Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Supply Chain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Feb 17, 2022.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

It seems things are getting worse, it makes building hot rods more difficult? Ordered Excelsior radials in August may have them by May, Ordered Posie rolled and tapered front and A rear springs last summer, they have no delivery date, Ordered Brassworks radiator in September may have by April, Couple months wait on boxed frame rails, Ordered 40 part number 5272 bellhousings from Offenhauser early last year, finally gave up after 2 price increases and no parts. I'm sure these companies are doing their best to deliver but it sure is frustrating trying to build cars without the parts. I know bitch/bitch/bitch. Please don't turn this post into something political.

warbird1, GordonC, Kan Kustom and 5 others like this.
  2. Junk yard

Junk yard
    from Paltucky

Bitch , Bitch!! YOU EVER SO RIGHT!!

Mikus Maximus likes this.
  3. EVERYTHING is getting worse. I'm in Purchasing and it sucks big time right now. Plastics in particular, and that's impacting packaging in a big way as well.

On the automotive side, I'm glad I got my bucket mostly wrapped up last year, I keep seeing the same messages from everyone building a car right now.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The on-going supply chain issues are part of the reason I bought a finished car recently.
    I really thought we would see some improvement with these issues by now, but I am apparently wrong.
    This does have me concerned that we'll never get back to ordering the parts we need and having them within a week or two.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was looking for seat foam for a Glide seat and I finally had to to call Glide and go on the waiting list. 3 month expected wait! Glad I am not in dire need. I can always sit on patio cushions...again :cool:

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Feel your pain on the tires. Ordered a set at Hershey from Coker thinking I’d have them by Christmas. Was told around Christmastime they would be in “2nd quarter 2022” :confused:

Plugged up supply chain has affected so many other regular things as well.

mad mikey and Driver50x like this.
  7. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Other than tires, I try to make, build or modify parts. Sucks relying on other people for stuff. So much china made garbage here already, I try not to add to it. Sure it costs more money but I'd rather keep my neighbors working than some sweat shop slave across the globe. We have plenty of resources here, no need to be held up by some ship stuck off the coast

8. The house construction business is about as bad, maybe worse........a builder told me he has a 2 year wait on some supplies.......

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

It helps to justify all of the random crap I have squirreled away, which is extra rewarding when I actually use it but also bad because it encourages me to squirrel away more random crap.

OFT, roddering, stillrunners and 14 others like this.
  10. HerMink

HerMink

I've gotten off easy thus far but I am going to be needing some tires this Spring and I'm getting nervous.

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Keep it clean guys, no politics. I'm just asking about hot rod parts.

12. Last June, I embarked on a new project. I ordered everything that I knew I would need. There were some items that I had 2 choices. One was a gauge cluster. I found 1 in stock. That was the end of the decision. :) I'm sympathetic with Gary. He and I are old and we know how this used to be. When you tell a 70 year old guy to wait a year, you have to think about that. LOL.

TomT, rockable, OFT and 8 others like this.
  13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This is an issue--many parts unobtainium Got a stash of enough to maybe build one more 40 then after that don't know When this began I didn't realize that it would continue for so long--glad I found a 40 Coupe that has all the hard to find parts on it--This one is a stocker-no paint,trim,int needed. Just jerk out the stock stuff and make it a hotrod

OFT, Irish Mike, RICH B and 5 others like this.
  14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This is reminding me of a funny comment my grandma made 5+ years ago. She was in to get a new cell phone and was asked if she wanted insurance on it. She looked at the salesman kind of funny and said "At my age, I don't even buy green bananas anymore". She's 96 now.

TomT, Corn Fed, OFT and 27 others like this.
  15. rlsteel

rlsteel

Maybe American businesses will stock their shelves better next time before there is a trade war with tariffs

chevy3755, mad mikey, chopped and 3 others like this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No politics is like...heaven

Driver50x, impala4speed and AVater like this.
  17. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Coker is raising prices 5% to 25% on new orders and those not yet sent. A few months back they were advertising $100 off on a set of Excelsior radials when they didn't have them in stock to ship. Now that order may be hundreds more when they finally arrive at your door. That's not good business, it's price gouging.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Dug: Jeg's ran my credit card the same day they took my order in August. I wonder if they'll add a surcharge when they finally do ship my tires?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

From the email they sent me last week it looks like that is exactly what they'll do.

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

It's a different world at Coker since it changed hands!

21. I dunno... I've been working on my project car all winter and buying lots of parts. No real problems so far. Less choices for sure...and prices are higher.
    I ordered front tires from Diamonback in Jan, they said 4 to 6 weeks. I had them in 5 days...
    Maybe I'm just lucky?

2Blue2 and seb fontana like this.
  22. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Email from Coker: "Dear valued customer,

Our manufacturing costs have risen substantially in the past 12 months, far outpacing anything we’ve passed on to our customers. Due to these circumstances, our products will see between 5% and 25% increases. These prices will be effective February 21, 2022. Any outstanding orders not shipped on or before March 25, 2022, will be adjusted to reflect the new prices. If you have a backorder that is not fulfilled by March 25, 2022, a sales representative will reach out to you with an updated order total.

As always, we are committed to providing you with the best service in the industry and keeping our prices as competitive as possible. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future."

Mikus Maximus and '28phonebooth like this.

23. I don't buy green bananas anymore for the same reason!

24. HaHA... that's funny... you used "Coker" and "competitive" in the same post! HaHa... you gonna take your act on the road?

25. Jones St.

Jones St.

You do know the answer as to why the supply chain is broken. You have seen grow larger & longer the past 2 years. Now food is involved. So, Back to Hot Rods & Customs fella's.

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

One of my suppliers told me that when they buy steel, it is at market value, when it ships. Their suppliers won't hold to a price quoted at the time of order. How are you going to price your final product if you don't know your cost going in?

Shipping cost is also a crap shoot.

I sell everything with an 'approximate shipping charge' to be adjusted as needed. I do refund any excess. Back orders get charged separately for shipping.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I must be getting old because I'm just happy that I can get toilet paper again without having to wait in line for two hours!!!

2Blue2, chevy3755, mad mikey and 8 others like this.
  28. 2935ford

2935ford

Another reason I'm finished building cars.........:(

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  29. mickeyc

mickeyc

One cant buy freakin biscuits hear in the local supermarkets!

papacub likes this.
  30. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I bought a bidet. I fear no TP shortage