Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you look to see if people are looking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Aug 14, 2019.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-16_4-9-39.png Westside of Long Beach 1953 to 1998

Hello,

When we were still into taking long road trips in the 327 SBC powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, it was like a magnet for the times. There weren’t too many red 40 Ford Sedan Delivery hot rods on the street. So, when we were moving on the street, people would look at us like …”what the …?” Since they had never seen one before, then the looks came on at stop lights and beach parking lots.

To some, it looked like a delivery person was stopped at our Westside of Long Beach location during my teenage hot rod days. It also happened many years later when my wife and I rolled up to our mom's house for a bi-weekly visit. Actually, it was a delivery person(s). We had food, photo equipment and of course, ourselves for a nice family visit. Despite the fact that our mom was a fantastic cook, she had this craving for a foot long, charbroiled hot dog from our local restaurant down the street. Char broiling was the newest cooking method and only one restaurant in the Westside had the technology.

upload_2022-2-16_4-11-28.png
    Sure, it is nice to get admiring looks when driving, but, when my wife was driving and I was just sitting back relaxing, it was really something. Either the guys thought she was a catch… she was, or that because they could not see me relaxing in the passenger seat, they thought they could score… NOT.

She would turn to me and ask what she should do. I told her different things, like, just floor it and leave, to flip them off, or just look, shake your head, no and move on to the rest of the road trip. She just chuckled and usually gave them a stern appearance, with her menacing sunglasses look. Then if and when it continued, then I sat up and now, the car outside and those idiots moved on down the street.

I must have that menacing look with/without sunglasses.

Jnaki

The 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was perfect for our two person adventures. It gave us plenty of privacy, a great running SBC motor and driveline, as well as cool A/C. It looked like my old Flathead sedan delivery with the red paint and small chrome hubcaps/trim rings on black rims. The original Flathead powered version was just a simple classy design that for us was a timeless hot rod look. It wasn’t flashy by any means, it was just different, so the looks continued.
    upload_2022-2-16_4-13-49.png
    It was a great hot rod to have on Valentine’s Day when we went out for dinner at our favorite restaurants along the So Cal coastline from L.A. South Bay in the North to San Diego to the South, with Laguna Beach in the middle.

These days, it is a memory worth saving.

i.rant likes this.
  2. Of course! But the biggest issue I have always had is I can never see my car drive down the street. I cherish glimpses of it in store windows as I drive by. After all, this by definition is my favorite car.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    Callmaker likes this.
  3. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

I needed a laughing emoji on that one instead of just a like.

hotrodjack33, y'sguy and Joe Travers like this.
  4. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

hotrodjack33 and firstinsteele like this.
  5. Indirectly. It's more watching out for people gawking and veering towards me, since people seem to have a tendency to veer toward whatever they're looking at on the road.
    But I do often see people roll up their windows at a stop light when sitting next to me. :D

6. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I've got a 74 dart sedan as my daily driver and a couple choppers that def make people turn their head.
    my son rides with me on/in all of them. over the summer he was going on and on about how cool it was when you see an old car rolling down the street, and then said "now I'm in one of those cars and its really cool". he's 15 now and has been around and on my bikes for as long as he can remember and the car is the past few years. my son is not a "car guy". he doesn't really care about them at all, but he definitely likes my car over any of the newer cars he rides in.
    so while im not looking around, i know it makes an impact on people. the fact that my son feels proud to be rolling around in my clapped out dart makes me happy. I honestly can't wait to get my truck built up and cruise around in that because it will 100% turn heads WAY more than the dart.
    i don't care if people stare, but it does feel good to feel acknowledged for the work you've done on your vehicles.

dwollam likes this.
  7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Only when I'm peeing.:D

8. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like you all I don't build and drive these old machines to try and look cool. I do it because it's what I like. That being said I sure don't mind visiting with folks while I'm at the gas pump or getting the waves and thumbs up while I'm driving. Like @LAROKE said, it's priceless when the kids grin and point. I love it!

LAROKE and '28phonebooth like this.
  9. [​IMG]

Another photo of a DORK, actually there is not enough room inside the truck for both arms, besides I think it's a comfortable driving position. HRP

clem, hotrodjack33, tiredford and 3 others like this.
  10. My t-bucket seems to get the most reactions for some reason, living in the city there's tons of traffic and that means tons of horn honks and waves, I just wave back.
    I was taking my stepdaughter (young teenager at the time with her easily embarrassed self) to dance one day, stopped at the first traffic light and she turns and says "I hate riding in this car". I was taken back at first, then ask her why, her reply was "people are always staring" I said there not looking at you, they're just looking at the car, it doesn't look like a normal car ya know.
    There's a local guy that posts videos from the backseat area of himself driving his chevelle, the guy can't help himself from looking left to right like a damn owl to see if anyone is looking at him. The first video I seen I thought look at this clown, the 10th video I seen, I thought look at this clown.

Joe Travers, Dooley, MRW1994 and 3 others like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha, yeah, not a lot of room in them. You sure nailed the stance with that truck Danny, it's perfect.

12. indyjps

indyjps

Been a while. But I know they're looking.

Big stall, LOUD exhaust, tapping throttle to clear the carb - just enough to stay under the converter. Most of the time on non DOT tires.

I was scanning the horizon for law enforcement. Not fans.

I eventually learned enough to get the carb under control :D

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  13. Cool is not an issue for me. I could care less really.
    I do keep my head on a swivel as i do not like being run over. Alive and not seriously maimed is an issue to me.

14. carbking

carbking

Beaner - you stated the answer very well!

Jon

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I save my energy for the girls!:rolleyes:

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  16. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I don't have to act like I'm cool...LOL

17. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

I went through a lot of trouble to build my seat risers so my arm would be level and comfortable, not at a 45 deg. angle.
    What`s funny sitting at a light, do a quick glance to see if the person next to me is checking out my ride and they snatch their head straight, like they`re not looking. LOL

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  18. I agree with you Swade, and no offence, but I just gotta say... Less verbiage and more avatar! (You could break your comment down into several posts, ya know)

hotrodjack33 and swade41 like this.

19. I've never had that happen, but then again... I don't usually cruise Senior Centers!

hotrodjack33 and alanp561 like this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

One evening when my sweetie and I were cruising through downtown Monroe in our "Hot Tub" a group of girls shouted out "Hey Mister, cool car, really sick".
    I turned to my wife and asked, "Where the hell were these girls when I was seventeen?"

Attached Files:

21. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I'll bet that made you a lot of points!

LAROKE and hotrodjack33 like this.
  22. Here's a photo of said t-bucket so you can compare headlights and a reason to make another post 102_6317.jpg 20170819_130400.jpg ha ha ha

clem, hotrodjack33 and MRW1994 like this.
  23. hotrodjack33 and swade41 like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Heck, that’s what I’m talking about!

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Not usually, but it has happened. Especially if I am driving something I just finished or just bought, where the intial enthusiasm is fresh. Half the time, I'm concentrating on driving defensively, or daydreaming or planning, or somehow deep in thought and I forget that I'm driving a hot rod. Then someone gives me me a thumbs up or a wave, and I remember. I always acknowledge them, and try to share my enthusiasm when the opportunity arises. I don't put any effort or concern into being more or less cool or dorky. I just be myself, and if it is cool, fine. If not, that's fine too. Trying to be cool isn't usually cool.

26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Attached Files:

Budget36 likes this.
  27. outagas1961

outagas1961

have had people waiting by my amc ambassador in parking lots to talk about the car when i come out of a store . most just want to compliment it. some try to buy it

28. Budget36

Budget36

Damn. He looks better than me. I’ll just put the head down and walk away…

29. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think L.A. in the late '60's. A bunch of greasy, long haired guys in a beater sitting at a light and some poor sucker in his really nice late model ride pulls up next to them. All at once, everybody in the beater is hanging out the windows staring at Mr. Cleancut, pointing and yelling " Parts, look guys, he's got parts ". At this point, the guy runs the light. Happened more than once.:D

Mr. Sinister likes this.
  30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH, owww, ow, ow, ow. I may puke. :eek::eek::eek: