Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tri-Five Chevy Front Lift Kit- Information needed!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jan 20, 2022.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Guys, I bought this lift kit from someone on here from the Carthage Missouri area that was making them. The kit is a copy of an old one made years ago that gave you 4-6" of lift of front end lift without the rough ride of 409 springs up front.

I am ready to finally install the kit so I am looking for direction/instructions as I got none with the kit and hate trial and error if I can avoid it LOL!!

Anyone install one of these and can tell where the parts fit?

Maybe share some pictures that would help with the install?

The Aluminum Spring Cups go in the lower A-Arm or Upper? If you look at the pictures they are angled on one end.

The Ball joint extenders I assume go from the upper ball joint mount to the upper A-arm? Is there a direction they face or is one a right side and one a left side?
    Lift Kit .jpg

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure on how they install, but I think I'd feel safer with 409 springs and Eelco balljoint spacer's. I'm not diggin' the balljoint spacers you have.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Is there a shoulder on the underside of the spring spacers, that we can't see? If so, I expect they fit into the lower arm, upside down from how you have them in the picture, and the spring fits over that shoulder, to center it.

The ball joint spacers, you'll se that they have to "stick out" to the side, from the ball joint, to clear the end of the spring pocket part of the frame. With the old style spacers, you have to remove the bump stop support as well, don't know if that's needed with these.

mad mikey and 427 sleeper like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search on eBay at least one seller there that offers US made 1-2" lift

5. Anderson

Anderson

Those ball joint spacers look like some terrifying J.C. Whitney junk.

X38 likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

they look pretty well made, to me. But still scary :)

lowrd and mad mikey like this.
  7. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks for the input guys, I have an idea now how it all works.

As far as the quality it’s top notch and definitely not cheap junk. The guy that made these worked as a machinist and used them on his own car at the track.

I am going install them and see how they work

loudbang likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I seen a set of those for the very first time last Friday. From a distance in the evening light I couldn't tell what I was seeing that was shining back at me that looked out of place on a 70's era Caddy low rider. When I walked up closer to take a look (car at full lift) there they where all shiny and chromed out.

9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Well, I install the lift kit over the weekend and it actually went together pretty easily and I’m very pleased with how the car sits now with a slight nose high stance, I gained about 4 inches and the ride seems to be the same as it was before so no stiffer or rougher 11F9549E-28FF-4CEA-AB7F-F248C6BA3D87.jpeg 726C79B4-0B35-4D10-9245-27DBFC127B5F.jpeg 9685C762-29D9-4D2D-9560-F8DB15B14E3C.jpeg 88B3F9CF-1D9F-4FFD-BCA2-039EAB451991.jpeg

Butch M, guthriesmith, egads and 4 others like this.
  10. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

A few more pictures from today after I got the brakes bled and adjusted, drives great just need to figure out longer front shocks???
    4E32543E-D4DA-4C27-9836-BB9ED6D27CB2.jpeg ACF92FBD-E6E5-462E-BF6A-CDB312A980CD.jpeg F7111F93-31B5-48D5-9A27-9DE92EE930C3.jpeg

jay t., Butch M, guthriesmith and 7 others like this.
  11. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Gasket shock extension's work great... ;)

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  13. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car sits nice. Any better pics of the ball joint spacers attached?What size front ties?

Packrat and loudbang like this.
  14. If you want the gasser stance have you considered going all in and do a straight axle conversion? Nice 55 you have.

15. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks, the tires are 5.60-15 Firestones

Here’s a better picture of the ball joint spacers
    BCF9D098-2015-4018-B4CF-9ECC04E7DF02.jpeg

rod1 and Tickety Boo like this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I don't see the spring cup spacer?

17. HerMink

HerMink

Great stance dude!

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm a bit puzzled about the way the ball joint spacer relocates the spindles back with the offset spacer turned towards the rear of the car? I would assume they'd be located towards the outside, or inside and not forward or back? Seems like the way it's pointed it will mess up steering geometry, and move the centerline of the front hub back a bit?
    Was there a reason you didn't install new coil springs at the same time? Are yours new enough to not be saggy?

19. lowrd

lowrd

Yeah the car looks right, but those extensions just make me not want to go too fast. Anyone make an upper A arm to remedy the issue?

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Can not find instruction sheet for the early traditional C style spacers. That said, instructions state that you can clock them in any of four positions to obtain proper compensation to achieve proper alignment. Seem to work where he has it set now.
    [​IMG]

Butch M likes this.
  21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's what I recall also with the old C shaped spacers. They were very sturdy, and much better than the ball joint spacers that bolted between the ball joint and A arms. Those types usually resulted in running out of adjustment on the A arms, and tires leaning in at the top. The C type had one part of the C longer, to correct that, and lots of adjustment left.

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"More than one way to skin a cat". An offset is an offset correct? Although I agree, I don't care much for this new design over the old ones. But even the old design were known to break as well.

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, it accomplishes the same thing, just curious that it's pointed back in the pictures? In all the old C types I saw installed back in the late 60's and early 70's the C type was always pointed out towards the wheels, with only a little cant forwards or backwards.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  24. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

those ball joint spacers are flat out criminal negligence

lowrd, Anderson and 427 sleeper like this.
  25. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I didn’t have any instructions so the picture you see with the wheel off the position is wrong and I had to rotate it towards the A arm to get the camber right.

The aluminum spring cups sit up in the top of the upper spring pocket and are not visible.

I didn’t change the springs because they are the original 6 cylinder ones which were stiffer than V8 springs, now when the 468ci BBC goes in I might have to upgrade them

So far I really like the stance and it rides/drives great, so I am very impressed with the lift kit

Johnny Gee likes this.
  26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Generally these a tapered and fit in the lower A frame so the spring ends came be as parallel as possible since A frames will be angle now as compared to stock ride height. I see what appears to be a taper on the O.D.. Do you have any pics of the other side prior to installation?
    [​IMG]

27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I would rather have the spring spacers in the top where you cant see them. Makes no difference I wouldn't think would it? Lippy

28. Butch M

Butch M

I like it cool looking 55

HerMink likes this.
  29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since it appears the only angle part of the spring cup spacers is the outside edge, I can't see why it would matter which way it went in? If the cup was also angled on the spring pocket then I'd prefer it to be on the bottom, but it appears the spring seat isn't, so not an issue.

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ That's why it would be nice to have seen the other side/end of them. Note how they do not set flat on work surface. Does the other end have a machined spring pocket to confirm to the spring???