Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods i had it all wrong

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Feb 17, 2022.

1. silent rick

silent rick

in my mind, i was stuck on form over function. all i could think about is how cool a 26-27 roadster looked on a 32 frame.

then a photo was posted on the traditional image without explanation thread that gave me a whole different look on the subject. 70-75 years ago, these guys weren't caught up on how cool things looked. they did stuff out of necessity.

these guys probably thought the quickest way to V8 power for their little roadster was pull the body from a V8 sedan and set the roadster body on. hotrods, the mother of invention.

FB_IMG_1644857391990.jpg

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

To build on your point, check out the “wrecker” in the background.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of guys considered the Deuce roadster to be too big. Heavier and pushed more wind.

40ragtopdown, Hnstray, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. silent rick

silent rick

first mock up. last night we got the last of the boxing plate fitted and tacked in to place. i'll post again when the hemi is trial fitted to get some weight on it

image0 (28) (1).jpeg

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just goes to show...
    Form follows function.
    Absolutely cool.

Hnstray, Stogy and silent rick like this.
  6. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

True but a lot were also nicely finished and painted. A lot of the old black and white photos make the cars look kind of rough simply because they're covered with dust. This picture of a hot full race DSCN1256 (8).JPG Merc powered 27 on a Deuce frame looks a little beat maybe but actually the trophy was for "the most beautiful roadster" in a New Mexico Timing Assoc. reliability run. The article also states that it was painted "a beautiful Chinese Red." My guess is the car your showing would look a lot different washed up.

7. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I like the door-mounted pressure pump (although I can't see the line).

jimgoetz and Stogy like this.
  8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I understood why they did it but never cared for the look.

Yep I'm one of those that don't like the model A bodies on 32 rails.

trevorsworth and 5window like this.
  9. rusty valley

rusty valley

I can't believe anyone is working on that car, there are no tools-parts-nuts and bolts or anything laying on the floor. Never looks like that on my projects !

10. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Rick;
    '27 roadster on 32 rails does look nice, esp w/the extended engine compartment area.
    Tom Senter wrote about this a long time ago. Pics in magazine(1001 Hot Rodding Ideas, iirc)- which did *not* include a happy-face. Almost-tall guys don't fit well in those things. Tall guys = worse. What a lot of folks miss is, that people were physically smaller then - both in stature *&* girth. Ya, me included. + a lot of these guys were younger, = more flexible than a lot of us. Yup, especially me included, again.
    Hope yours works out. It can be done, not easily if much comfort is desired. Kindly keep posting pics. TIA.

Rusty - apparently you don't have the Garage-fairies(little people). I know I don't, for sure. But then, I haven't baited my garage w/Irish whiskey as an incentive. I can hardly see my floor, much less the walls. Although I can see the ceiling... :D . & that garage is near to heaven!
    Marcus...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

I was just looking at that issue. BYW Scan-220217-0001.jpg , if you are 5'4" tall like I am, fitting in the car is not an issue!

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always liked the look of a 27 Roadster on Deuce rails. I've been wondering lately what a 27 Tub would look like set up that way.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  13. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I own this car today but the pump and any evidence of it were long gone by the time I found it. I know the gas tank was in the trunk, but he ran on alcohol with different intake set up when racing so maybe he had another small tank somewhere else.

14. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I too have been looking at your project Rick. Your not wrong but I can appreciate both looks upload_2022-2-18_9-3-12.png upload_2022-2-18_9-5-36.jpeg upload_2022-2-18_9-6-37.jpeg upload_2022-2-18_9-7-35.jpeg upload_2022-2-18_9-8-32.jpeg

Attached Files:

15. It's looking good Rick.

I thought it was going to get a Y block?

silent rick likes this.
  16. silent rick

silent rick

y block with 4-71 is going in the 27 T coupe

241 dodge hemi going in the roadster

pprather likes this.
  17. That is why I did a 32 style frame on my old touring. For scale I used 5" rails, sometimes actual 32 rails can look too chunky. Not @silent rick s car tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chryslerfan55 and silent rick like this.
  18. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

IMG_1F4E4CE7E25E-5.JPG Well, I too am just a little guy, IMG_1F4E4CE7E25E-5.JPG but I don't have much room for sure. My buddy who owns the 32 behind my 27 said if ever had to drive my car he would have to do it standing up.

19. The Deuce looks jumbo size behind the T.

jimgoetz and Tman like this.
  20. silent rick

silent rick

here's a photoshop the moose came up with for an idea i had before i purchased the roadster. i have the kelseys and veda caps. i have the red ram with chrome valve covers. i have an order in with gary for 10:1 pistons. my heads are done. i have a weiand 4x2 and 6x2 drag star intake and more than enough 97's . i haven't made up my mind on the hot rod flatz gold metallic yet. i chose this car based on the rake. does it belong to a hamber?

gold (2).jpg

21. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

The original photo before photoshop... upload_2022-2-18_16-58-20.jpeg

22. silent rick

silent rick

So maybe the hot rod flatz metallic gold isn't a good idea but if the previous owner hadn't started stripping the body, the entire car might look like the turtle deck

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Car looks good in gold, but I don't like flat colors. Lotsa deeeeep shine would make it look ooohh so much better. My opinion.
    Marcus...

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of the body to frame lines look, let’s just do it, with exception of the gray on with the flatbed and black steelies. There was way more work mounting that one.. nice. Too small for me at 6’-1”..

25. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s consistent with what my dad has told me. He said it was common to put an ‘A’ body on a ‘32 rolling chassis because the ‘A’ was lighter, and then you get the V8. It may also be that they were simply cheaper and could be put on a wrecked ‘32 (my speculation). My dad was involved in the drag racing scene at Santa Ana, etc. back in the day. I presume these types of things are what made the “ ‘A’ on ‘32 rails” so popular all along - not to mention the beauty of the ‘32 rails.

John

chryslerfan55 and pprather like this.
  26. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

The T before the photoshop job belonged to @Dennis Lacy . I think it's in Austarlia now. Killer car, he nailed it on that one.

27. I love the flat gold!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. A Boner

A Boner

The Deuce roadster does sort of look like a porker!
    4CD55795-340D-45CB-8F20-E6090307B3AC.jpeg

29. 27 with a Cord engine and speedboat windshield, Chevy or MOPAR chassis

[​IMG]

Lil'Alb and chryslerfan55 like this.