000 degrees Fahrenheit .
    Sounds pretty high to me .

Tommy

Budget36 and Deuces like this.
  15. SpeedyAtkins

SpeedyAtkins

You can pick up a cheap toaster oven at almost any second hand shop to bake parts in.

Deuces and David Gersic like this.
  16. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

I have regular rust-oleum gloss black on my DD pickup back drums. The first and only paint job has been there 25 years now. But I don't have road salt.

46international and swade41 like this.
  17. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I use engine enamel. Dries fast and has a plenty high enough temp rating, unless you're going road racing and plan to really heat your brakes.

Gary

Deuces likes this.
  18. Paint 'em and take 'em over to @anthony myrick 's house... he gets by with a lot of shit us mere mortals don't!

MMM1693, loudbang, pprather and 3 others like this.
  19. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've only ever used regular paint on brake drums, never had a problem, but I'm not road racing either.

rusty valley and Deuces like this.
  20. Rebuilding a q-jet in the kitchen.
    Wife thinks it’s funny
    17DF4AAC-DD3F-403F-8312-F5D644EA8A05.jpeg

21. I used the regular Platikote gloss black engine enamel with ceramic on the drums of the '41 (after blasting them) and they still look great over 2 years later.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.

22. So do you think she's laughing AT you or WITH you?? Not trying to stir up trouble, just wondering...

Deuces likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Might be tough to find one deep enough for a brake drum though.

SpeedyAtkins likes this.
  24. Probably a little of both.
    She came home one evening and thought I was cooking dinner. I was boiling a carburetor

25. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Some aren't so little.

26. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I used VHT caliper paint. I did put them in the oven, but at a lower temp. Putting the painted drums in the oven to cure is not necessary, as the paint will cure from brake heat. Either the smell from curing in the oven wasn't that bad, or my wife was out of town.

Keep in mind, when it comes to wives, "The pen is mightier than the sword."

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All carb parts go thru a wash/rinse in the dishwasher with Finish and 1/2 cup of vinegar after a little external brushing on the hottest cycle. You will like how they come out.
    Years ago I made a 3’x2’x2’ wooden box with a hinged lid and 2 250 watt heat lamps. My son has it now. You really needed to watch the heat.

anthony myrick likes this.
  28. jaracer

jaracer

Don't wait too long to get them heat cured. I painted a set of headers with paint that needed high temp to cure. I didn't get around to putting them on the car for maybe 4 years. When I first started the engine and got it up to temp, the paint just fell off the headers. Pulled them and repainted with the same paint but put them back on and got them up to temp right away. They look good 2 years later.

29. I paint my drums with regular old Rustoleum and never had an issue of it burning off, of course I don't ride my brakes or go scta racing, just normal city driving.

46international and Crazy Steve like this.
  30. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Did you put those headers on a newly rebuilt engine?