Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What's the most "Over the top" car you ever owned?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Jan 11, 2022.

1. indyjps

indyjps

"Mud truck" 1 ton axles, basically a circle track small block, schoenfeld headers out the hood, beat up chevy 3/4 ton. Just kept welding stuff together as we destroyed it. Got old quick - I'll stay on the pavement.

A week or two of work and spending money, for 20 minutes of fun. Kinda like dating.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This isn’t over the top as far as power but the looks I get when I’m on the road is priceless. 527BB5D1-713E-4DD5-B819-096A5A5D9D21.jpeg 158D219E-F1ED-4887-8E22-0300AB601C7C.jpeg

Deuces, hotrodjack33, prpmmp and 10 others like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had numerous over-the-top vehicles, both quick and fast, but none are welcome here.

My only over-the-top vaguely HAMB-friendly vehicle will be my mid-engine blown Chrysler Hemi powered, mid-engine 1929 Model A closed cab pickup.

It has a quick change rear end, so it should be both quick, and fast.

It won't get a build thread, due to the non-standard engine location, and the absence of a front axle.

Just Gary, Shadow Creek and loudbang like this.
  4. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

I've got a Kellison J-5 in the back of the shed. Never driven but I own it. Doe that count?

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When my brother and I built our first 6 Stromberg carburetor powered 283 SBC motor, it was a good motor for the street. It started up right away, ran like a top and when we went out to test drive it around our own neighborhood, it acted like a normal powerful, modified 283 SBC. When we drove it a longer distance to our familiar Bixby Knolls areas, it was a great street legal hot rod. The only thing we had to worry about was the gas in the 2.5 gallon Moon Tank sitting in front of the passenger seat.
    upload_2022-2-13_4-48-22.png The 283/Stromberg powered SBC motor was in our modified 1940 Willys street legal, gas coupe.

By the end of the evening, we estimated that we could go 12 miles on a full tank, so stops were frequent. Now, other than the small gas tank, it ran well, did not overheat and had the power necessary to get up and go down the Cherry Avenue Drags location. The lights worked well, the muffler was sounding legal and powerful at the same time.

This was our first build of the 1940 Willys Coupe and it was a fun project. The later runs at Lion’s Dragstrip in the B/Gas class were impressive for our first time build. It was a true, street legal build that could cruise or win in the Gas Coupe/Sedan Classes at Lion’s Dragstrip. If we decided to make it a full daily driver/street hot rod, the stock gas tank was cleaned and sitting empty in the original location. That was an option for later.

Jnaki

But, as the months flew by and we did well, improving our times each week at Lion’s Dragstrip. My brother was getting antsy about going faster with what we had built. So, his new idea was to increase the size of the 283 and since we just got a new Isky Gilmer 671 Blower Drive Kit from our friend in Los Angeles, it was time to rebuild the 283 with blower spec parts and do what our budget allowed.
    upload_2022-2-13_4-52-35.png
    So, a complete tear down and rebuilding up to a 292 c.i. SBC motor with all new parts specifically made for a 671 supercharged motor. It took awhile to get the parts put together and it was many late hours in our backyard garage. My brother was very particular about putting everything together with double checking every nut and bolt as required for the powerful build.
    upload_2022-2-13_4-53-40.png
    The initial start up was surprising for us. The 292 SBC 671 motor sounded so powerful even through the same mufflers, that our little toddler, next door neighbor who always watched us doing our backyard hot rod builds, ran for cover when it started up. The sound scared her to no end.

When my brother backed up out of the narrow driveway, we both felt some accomplishment. It was months of hard precision work and many tired days dropping off to “dreamsville” in our school classes.

But, when my brother straightened out the Willys Coupe facing down an empty street, we ran it for several blocks to check everything out. Then he looked over and said it was time to stomp on the Moon Gas Pedal to see what it could do.

Boy, it was a sound deafening, full on acceleration that both of us had not felt and it was a good feeling. In the coming weeks, we were classified in the B/Gas class and did some fast runs to get the feel of what we had to do to be consistent. On a whim, we took the 671 powered 292 SBC blower spec powered Willys Coupe to our local drive-in restaurant parking lot. It was an impressive drive stopping at lights and then accelerating forward.

This time the gas usage was less than before and we had to be doubly cautious, all during our hot rod cruise. My brother knew it was street legal, but it was pushing the limits of being a daily driver, the way it was set up. Street legal by the drag racing rules, but not your normal daily driver to high school and the cruising around on the weekends. It was a street legal race car built to go fast and quick.

It was a little over the top for the daily drive to our local high school. So, it chased the National Record in C/Gas at the drags and came so close… if it was over the top with our current set up, it would have been a whole different ballgame when the next level Gas Coupe rules allowed for fuel injection and wide M&H slicks.

It was no longer a daily driver. Street legal, as per drag racing class rules, yes, but daily driver, NO… It was too, over the top for a normal teenager's daily hot rod.
    upload_2022-2-13_4-56-16.png

hotrodjack33 and prpmmp like this.
  6. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Built this a few years back, incredible amounts of over the top fab work in it. Got it all done and it was a bit much for the street. Currently is out in Washington state being drag raced regularly by a guy who has a funny car team. Glad its in good hands. DQJR8297.JPG FBOU4047.JPG IMG_1190.jpg 4.png

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I got the urge about 7-8 yrs. ago to build something barely street worthy, and obnoxious enough people in their Prius would give me dirty looks when I pulled up next to them belching gas fumes. A neighbor brought home a '63 Falcon when he lost his 20 yr. storage, and I bought it for $500.
    I ended up building a .040" over 454 for it, with Edelbrock heads, a huge Comp cam, Weiand tunnel ram with twin 600 cfm Holley carbs, Super T10 four speed, 8.8" Ford rear axle, and a complete boxed from under it from rear axle to frame horns. Also a 6 point cage, with firewall braces to strengthen it all to handle the BBC engine and hard launches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was fun for the first couple years, but it's limited street manners, and horrible gas mileage made me tire of it, and want to build something I could drive a lot more. So it went away after about 5 yrs.

Rolleiflex, Just Gary, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  8. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

9. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Some very cool rides guys!

10. HAD THESE GEMS TOO! 39 Ford tub and 37 Cord 812 reflection in the tub
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    Deuces likes this.
  11. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My high school ride was a '67 Chevelle SS with a tunnel-rammed 427, Muncie and a 4.11 12 bolt rear. It had a vertical gate shifter, making it a real pain to row through traffic. But it was loud, cool and fast! Roll bar and no back seat...