Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod terms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phat rat, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has filled wheelwells too...:eek:...looks like gall dang fibberglass...not some old race mod...note....I'm joking I like filled wells...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    chevy57dude likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'Ole Timey'

chevy57dude likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shitbox...betcha that's been tossed around into the Hotrod dictionary for ever...

chevy57dude and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One wheeler peeler...:D

Hammered...

Pedal to the metal...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    chevy57dude and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We all got caught learning those slang words while growing up. It must be a local issue, as some items we Westcoast kids never heard of or saw. Someone’s idea of a colloquial slang item, now was used as a permanent word. Whether or not they were actually real or not. Something was missing in the section “J.”
    upload_2022-2-8_4-13-15.png

One word we heard was a chrome "Johnson Rod.” We all chuckled at that one. We had no idea what it was, as it was not for sale at Pep Boys or even Dave’s House of Chrome. So, to be a part of the “boys,” we all laughed and got on with our lives.

Jnaki

An imaginary part of a car engine that caused the problem with the function. Or as your teenage friend or older 20 something person would say in the late hours of the night… their own definition as per area or locale.
    upload_2022-2-8_4-52-13.png
    Yet, one of the most famous cruiser/hot rod words/slogan was also not printed in the “S” section of the book. “Submarine Races…” The term goes hand in hand with the chrome “Johnson Rod…” YRMV

Stogy likes this.
  6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

One missed in the G section is Gow Job.

Stogy likes this.
  7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

There was an old guy with a long grey beard down the road from me that used to refer to my 32 Roadster as a "bug".

Stogy likes this.
  8. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

In American Graffiti when Toad was driving the 58 and picked up the blonde, she told him to "peel out".

chevy57dude and Stogy like this.
  9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I still get a kick out of the term "3/4 RACE" cam. It is such an ambiguous term. But when I put a six-banger in my RPU it just had to say "3/4 RACE" on the valve cover.
    Get it? - six cylinders - 3/4 of a V8!
    I thought the etymology of the word "Nurd" started with the backwards spelling of the word "Drunk", or "Knurd".
    The opposite of a drunk was a knurd. Later morphed into "nerd".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    chevy57dude likes this.
  10. speedshifter

speedshifter

Did your cool rod have a stick shift, 3 on the tree, or a shush pump? Was it nosed and decked & leaded in? You a least had twin pipes on it. Did the twin pipes have Hollywood mufflers? Did you ever squeal out or scratch off? It surely did not have mud flaps. Fun times. Greg

Stogy likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing is “back in the day” for me…I was lucky enough to have lived a lot of it.

loudbang likes this.
  12. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Guy back in school days would holler at the ones leaving school,"make her dig". Also the term chevy chort.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember one of the first times reading Rod & Custom magazine and the very first time I read the term "split wishbone". What??? Intense research ensued.
    AHAH!!!

14. 57Fury440

57Fury440

What about "fish tailing". I think a lot of the old hot rod terms had to do with where you were from.

i.rant and loudbang like this.
  15. Rand Man

Rand Man

Ever hear of “rat racing”? We used to tear up the streets in my small home town in Missouri, down the road from MO-KAN dragway. There weren’t really any rules. One car would chase another car all over town, mostly in residential neighborhoods, about as fast as we could go. Thinking back, I’m very surprised we never got caught and nobody got ran over. One of my friends wrecked a really nice’65 Chevy, and the fad kinda died out, at least locally.

16. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Yep well rat racing had a beer bottle thrown at my car. Stupid ol man

17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Now I know that a Chevy V8 engine is known as a "Shillelagh".