Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric Fuel pump ? help please >

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VEDETTE, Feb 11, 2022.

1. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Hi!
    I’d like to know which electric fuel pump would go for carburetor MDL 4160C 390 CFM Holley 0-8007 ?
    There are many choices on pressure and prices! :(
    which one do you recommend?

Thank you! ;)

2. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Any that operate with 7LBS or less fuel pressure....

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Carter P4070. 4-8 psi

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You probably know this.
    Best position for an electric fuel pump is near the fuel tank, not near the engine/carburetor.

5. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Holley Red pump should do it as far as pressure (7 lbs max) but the pump volume you need also depends on the HP you need to support (i.e., how much fuel you need).

John

6. The Carter street pump would be my recommendation. It's been years since I used one but they were quieter than the others and very reliable. The fuel ran though them to cool the unit.

Bob Lowry, RmK57, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  7. X2
    20200422_150815~3.jpg

8. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Thank you very much for your responses! I pass this information on to my friend..

;):cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My son and his partner took one of our cars away for a week , day one electric fuel pump blew a fuse , an impossible place to get at on a low car. So he Gerry rigged one in the engine bay which worked great unless they got stuck in. Line of traffic and the heat got to it , cool down away again. So in agreement with @Rickybop they are a pusher not puller.

lothiandon1940 and VEDETTE like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And you can actually run the carburetor bowls out of gas at exactly the time you're trying to go fast cuz the pump can't pull strongly enough.

lothiandon1940 and VEDETTE like this.
  11. Another vote for the Carter, a little noisy but if it's in the rear near the tank like it should be, then you'll be alright. A 100 micron filter before the inlet is another recommendation as well with a finer filter after it (there is a Wix element in the Fram can) 2CC16304-DFB9-40F0-BE67-D2C64AE1E5D6_1_105_c.jpeg .

557C9CB4-12D9-4588-8F4F-333242BBA4B7_1_105_c.jpeg F514CB95-312B-4EAF-8EC8-A34631C7C69E_1_105_c.jpeg

pprather, mad mikey, VEDETTE and 2 others like this.
  12. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Thanks Nick!

Just Gary likes this.
  13. X4 on the Carter pump. Ran it on several cars, past and present and it just works great for carb engines.

mad mikey, VEDETTE and Just Gary like this.
  14. If you mount them on those rubber do-hickeys (like grommets), that shuts the clackety- clack up.

Bob Lowry, VEDETTE and Just Gary like this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mount on rubber or “lord” bushings.

Bob Lowry, VEDETTE and Just Gary like this.
  16. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I'll take it one step further and say that the best place for an electric fuel pump is IN the tank! :D

Something like this.

The pump will be almost silent and being submerged in the fuel keeps it nice and cool. Of course it depends on your tank design, but the Holley RetroFit Modules are super easy to install in most OE-style tanks. Just knock a hole in the top and drop it in. And it's a good idea to use a relay for most electric pumps, just to be on the safe side.

VEDETTE and Just Gary like this.
  17. Always use the good old Carter. Never had any problems with it, great price, well built.

18. Just to add, the Carter is a rotary vane pump with internal bypass. Great design for a street performance fuel pump.

19. SlamIam

SlamIam

Carter P4070 here also, next to the tank

VEDETTE, olscrounger and Just Gary like this.
  20. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

And then there's the option of using the mechanical pump that originally came on the engine.
    They work really well.

VEDETTE, olscrounger and caseywheels like this.
  21. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

No! it's for Rover V8 .. the block has no place to attach a mechanical pump

22. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

Please, which filters to use for Carter 4070? can you give me links?
    and where Can I find a plan for installation?
    ;)

23. 57Fury440

57Fury440

I've been that pump for years. Pretty quiet and trouble free. I mounted it near the tank.

24. 57Fury440

57Fury440

Correction: I've been using that pump for years.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  25. Carter on the drag coupe, I like it way better then the big noisy Holley I had on it years ago. I heard somewhere that our military also employs Carter fuel pumps.

Just Gary and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  26. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been under the impression that the reason electric fuel pumps were mounted close to the gas tank was to pressurize as much of the fuel line as possible. This was done to mitigate vapor lock. Vapor lock occurs in the unpressurized part of the fuel system. There may be some efficiency to have them push instead of pull, but I can't comment on that.

The Holley electric fuel pump in my 32 Coupe is located on the inside of the RH frame rail about midway between the tank and engine. It is regulated to 4.5 lbs. The filter is located in the trunk close to the tank for easy access. A shutoff valve is located between the tank and the filter as a safety factor.

27. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I agree

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  28. VEDETTE

VEDETTE
    from FRANCE

29. RmK57

RmK57

I just got through installing a Carter 4600. It does require a regulator. One thing I like about is I can drive the car with the pump off and it will still pull fuel through the electric pump to my mechanical. The blue thing is my filter and needs to installed before the pump. The Carter pump does have filter screens in it from the factory but not fine enough for my liking. If you buy the right Carter pump you don't need a regulator.

sump.JPG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  30. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Any pump....including a mechanical is much more efficient to push a liquid. This is simple physics, as in order to pull (suck) you need the atmosphere to push the liquid to the pump.

That is why we put pumps in the liquid we want to move, or keep the suction line as big and short as possible. Think of a submersible well pump/ in tank fuel pump etc.

This cheap pump has worked well for my 250HP FE. Depending on how long it lasts, I may just replace it with the same thing, or upgrade to the Carter 4070 that is so popular.

20200201_164307.jpg

ClayMart likes this.