Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What to do with THIS...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the neighbor, Feb 10, 2022.

Tags:
?
  1. Hang it back on the wall

27.3%
  2. cut it up and use it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. try to find the one-in-a-million Toyota stovebolt hotrodder

72.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. A number of years ago, I picked up an Offy twin-carb intake out of a scrap pile for a few bucks... seeing it had the machined-for-rings feature, I assumed it was for Stovebolt 6. After it hung on my wall for a few years, I lined it up with the Offy I had for my 261. NOT for Chevies. I then called a sales rep, gave him the Number, and BAM. I've got a twin-carb intake for a "metric-ized" Toyota Stovebolt clone. I've knocked around the 'net, trying to find anyone who could use it.... NOT a popular model. SO, should I cut it up, and make it fit Chev? I see what they go for today, and it makes me glad I bought my other setup decades ago. I would love to use this thing, but I don't want to hotrod a Toyota to do so... its only IMG_4690 (2) (Large).JPG IMG_4691.JPG about 1/2" longer than the Chev. Would probly have to machine new sealing rings to adapt...

2. Thats maybe for an early L**d Cr**ser, might try selling it on one of their forums. Mitch

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    gimpyshotrods and AccurateMike like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

It's a GMC - fits 228-236-248-256-270

Hmmmm. Sure looked like one ...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  5. squirrel

squirrel

5588 is for a toyopet. Not a jimmy

toy.jpg

alanp561 and hrm2k like this.
  6. scotts52

scotts52

List it on the bay and Toyota sites. Give it a couple months. If no takers, start whittling away.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yep I agree. Put it up for sale, let someone have a chance at actually using it.

. Rather see this kind of stuff being used then collecting dust somewhere.

Most of us have enough dust collectors hanging around already! Lol

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to go along with list it on Ebay and put it on FB marketplace with the info gleaned from the Ebay add that Squirrel posted the link to.
    A good clear photo of the 5588 casting number and a copy of the page out of the OFFY catalog go a long way too. Detailed info brings a sale on something like this. Plus give it a bath as just came out of the shed dirt doesn't add value in this case but cleaned up a bit and looking presentable does. A couple of minutes scrubbing with Dawn dish liquid and a bit of wire brush work on the studs is probably worth a minimum of 50 bucks when the bidding starts.

38Chevy454, kadillackid and Algoma56 like this.
  9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ill take it....actually it looks easy to shorten at one end..of course in a jig to keep mounting surfaces in alignment...looks really cool....

10. Squablow

Squablow

No way I'd cut it up to make it fit a Chevy, those intakes are pretty common. Guys who collect the vehicles that this intake fits, which are quite valuable these days, would pay a very pretty penny to have that, and it'd be a shame to modify what is a very rare piece of vintage speed equipment, even if it doesn't fit any of the things we work on here.

Bob Lowry, ClarkH, LWEL9226 and 6 others like this.
  11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with Squablow--someone wants that piece

12. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Good wall art! Don't cut it up!

13. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Let's delete this thread before all those land cruiser owners buy up all the chevy manifolds to chop up

14. SR100

SR100

Not sure I'd use the catalog page pic, it looks like the Offy catalog used the image for the Chev manifold.
    It'd need two cuts. The two manifolds are lined up on the left branch and the gap is wider on the right branch than it is at the center. As has been mentioned, it probably isn't worth doing.

15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

It's worth loot, having done a couple FJ's
    An the Money they are bringing... Sell!

47chevycoupe likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ever see what they get on BJ and Mecum for those POS. Add the intake and it would be a Resto-Mod at double the price.

RICH B likes this.
  17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I sense a bit of prejudice in the air here.:D

the neighbor and Squablow like this.
  18. I agree, that should be sold for cash to a person with the engine that fits - which by the way are becoming very high priced. So flip that part into some cash to buy parts that you need.

G-son likes this.
  19. spudshaft

spudshaft

There is probably a Toyota person out there looking for that- you just have to find him.