Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake upgrade...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Hey guys, just wondering if and where I could find a bolt on "dual" master cylinder to fit the power brake booster on my '63 T Bird... 20211229_123409.jpg

2. If it's a 1 inch bore (I think it is) a '67 Mustang with 4 drum brakes should fit and work well.

3. Thanks, I will check in to that...

4. Just ordered a Mustang master cylinder. Will wait and see how it will work out...

5. I just checked my master cylinder listing. '63 Galaxie is a 1 inch bore. '63 Thunderbird is a 7/8 inch bore so the mustang cylinder will require a little bit more pedal effort.

Sorry for the bad information.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is good if the plunger rod has clearance.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too late to the party it appears but Ford went to dual master cylinders in 68 as did most other manufactures except a couple who did it a year or so earlier. Drum brakes were pretty well standard on all four corners until the early 70's.
    One thing to be sure and check and measure when you get the dual cylinder is the depth of the indent in the piston for the pushrod. That can be an issue when swapping master cylinders and some times is an issue because two different master cylinders were offered on the same year and model of rig.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may find that it collides with the diagonal brace between the firewall and shock tower.

How you handle that is up to you.

9. Manual brakes and no brake booster on a '63 Bird? Uh....N-O! '61-up all 'Birds had power brake boosters standard. The length of the push rod and adjustment are very critical for this era. Lots of info at www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net in their Forums sections.

jaracer and loudbang like this.
  10. That one bracket is always in the way in T-Bird dual master swaps. Some take them off, I've seen others modified. The T-Bird forums are a good source of information.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Those shock tower braces are important on a unit body car. They help absorb braking force as well as keep the towers from moving in or out. I've seen cars ran without them that the towers moved and made it difficult to keep it aligned. They don't have to be a straight line from the tower to the firewall even though that is the strongest route. On later model Mavericks with power brakes, Ford made a brace for that side that had a loop in it that fit around the master cylinder. Something like that wouldn't be too hard to whip up.

jimmy six, lowrd and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. Of course the T Bird has power brakes. My plan was to modify the shock tower brace, maybe make a set out of stainless tubing cut from a boat bow rail that I have, mounting it in parallel pairs with the curve up. I got the master cylinder that I ordered, but while scrutinizing the one on it, realized that it feeds three brake lines. Two to the front of the junction block and one out the side of the same block! What's that all about? 20220216_103313.jpg

13. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Maybe 1 line to the rear brakes where you have one flex hose and a tee on the axle, and 2 lines to the front brakes. Each to a flex hose. That fitting may not be original. Look at the M/C donor and see where the tees are in that application. Probably some kind of proportioning valve in the donor's system. Mike

14. This is the factory master cylinder on the T Bird. Near as I can tell, nothing has ever been changed on this car until I got my grubby hands on it...