Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1666.jpg
    It's been nice out here, so I've been driving as often as I can. Nothing quite like sunset and a roadster.

2. Sorry, that tire is screwed.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and probably the best way to remove it too...

Tube patch and plug @J.Ukrop?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Atwater Mike, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  4. It was a pleasure meeting you Joey here in So Cal. The show was amazing and the people really made it special. Thanks to the forum for making our world a smaller place.

If you haven't met Joey in person, he's the real deal and emulates what this hobby is all about!! Can't wait to see his next version of his roadster.

The HAMB rocks!!

5. trad27

trad27

I’ve been silently following this thread for awhile, Just wanted to say love the direction this is going. Keep the updates coming.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Think of all of the air families that have suffered devastating loss as family members were suddenly sucked from the wild by a noisy compressor and eventually imprisoned inside a tire to be confined at great pressure and sent at dizzying speed to places they never wanted to go. It must be wonderful to be somehow freed, even in a strange place possibly hundreds or even thousands of miles from home. Things are not always what they seem.:cool:

Stogy, J.Ukrop and WalkerMD like this.
  7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You're too cool! Looking forward to hanging out again soon.

Thank you for following along. It's been a heck of a journey, and we have some big things on the horizon.

That's one way to look at it!

catdad49, Six Ball, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1783.jpg
    Special late lunch update! I just got a text from Ben that the quickchange has landed in Texas. He's going to tear down the banjo and keep me posted on the build. To say I'm super excited is a huge understatement.

9. RodStRace

RodStRace

Gotta update that signature (Wanted 32 radiator) unless you want a ready to go version!:)
    Hope the top goes well, make sure to check for slop in the pivots and get them worked in a press if needed before adding additional parts.

10. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Just curious why sealed bearings are used. I would think open bearings would be fitted, and they would be lubed by the gear oil splash.
    But I am not a quick change expert.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  11. 28rpu

28rpu

It's easy to pull the seals out of the bearings if desired.

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

D49AE57D-D406-4FE6-BF47-6F7CDC452C4C.jpeg
    Full replies tomorrow. Here’s an outtake from tonight’s trip to Ocean Beach.

Baumi, Joe Blow, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I've been talking to my friends at Johnson's (formerly Walker) and they say '32 flathead V8 radiators will be going into production this year. My plan is to use the current one for mockup as I save up for the big dawg.
    IMG_0447.jpg
    Back when I made the cross-country trek with TRJ in 2019, I was surprised to find Walker Radiator within a hundred yards of the world-famous SUN studio in downtown Memphis. Walker's neon sign is incredible.

Great advice on the top. Nick tuned them up, but I will triple check everything!

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Other than getting a whole lot of parts big and small, I don't have too much to report on the car. I just got my tire tubes and kingpins from Speedway, and I also received a set of Beanie caps from @IronTrap Matt.

Right now, my plan is to work with di Falco on Saturday. I'm excited to head up north and make some big progress and, more importantly, have some fun.

Speaking of progress, I'm now on week six of welding. Tomorrow's Jalopy Journal column covers my intro to gas welding. I'll put a link to it once it goes live tomorrow morning. Spoiler alert: it features my car.
    4M5A0022.JPG

JalopyJimbo, Joe Blow, Stogy and 12 others like this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

One of the first things I did after I retired was to sign up for the welding courses at the local college, time well spent. Hope you're enjoying the learning experience!

Stogy, J.Ukrop, enloe and 3 others like this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Keep going Kid......

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As promised, here's the link to my welding article: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=50591

Lots of updates from di Falco's in Petaluma, but those will have to wait until tomorrow.
    IMG_1853.JPG I need to get some rest before the Ocean Beach car show in the morning. If you're in the area, please swing by and say hi! I'll be there from 8-10 or so.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this. Let's jump right back in. First, we have a shot of my two new hubcaps. I think they picked up a few more dents while hauling them up north, but I think they'll be a perfect fit for the next version of this car.
    IMG_1834.jpg
    Then, on Saturday morning, I made the drive north for my favorite time of the week. Up in Petaluma, the sun was out. When I saw that channeled yellow Model A, I knew we were in for a good day.
    66698783268__CDFB2406-C193-4509-A956-53C3A601D890.jpg
    Right now, we're waiting on a a loaner 1940 Ford rear so that we can mock up the wheelbase. In the meantime, we deiced it was the perfect opportunity to fill a bunch of holes in the frame. Although the frame is incredibly clean, it has seen quite a few miles and modifications in the past 90 years.
    IMG_1838.jpg
    Out in the driveway, I used a hammer and dolly to straighten the bottom of the frame. A few good hits helped clean things up. Once I was finished with that, David suggested I use what I've been learning in class and weld the holes up. Even though we haven't reached that point in the semester, I didn't hesitate. He showed me how to read the metal gauge chart, establish a ground, turn on the gas and get welding.
    IMG_1839.jpg
    We used an aluminum backing to keep the back side of the weld relatively flat. They'll still get cleaned up before we get too much further.
    IMG_1844.jpg
    As I welded away, we had a handful of visitors—including @Jeff34 and his Model A roadster! He recently swapped on the '35 Ford wires and Blockley tires and his car is looking excellent. He said his wife wants it as her daily. What could be better than that? Always great catching up!
    IMG_1841.jpg
    Other visitors included our good friend Sonny and his Servi-Car...
    IMG_1847.jpg
    And one of his friends on this immaculate 1947 Knucklehead.
    IMG_1850.jpg

19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_1853-1.jpg
    Although it may not look like much, I feel like we had a very productive day. I filled close to a dozen holes, and David helped me weld in parts of the K-member where the rivets had been removed. Most importantly, I got to work on my MIG welding and spend time with old friends. Oh, and I also dropped off a literal truckload worth of parts. That was huge!
    IMG_1852.jpg
    This Saturday, I'll be doing a whole lot of grinding. We'll also be notching the frame for front axle clearance and possibly assembling the front end. Little by little, we're getting there!

20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The following morning, I rolled out early to the Ocean Beach car show. This monthly meetup draws hot rods, customs and classics from around the region to the Great Highway. Whenever I'm in town, I make an effort to go. How could I not?

It's been particularly cold here as of late, but that didn't seem to stop anyone. This month's show was the biggest I had ever been to. I had the best time cruising there in my car and catching up with friends, some of which I hadn't seen in over a year. It's a big boost when people appreciate your project, that's for sure.
    IMG_1937.jpg Event organizer Tony caught me cruising in.
    IMG_1927.jpg
    It's always refreshing hanging out with Erik Jutras, who some of you may know for his incredible coverage of The Race of Gentlemen. He snapped this shot of me and my machine at the beach. We're planning a more in-depth photo shoot in the not-so-distant future. As you can see, I'm lucky I found a place to park.

Folks asked, “Were you racing on the beach earlier?!” I’ll take that as a compliment!
    IMG_1878.JPG
    Once again, I was guilty of doing too much relaxing and not taking enough photos. I did like this '58.
    IMG_1877.jpg
    As well as this Ford Customline. IMG_1856.JPG
    The fan favorite, however, was @SAVAGE's Cad-powered 1934 Ford.
    IMG_1882.JPG

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As much fun as the show may have been, the drive back may have been the highlight. Me, Aaron and his girlfriend Dorothy cruised back to my place along Fulton and through the Richmond. This was the first time I've driven alongside another hot rod in San Francisco. It was pretty surreal to hear another flathead rumbling behind me at a stop sign. IMG_1883.jpg
    Mirror needs cleaned.
    IMG_1886.jpg
    Back on Loyola Terrace, we had an impromptu car show. I'm thinking we should get about four more, throw in a couple choppers and then really have ourselves a party.
    IMG_1889.jpg
    Never did I think that I would see two traditional early Ford hot rods on the cul de sac. Coupe, roadster, flatheads—it doesn't get much better than that!

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Odds n' Ends

- The other day, Ben let me know that my banjo has been disassembled and he's ordering hardware. He says he'll have it finished up in the next month or so. I love hearing updates on the quickchange project!
    - Tonight is Week 6 of welding class. I think we're going to have an introduction to stick welding. Or possibly MIG? Either way, I'm sure it will be a ton of fun.

23. Nobey

Nobey

That Cad engine looks right at home in that 34 coupe, and those front tires sure have a vintage look. That coupe is perfect.....

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I fully support a cul-de-sac full of hotrods and choppers!

Outback, Budget36, enloe and 3 others like this.
  25. 97

Have you forgotten the "Cacklefest in the Cul-de-sac" posts from March 21? (Post#901) A few more cars and the dead end kids ...maybe next year?

Outback and Six Ball like this.
  26. Joey, I am glad to see that you are having a great time with your roadster. When I lived in San Francisco, 1956-1958, The Great Highway was where we drag raced, just south of Playland at the Beach. Playland is gone now, it looks like condo's, or apartments are there now. Enjoy your life, you only get to do it once.

27. tofords

tofords

What are the beanie caps you are lookin for? Are they like baby moons but taller?

28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Right?! Aaron has things figured out. Every one of his cars is spot-on.

I hear you there!

Glad to have you back, @97! I was talking to my roommates and I'm considering putting together a little event for my birthday in May. That could be a whole lot of fun.

From what I can see in old pictures, Playland was once quite the spot. Inside the Balboa Theatre, they have a tribute to the park, complete with a handful of artifacts. I can only imagine the sounds of the drags out on the Great Highway.

I always appreciate hearing your memories of San Francisco during its Golden Age.

Outback, enloe, Big mike 1968 and 3 others like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Rockin Ryan Rollei.jpg
    Nothing major to report, but my friend Ryan Richardson sent over this shot that he took at the beach with his 1949 Rolleiflex. More updates happening soon!

Outback, patmanta, chriseakin and 8 others like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

J.Ukrop likes this.