Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Budget Low Rider

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driveway builder, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I went to a few of the bounce contests many years back, amazed me the front suspension could hold up to the abuse.

Driveway builder likes this.
  2. jim snow

jim snow

Nice job. Snowman ⛄️

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I don`t have shocks on the front as well. Usually drive with the front end up and the rear down. But not a major rake. It stabilizes the car when going around corners as well as less bounce in the front when hitting bumps. Drove it in about 4 inches of snow last year. Wife had surgery, was easier for her to get in and out of while having the car raised all the way up. Think of building your car in 60`s or 70`s style of a lowrider. That would set the car apart from the others being built. That`s what I was after.

guthriesmith, Sancho, Dan Hay and 5 others like this.
  4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see a lowrider thread on the Hamb , way cool! You did a great job on the repairs , I bet you get a lot of smiles per gallon, haha. I have a 62 Impala, got it in 96 or 97 with a little under 16k original miles , but I never could bring myself to cut it up and alter it for hydraulics. Back than I thought it was a 116k miles car, but after a while I had the 283 apart for fresh gaskets and the bores were as nice as on day 1 and all the date codes and stamped numbers matched the car... I still woul love to have a lolo 61 Chevy some day.. Have fun, I´ll be watching!
    The black 4dr hdtp is my buddies´ IMG_2480.JPG CBQY3439.jpg

5. Great build thread…saving one from the scraper and turning into a cool daily driver that can bounce! I certainly could have some fun dropping my girls off at school in that ride.

6. Tricky53

Tricky53
    from Bend, OR

Rad car! Keeping the classics alive! Nice work

7. Love it that you are out daily driving the car. Also saving it from whatever fate it was destined for.

8. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Nope… got about 6 inches here. Hit the switches to knock the snow off. Lol 491F4155-A590-453B-9B78-9B6EABEFCCBF.jpeg

scotty t, Moondog13, indyjps and 19 others like this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There you go. Hilarious.

"Oh, I got some snow on me."
    Knock it off. BAM BAM.
    You didn't get it all. Do it again.
    BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM

Awesomely appropriate and the very best thread for this time of year. Thank you, DB. :)
    Thank you for thumbing your nose at the crappy winter weather for the rest of us... in the best possible way. LOL

10. I love that someone is having fun with an old car!! Excellent.

Just Gary, Baumi and Driveway builder like this.
  11. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Thanks! Yeah, I never got why guys just park their cars in late fall and don’t drive them till spring out here. If they salt the roads, I just stay off them for a week or usually we get a warmer day with rain to rinse them off. Then back to it I go… these old cars love the cold weather. Just have to give them a few minutes to warm up. I try to drive them as much as possible.

12. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

I really appreciate the roll up sleeves, get 'er done approach. Had to laugh at that snow rider - Freakin awesome. I gotta bum a ride in a lowrider one day.

13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I suppose the technically correct way would be somehow to rig the damper to exclude the cylinder and act on the coil only, i.e. be mounted between the control arm and the cylinder-to-coil coupling, though I'd expect packaging that in the available space would be difficult. The problem is that the damper works against the hydraulics, and minimizing that compromises the choice of damper, especially as the short, stiff remaining coils really need rather severe damping. How about, for the front at least, a bell crank arrangement acting on a monotube damper mounted horizontally on the lower control arm? But this is idle speculation.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of the setups that I have seen, save for one, which is short travel, had the damper on only the spring.

Unless you are planning on hopping the coils need not be alarmingly stiff, or overly short.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Shows what I know! :D

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not you.

There are plenty of folks here who build lowriders here in lowrider central, who believe that they can only be built one way, and must ride poorly, because that's traditional.

Tman, chryslerfan55 and Ned Ludd like this.
  17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think this thread is fucking awesome.

Budget car that still looks good, solid driveway body work, driving it and not babying it... all hallmarks of the old HAMB.

Did you wind up having to do any other stuff to the car to get it running reliably enough for daily duty?

scotty t, Squablow, Tman and 3 others like this.
  18. AmishMike

AmishMike

Love it!!! Rusty east coast shit box to beat on & have a lot of fun with. Cars are to have fun with not ride around in trailers. Never done one on bags, next step. Son has 64 convert with patina fixed interior 454 with TBI & auto. Bugging him to bag. Winter here in calif love low riders & awesome paint but got drive & beat on them. Usually use up pickups & Jeep’s to raise hell & have fun. Where u in pa?

19. HerMink

HerMink

Dude, so awesome.

20. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Thanks! I didn’t do too much motor wise… she’s just a straight 6 and 3 on the tree. New bolt ons like alternator, water pump, rad, new carb, belts, hoses, and of course a good tune up. I was planning on throwing in a small block but was told I won’t be able to park it on 3 wheels with the weight of the V8. So, for now I’m just “rolling in my Six-Foe”… really slow. Lol

21. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

45 minutes Outside of Philly…. Limerick Pa

AmishMike and Ford52PU like this.
  22. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Limerick, pre Covid my wife loved that outlet center.
    I'm in Coatesville. Nice Impala, really love the Rambler, Dad had a 65 660 Wagon pulled the old Nimrod pop up trailer up and down the east coast in the 60's and early 70's

23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Same, been to that outlet many times. Always knew it by the cooling towers. I have a few close friends in Phoenixville, too. Nice areas.

24. cal1320

cal1320
    from Florida

For a 7K investment, I'd drive the crap out of it and always park it on 3.

57 Fargo and guthriesmith like this.
  25. Straight 6 is a smooth running engine, no ride like a low ride!
    There's a 64 ish Biscayne (2 tail lights each side) 4 door in the weeds near me. I want it even more now, never see anyone around to ask. It was more visible a few seasons ago.

26. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Nice!!! If I put the V8 in I’ll need a third pump to keep it up. Maybe in the future… I have fast cars, I actually kinda like that slow ass 6. Keeps me out of trouble. Haha

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2022
  27. Hmmm….I have a 61 that needs a drivetrain and hydraulics now.

Driveway builder and chevy57dude like this.
  28. indyjps

indyjps

29. Best statement of the YEAR about the board.

Squablow, Moondog13, Shalamo and 2 others like this.