Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures More Cars Spotting on the Streets of L.A.!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

More Cars Spotting on the Streets of L.A.!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. egads

egads

This guy put's up some real cool video's. Watched some earlier this morning with my coffee.

Spooky likes this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Learned to drive in a Chevy pickup just like the one at 1:48. I really enjoy these clips, thanks:)

4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I think I spied a lowered 46-48 Ford headed in the opposite direction.:cool:
    Cool video.

Spooky likes this.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great video, I've never seen more bullet-nose Studes.

This guy must have been a pilot, practicing his airstrip centering on the white stripes. Starts before the 5 minute mark, and he's over the line as long as the car is in frame.

Center Line.JPG

6. jnaki

jnaki

Can anyone identify the little roadster parked across the street at 2:27?
    upload_2022-2-15_7-21-35.png upload_2022-2-15_7-21-49.png
    Hello,

These old films are cool in that they are so clear. The color needs a little adjusting and repeat street scenes need to be replaced with different areas. But the clarity is stupendous.

In answer to your question, I know for a fact that that roadster is an MG model. In 1952, when they came out to the general public, it was sporty, two seater, small, easy to park and who could complain about the great outdoors, other than girls/women with bandanas on their heads. An open sporty car just made everyone feel great.

My wife said that her dad got this wild hair in place and bought an MG two seat sports car during this time period. No questions for the family, it just rolled up into the driveway. 5 in the family was a problem. But, what person in their right mind would cram the two kids in the back area and one little boy on the floor in front of the passenger seat? I guess safety was not a factor for that family. At least they survived and they are around today as old grandparents.

Our dad also got the wild hair and he did not buy one to bring home. He asked our mom and the both of us if we liked an MG sports car. Of course, we had a 4 person family for a 2 person car.

It must have been something in the LA air that made our dads a little off for thinking about a large 4-5 person family in a two person car. Since my mom was adamant about the small size sporty car for two and getting her hair messed up in the blowing air. But, in the next several weeks, that sporty car was all our dad could think about.

Then one day he came home and asked if we did not like the MG, how about a Jaguar XK120? What? This one was larger, but still a two seater, with some extra space. It was a classy style with the hardtop, but the photos did not show two growing kids being crammed into any space available for drives to the beach or mountains. "Not going to work..." was our mom’s comment.

Jnaki

So, our dad came home with a new 4 door two tone Buick sedan. Just keeping his Buick buying streak alive.

Just by chance, I was watching a digital film that I was going to edit and out pops this MG drag racing car with Moon Discs sitting on a trailer at the Lion’s Dragstrip pits.
    upload_2022-2-15_7-26-24.png
    1959 Lion's Dragstrip pits...

P.S. What a cool way to start drag racing in the late night waiting for the "go" flag to pop up!!!
    upload_2022-2-15_7-35-25.png

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    Spooky, Rolleiflex, Christie and 2 others like this.
  7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I was just watching this one this morning, because I always look for the newest one, did you notice the date on this one Feb. 14 2022? new ones seem to get posted almost weekly. I wonder how many of these movies exist?

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Keep em' coming !

9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I saw Pat and Lulubell, did anybody else?

10. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

At around the 5:08 mark is a neat looking trailer sales.
    Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 8.14.43 AM.png
    And then around 5:58 is this Mercury that appears to be lowered with some kids cruising it.
    Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 8.15.28 AM.png
    I'm not a teetotaler but, the other thing that struck me was there's an unbelievable amount of liquor stores in this one stretch. Kind of nuts!

11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My wife and I have been on those two main streets from the time we were little kids. (Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset Blvd.) But, it was just a place to go with the family. In the 60s, it had some meaning as the scene on those two streets was a giant draw for teens/20 somethings to enjoy and wonder. It was full of action with hot rods and cruisers from all over making the weekend nightly runs from one end to the other. It was a So Cal thing for many generations of teenagers and 20 somethings.

The restaurants and theaters were destination places. Most of So Cal always had “Hollywood” and Los Angeles in their conversations for a place to go and hang out. First run movie theaters, rock music shows, low cost LP album record stores from the name brands to the small shops a little farther away from the main drag. It was a destination for us and a million other young folks.

Jnaki

Prior to the pandemic, our most recent drive was to get off of the freeway/surface streets and get on Sunset Blvd. for a road trip out West. Sunset Blvd goes from the Silver Lake area and then the freeway West to the ocean, ending up just North of Santa Monica. It is one great cruise for any kind of hot rod, or family station wagon. We knew where it would come out on the coast line and for us, a right turn on to PCH would take us along the beautiful coast to Santa Barbara.

The eventual destination coastal drive North or South on our road trip vacations.

This is what awaits you at the end of the inland Sunset Blvd drive from Los Angeles to the ocean and North. So, the super clear, old movie film has a great starting point to show what the L.A. region looked like a long time ago. But it still has the character and good vibes at the end of the cool road trip.

12. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

This was a treat, I followed along on google street view for a good bit of it.

13. And there in @Rolleiflex's post of the 5:08 point is an MG TD, far right. I enjoyed @jnaki's post about those cars, my stepdad DID bring one home in the early '60's. A 1953 TD, we used to make regular trips from Marin County up to Sacramento when I was a kid, my brother and I crammed in the little compartment in back. A family of 4 in a 2 seater...... safety ???
    I really dig these posts, keep them coming. How about what I think is a '40 Ford convertible with no hood, parked on the left at the 2:47 point.

Rolleiflex and jnaki like this.
  14. NoCoaster

NoCoaster
    from Omaha

This old footage is great, thanks for posting these. I used to watch videos like these trying to spot stand out cars. My dad grew up in LA in the 60s, so I would show them to him.

I remember seeing one video, maybe posted by this channel, maybe not. It was a while ago. LA mid/late 50s. There was a lowered, skirted and shaved shoebox Ford. Tried looking at a few, couldn't find it. Anyway, love that you posted this.

15. Rich1950

Rich1950

Compare roadsters at 2-27 and the MG at around 5-08.
    The earlier roadster seem to have an enclosed trunk, no exposed spare wheel.
    Could it be a Singer 4AB roadster?

16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dig wagons and that Plymouth woody 20 seconds in is cool! Shortly followed by a Plymouth Suburban headed the other way. Not as exciting as catching a hot rod or custom, but still fun spotting.

17. deucemac

deucemac

I thought it was Nelliebell!

18. Spooky

Spooky

19. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Lulubell, Nellybells sister.