Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '29 Roadster Authentic Prewar Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jadz928, Jan 11, 2020.

1. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
    The father & son aspect is what makes this project so special. Especially right now as Dad is not feeling well.

Cliff, thanks for checking back in.
    I can't wait to see it with the top back on too. It's really the best modified feature of the car.

Primary electrics are done. Will finish secondary when we get it back from the upholstery shop.

Not much to see here as it pretty much looks like it did before.
    0510211804_HDR.jpg 0510211804a_HDR.jpg

Stogy, Cliff Ramsdell and loudbang like this.
  2. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

My Dad, Herb, passed away peacefully today. He had his 74th birthday last Sunday.
    He remained very engaged in this Roadster throughout, including requesting updates during his ill period. He especially loved the story of this car.

He really appreciated the phrase 'Hop Up' and thought it was the most fitting description for this old Ford. He'd learned of the phrase thru you all in this thread, and often checked in on all your comments. He liked your words very much.

Also, he enjoyed regularly perusing the H.A.M.B. classifieds. He was 'old school' in the truest sense, but really liked scouring choice items offered here. He didn't know how to email, so I purchased many things here on his behalf. He would say, 'Jim, go check out that '31 slant cab on Jalopy'. or 'there's another black full-fendered, take a look and let me know what you think'.

I can't even tell you how thrilled he was when he found this old Roadster. And when he won the auction for it is a memory I will cherish. After he won, I think he said something like 'hot diggity dog'! haha. What a hoot of a night!

And this is saying something. He's had some pretty nice old gear in his day... '31 Deluxe Roadster, A-400, '32 3-window, to name a few. I think the '34 Deluxe Sedan was his favorite... A low-mile survivor, black lacquer paint (he always liked Fords in black), and beige mohair interior. Here's a photo from '79...

A man and his car, a father and his son. I will miss you Pops! See you when I get there.
    dad-jim-34-ford-1979.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to you, the family and friends in your loss of your Dad...far to young...same age as my dad when he left terra...may he Rest in Peace...yeah he certainly had fun around the old cars...and gave you a love of vintage cars that we sure are happy you're sharing...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry to hear about your dad passing. May he RIP.

brady1929, lurker mick, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gosh. :(

I am at once sad for the loss of your father, and enamored by his love for the old cars, and for this latest acquisition and that he seemed to like us and our way of speaking. Our kind of people to the very utmost. Thank you for bringing him around.

Everybody raise your glasses...
    To Herb...
    "HOT DIGGITY DOG!"

6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    Sorry for the loss of your dad. A man who enjoys the things with his kids and stays involved with them their life through is truly a man to respect on many levels.

I’m glad for you and that you two got to enjoy your projects together. God speed Herb.

Cliff Ramsdell

7. Oh no! So very sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing.
    May God comfort you and fill the emptiness in your heart.
    Cherish the many and rich memories you have of him.
    And thank you for sharing him with us.

8. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Thank you all for the sympathy and kind words.

My Dad never wanted much fuss about him, and he would suggest I get back to the business of life. So today I was back to working on cars!

And this project will continue as well, with the goal to have it ready for my wedding reception in June. I wish he could've been there, but am happy he saw us married last year.

I'll leave with one of my Mom's favorite photos of Dad. His best over-alls, new jacket, and the sweet look of his Mom.
    And a fresh 'barn find' Roadster... the day it came home and he was smiling. Good stuff.
    Dad-4_1.jpg

For more on a great guy, here's Herb's obituary:
    https://www.wswfh.com/obituaries/Herbert-Anthony-Doerr--Jr?obId=24009944#/obituaryInfo

hotrodfil, winduptoy, Lil'Alb and 9 others like this.
  9. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Went and checked out the finished interior today. Very happy with how it turned out!
    Mom said, 'Herb would be very pleased'. Couldn't agree more. Gary did a great job.
    IMG_20220307_132311538_1.jpg

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@jadz928, it's certainly a moving time for you and the family...the Spirit in this Hop Up will make every cruise that much more personal...thanks for sharing the moving memorial to your Father...I'm glad he got to experience this wonderful place, to hang out a bit, see some neat things, interact with many of us and wrench with you on that stunning blast from the past...Have fun with it Bigtime...I'm sure Mom is going to be sharing time with you in it as well, her smile resonating the power of that Spirit...looking forward to the evolving journey that makes this place what it is...;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  11. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Couple followup pics...
    IMG_20220307_133509873_1.jpg IMG_20220307_133534838_1.jpg

Michigan Spring is shaping up! Looking forward to getting the old girl out for a spin around the neighborhood.

12. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Glad to have the old girl back at the farm again! Bittersweet certainly.
    IMG_20220316_162251365.jpg

Beautiful day today, shop doors wide open. Worked on warm idle tuning... purrs and lumps just right. Need to work on off-idle backfire... Pop pop, rich. Thinking jet too large in 'B' carb.
    IMG_20220316_142716669_1.jpg IMG_20220316_142819257_1.jpg

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the Special Hop Up off the Showroom Floor...Well deserved smile...wowie...Nice Country too...Green Acres spring is inching in here...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    loudbang, brady1929 and jadz928 like this.
  14. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Dad really wanted to do the interior, primarily for asthetic reasons.
    I knew a properly fitted seat was needed to allow a more functional driving car. I wanted him to be able to fit well, under the chopped top, and be able to drive.
    At the end of the day, I think 'it really tied the room together' ;)
    c5c103128da2f22eaf4c454c03b8adcf.jpg

Stogy, hotrodfil, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  15. 100% Matt

100% Matt

My condolences to you and your family. I've been following this thread. Love your roadster!

16. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Yes, condolences on your dad's passing. I'm really touched by the joy you both shared fixing up this well preserved old rod. Everything you've tastefully done to it has been and enhancement and will serve to help it survive the next 90 years hopefully.

Stogy, jadz928 and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  17. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Thanks @Lil'Alb, and for the bump as well.

Still an active project (aren't they all?). However, my spare time has went into putting together our family's farm history for the Michigan Historical Society. Recently, we were designated a Centennial Farm! Actually, 148 years. Herb would've been pleased.

I plan to work on the old girl through Winter. I still need to get it running better - re-torque the heads after heat cycle, re-adjust valve lash, re-check all intake/exhaust bolts and gaskets, and then go after carb float and jetting if needed. Beyond that, will move into finishing the wiring.

Sure would be nice to have her on the road next Spring!

Cliff Ramsdell and Stogy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why are Bttts so awesome?...Because I get to see stellar content again...what a cool Hotrod...you're surrounded by History and fresh air...doesn't get much better than that @jadz928...;)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    jadz928 likes this.
  19. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Glad your dad had one last car that brought him joy... and best yet yall got to share it together. Cool car for sure, very well done.

jadz928 likes this.