Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Passing By

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Feb 18, 2022.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well I don't remember what I was taught about passing on a two lane road in drivers' Ed. I searched but keep thinking there is something missing from the how to's. Should you let the car in front of you know if you are going to pass? Toot the horn [Maybelline], flash headlights, put turn signal on and just go when clear [I know what clear means] or put turn signal on and wait a bit hoping the car ahead notices and is prepared for your passing? In my 60 years of driving I think I have passed maybe three cars cause they were going slower than the speed limit but many times have been passed by a vehicle [mostly MC] that I didn't know I was being passed till they were along side; good thing I didn't have to swerve to miss a deer or dog or who knows what..

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  2. Don't pass on a double yellow line and Never blow a horn when you do, that can scare the driver and may cause them to make a erratic move. HRP

3. twenty8

twenty8

You should try these things.........:) I have them on my cars, and they work really well.
    [​IMG]
    Credit pic to @Asphalt Angel

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Maintain a gap of at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle ahead. Check if the road is clear. Signal for about 4 flashes of the indicators before acting. Check mirrors to make sure you're not about to be passed. Accelerate as fast as you can without breaking traction in any way, smoothly crossing the line when you've closed the gap to about 1 second. Return to the correct side when you can see both headlights of the vehicle you've just passed in your mirrors.

It ought to work exactly the same on multi-lane freeways, were it not for the parrots obliviously sitting on your offside shoulder.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then you probably wouldn't have appreciated this.

I was doing about 75mph on the expressway in the right-hand lane. Suddenly, there was what sounded to be the unbelievably loud buzz... more like the scream... of 1000 giant bees coming from behind me. Like an EXPLOSION, 3 super duper ninja motorcycles passed me on my immediate left...
    At over 100 mph...
    On the rear tires...
    With humans riding them...
    ZZZZZZZZOWWWWWW!!!

No warning.
    No blinky light.
    No friendly toot toot.

I almost pooped my panties.

6. LOL. I agree

48fordnut likes this.
  7. Wonder if they will mature into hoodlums on four wheels :D. Anyhow, who remembers suicide lanes ? Thats three lanes , outside lanes for both directions and middle lane for passing in both directions . Whoever is in the middle lane at any given time has right-of-way o_O . That did,nt allways work :oops::rolleyes: . Common sight in Australia in the 50s, 60s, 70s.
    Not to be confused with passing lanes on long hills.

chryslerfan55, 5window and Hnstray like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Passing by others going slowly was a new game for us. As a teenager, the Flathead 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was the odd man out. It was the one being passed on uphill climbs, long straight away roads with an incline and almost any non-level roads in So Cal.

The lack of power was a little daunting, but, getting to our destination along the coastal routes was pleasurable and it was the journey, not the speed. We realized that we enjoyed a trouble free driving experience without any worries while going to places we have never been or our favorites in So Cal. The Flathead motor just purred and got us to where we wanted to go. It just took a little extra time and that was fine, as we knew the rewards at the destination.

We did not have to worry about passing anyone as we were usually the ones being passed. There was very little viewing directly out of the small rear door window, as our longboards were jammed into place.
    upload_2022-2-19_4-5-17.png
    So, the outside mirrors were used, quite frequently, to see what was coming up on the left side going fast during a passing phase.

Jnaki

Sometimes when driving without a few longboards sticking out of the rear window and the back cave filled with surfing/beach supplies, the sedan delivery felt faster. But, it still did not have the passing power for leaving anyone behind on any long hill or grade on a highway.

We certainly knew our routes North and South along the So Cal coastline. Even when a freeway was available, the driving was usually done on the far right lane or the next one over when on ramps were seen. Access to the local So Cal mountains, a mere 1.5 hours away, was appealing, but we went up there in the Chevy V8 powered sedans.

The only thing slower than our flathead sedan delivery on the road was usually a VW bus, loaded with surfboards, surf gear and a few happy teens going to the surf spots along the coastline. YRMV

9. squirrel

squirrel

You don't get out much, do you?

Look around, signal, pass, get back in your lane when you can see the bumper of the passed car in your inside rearview mirror.

Also keep in mind what you're driving...some cars are better at passing, than others.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Been there, had that happen before! Will scare the shit outta you!
    Try passing on a two lane road with a loaded 48 foot trailer dragging along behind ya! You better make sure you have plenty of room!

No telling how many folks I've passed over the years. Even if I'm not in a hurry, I can't stand to drag ass around.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I can use my mirrors but if the numb nuts in front of me doesn't then what. If I can't trust the car in front then why should I pass? Maybe a lowly toolmaker should stick to passing chips.

12. chopped

chopped

I only go 10 mph over the limit, I never pass anyone.

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Every time I try and pass a slower driver they end up running 30 plus mph over the speed limit to keep me from passing. :mad:

14. Budget36

Budget36

I rarely pass vehicles anymore, unless they are just putting along doing 40 in a 55 area. Pass a lot of farm equipment though.
    I’m just never in a hurry to get anywhere.

15. Is this the HAMB or Drivers Ed?

Mick

16. Budget36

Budget36

Thoughts expressed are good for many to just think and ponder on. Many may not give a second though, as HRP said “toot the horn” you could startle the drive of the car you are passing and cause an accident.
    When I took drivers Ed 45+ years ago, as many did and before that as well, we watched films and got narration from the 50’s. Doesn’t really pertain to today;). Sure, the basics do, but not real world

Tow Truck Tom and seb fontana like this.
  17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I was passed the other day by an idiot going about 100 in the breakdown lane, he was racing another idiot in the left lane. This was at 7:30 am in rush hour traffic.

18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Don’t be a road boulder, move over

48fordnut likes this.
  19. chopped

chopped

Couple weeks ago backed up on freeway. Guy rolls past in the shoulder, he didn't see the cop sitting 6-8 cars ahead. Made my day when he got lit up.

20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Ned & Jim nailed it.
    Make damn sure you've got enough room to pass safely.
    Don't F around in the Death Lane when passing someone. Just get it done.
    Marcus...

pirate, 427 sleeper and Ned Ludd like this.
  21. twenty8

twenty8

The dangers of overtaking are only one of many things to worry about.
    You do know not to go swimming for an hour after lunch, don't you......???:eek::eek::eek:

An old guy I looked up to gave me this advice a long time ago. I miss him.
    "If worrying actually helped, I would stay home on Fridays and worry all day........"

I must apologise to @firstinsteele . The tongue-in-cheek mirror post was me. It seems you are guilty by association.....:)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    WalkerMD and Ned Ludd like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live about 1.8 miles from the stoplight coming out town and 1.2 miles from one of the deadliest intersections in the state simply because cars coming from the side road in either direction don't stop at the stop signs. Some of those fools will blow though the stops sign at 40 if they think they have just enough room to get across in front of you or will time it so they cross just inches behind your back bumper and if a fast moving car is hidden by your rig either way there is a chance of a bad wreck. I've had cars pass me doing 80+ less than 200 yards from that intersection crossing on a bridge and with double yellow lines more than once.
    Getting ahead of someone who you think is driving too slowly isn't worth dying for because you are too impatient to wait for a clear section of open road.
    I don't tend to drive as fast as I used to anymore Simply because burning up the road isn't as important as it once was and I'd rather kick back and cruise rather than see how fast I can get somewhere.

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When did they change the 2 second rule on following somebody? It must be 1/2 a second now. For bad drivers, I just pull over and let them go.

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When big trucks pass you at night. Turn off your driving lights for a second to signal it is safe for them to pull back into your lane. It is the proper thing to do. Some of them will thank you by flashing their trailer lights on and off.

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Every time I make a pass, My wife slaps me...

26. Budget36

Budget36

Pssst. Last time it wasn’t the wife;)

27. 5window

5window

I'm much more cautious than I used to be and drivers today seem to often be ignorant in general. I've got a much heavier foot than my normally mild mannered wife. Back when we drove places with friends, we developed a signal so if she thought I was not being cautious, she could tell me without embarrassing me in front of our friends. It went like this: "What the Hell are you doing? Pull over right now and let me drive" Worked every time.

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Getting pretty bad when you can't even look down to get another beer without some bastard trying to pass and honking at you. Lippy

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"His horn went, beep, beep, beep. (Beep! Beep!).
    Now we're doing a hundred and twenty, as fast as I could go.
    The Rambler pulled alongside of me as if I were going slow.
    The fellow rolled down his window and yelled for me to hear,
    Hey, buddy, how can I get this car out of second gear?"

30. LOL

Ben

Tow Truck Tom likes this.