Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40/54cheby 235 exhaust routing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Feb 18, 2022.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im going to the muffler shop next week . having my forever twice pipes fabbed/ installed . i was wondering what the best spot to to cross one over to the right side might be ?.i what good ground clearance , and a route that wont get in the way if /when i do work in the future . i had the shop order 1.5 pipe and im going to run straight pipes .at least till i get a ticket , or go insane ! or get beat up . ive been running stainless headers , but im going to switch to a stock manifold that has been split . i think/hope it will give me the sound i want /remember . and i think the heat in the intake might make the fuel atomize a little better .any DSCF5752.JPG DSCF5754.JPG DSCF5756.JPG DSCF5755.JPG DSCF5603.JPG imput will be ingested .an some digested i only want to do this once , right . cant wait to get rid of the junk i threw together to get on the road .thnx bill

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

A good muffler shop should know what to do.

3. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

where i live we dont have a choice . we have a muffler shop. you get what you get .so he only knows what i tell him . he looked under the hood and told me i needed a plug on the rear header . itisnt drilled till you drill it so i think um good .but hes young .thought i was missing my o2 sensor !

loudbang likes this.
  4. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

surely someone has some ideas . i got the cast / split manifold on yesterday !

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hide them. This a 1940 with a 302 GMC6 C218E5C7-8E67-4CFF-A766-13FD3D29A52C.jpeg F8C7D47A-332D-4DDB-9566-D2FF3276F600.jpeg

1952henry and buick bill like this.
  6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

does seem like side by side works best . the only spot i see to cross over is right behind the fuel tank . and i dont like that idea at all !! your whole deal is bad to the bone ! maybe someday..................

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I had a 52 chev with fentons and it crossed over behind the bellhousing and before the trans. I found this pic on google where they crossed it in front of the pan sump. Did you completely block the front from the back on your split manifold? if you didn't it will be real quiet....
    eh.jpg

302GMC and buick bill like this.
  8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i welded a plate in . might be slight leakage . it was hard to access. but very close to separated .i did not like the sound of the headers at all , so i have to give it a shot .the manifold appeared to have the block brazed before .long gone ! so i used cast rod . i think it will be permanent . right or wrong !

Moriarity likes this.
  9. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

if i told how long it took to make this mess .youall would truly pity me .no matter how it sounds after its done ,it has to look sooooooooooo much better .the crose over in frnt lookks good.if the cross has a joint that comes lose to remove the pan ?

Attached Files:

10. Budget36

Budget36

Several years ago (maybe 5?)I came across an article and write up of a place that did mail order custom exhaust. You specify the diameter you want, approx length needed. They sent you a flexible tubing and some cans of stuff.
    You routed as you wanted, poked holes in it and sprayed the stuff in the holes. It hardened and held its shape.
    You then put witness marks where you needed it cut and numbered them. Something like 1-1, 2-2, etc and you would hacksaw, etc in between the “-“ then put it in a box and send it to them, and you’d receive pieces of tubing, marked and set up to weld together. I don’t recall if they expanded the tubing or you had to butt weld it.
    Seemed pretty slick if it’s still out there.

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would imagine that if you had to remove the pan that you would just take the engine out. Or you could simply remove the crossover pipe at the manifold and slip it out of the muffler. I would think that less joints would be best

12. 6inarow

6inarow

shotgun pipes out the left side

lowrd likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate to tell anyone their business, but I think I'd load that one on a trailer and haul it to a muffler shop that knows a bit more about doing exhaust on older rides with custom pipes.

Way back in the dark ages of the early 60's I helped by buddy put a split manifold and duals on his 54 and if I remember right one of the pipes crossed over to the right side behind the trans and under the torque tube on that one. What looked like mufflers were a few inches behind the trans crossmember. That setup ended up on about five rigs around the area over a year and a half as guys would stick them on and then get a ticket for loud pipes within a couple of weeks, I think it took Mike a week before we ended up pulling them back off and putting the stock setup back on so he could "fix his ticket".

loudbang likes this.
  14. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Mimic the 53/54 Corvette exhaust may make it simple for you, at least at the portion before between the front and middle cross-members.

54corvettesystem1.jpg
    This is a kit from Gardner Exhaust.
    Note the passenger side exhaust down pipe. Hard to tell in this picture as the camera angle hides the bend that brings the pipe forward into a rolled 90° bend that goes under the front part of the oil pan dimples, keeping the pipes tucked up.
    As seen here...
    ch21.jpg
    Also note the rolling 90° bend to clear the steering box and linkage.
    ch13.jpg
    Backside shot of the Pside pipe PG support bracket.
    ch16.jpg
    Another shot showing the rolling 90° bend and how the pipe clears the road draft tube.
    *I can't recall if the Corvette tube is different from the Sedans, can always fix that with a simple PCV conversion and eliminate the draft tube.*
    ch18.jpg
    Close up shot of the Pside pipe PG support bracket.
    Also note the Corvettes X frame and C channel, not sure if this is same/similar to the Convertible Sedans.

buick bill likes this.
  15. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i aint hearing any more sugestions . because in frnt of the pan seems to be the only spot that makes since . im glad i asked because i never considered croosing there .the idea behind no muffler is that at some point if i feel i need them ,it will be easy to ad glass packs.i should be able to do it myself . but ive never had pipes that exited out the rear i thought where to loud .i dont think glass packs really do much.

16. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

well , got er done . 6 hrs. , if you can believe it ! and im not really happy with the work . im sure not impresed . in the least . but it sounds great . exactly like i wanted. he got the pass. side pretty good . but the drivers side . which should have been easy , looks like a blind man did it . oh well . its done . and only 5 bills ? with no mufflers or flanged . 4 hangers , in todays economy , i guess thats a good price .anyway , sounds just like i wanted .no mufflers with 1.5 pipe isnt too DSCF5774.JPG DSCF5776.JPG DSCF5782.JPG DSCF5783.JPG DSCF5773.JPG loud . to me !!!!! thnx for the routing advice !

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  17. Budget36

Budget36