Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Unassebled 3w coupe, how to do it

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3w Hank, Feb 2, 2022.

1. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Well a roadster is not on my plans, but I hear the point.

2. 69DBD786-3938-47FF-8A0B-7327B2955600.jpeg EBD5F559-8031-4210-BD57-25EE98FE3BD4.jpeg
    just a random google search to compare prices. if someone asked me to assemble a body to save em some $$$$ I’d giggle.
    when I worked for a pro shop, we had a body kept just in case. Wonder what the possibility of any pro shops having one for that spur of the moment customer.

Tman likes this.
  3. Bet Brizio or a couple others have one in stock?

4. clem

clem

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  5. It would be worth a call to several shops if you were looking for one.

Tman likes this.
  6. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Price at B-ville is at 23K.
    Of course all hazzle to save 2K is not worth it even if one do it/has the experiance.
    Strange pricing I must say !
    I’m not in a hurry here.
    But in general I would prefere a ol’ Henry.

anthony myrick likes this.
  7. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Clem,
    I has seen the series.
    Very good craft.

——
    Bobby Walden told me now the pricing at B-ville is now higher but they has 23K and 25K on their pricelist still, and in my world that is the price.
    So now 28 or 29 as he said ( ? )
    And add upp for window frame kit, firewall and full floor and crate it’s then over 30K.
    So pro chopped and filled roof etc 55K my bet.
    Gee.
    Add upp for a rest of body parts, chassie, rest of the stuff, paint and a cool motor.

-Must be hard get half back if selling it ( as one has to have that in mind, what so ever )
    And here it’s a repro body and not the real deal.
    We has also economic instability now as exchange rate is high.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  8. Me personally would pay less for a filled roof.
    I really don’t like the look

WiredSpider and Kiwi 4d like this.
  9. GeeRam

GeeRam

There was a rough already chopped Henry steel 3w coupe for sale in the UK about a month ago, but it looks like its sold.
    There is though an unchopped real Henry steel 5w coupe body currently for sale in UK on Ebay, including original chassis and some other parts......shipping from UK to Sweden wouldn't be too bad, especially if you know anyone with a 4x4 and a car trailer. Car is for sale at GB£22k.

47chevycoupe likes this.
  10. swifty

swifty

What about a Repro steel 5 window? Do they still do them ? Local shop here was going to do them from flat pack but quit after the first one. They had to borrow a windshield frame to assemble the roof, and doors and trunk lid came unassembled. Do Repro assemble them? Repro does not include floor or sub rails.

11. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I don ’t know Repro but Pacific make a new 5w.
    I saw one last week out of box, but I’m going for a 3w.
    I has some alternatives but I think they all are to expensive.
    If get a older one with ex a CSB etc and strip it but no matter body/frame etc will be over 50K and then a chop or get a shop build ome repro and be over 50K or many years by trying get a body in parts together and save 20K but still body alone would be 30K.
    I think the cars is 50% overpriced right now and chopping works is also very expensive.
    -Maybe I’m just to poor but I’m use to pay vs doing dragracing for years.
    But convert money right now is 1/3 to high than normal SEK/USD then freight and we are high taxed here as one of the most taxed people on Earth.
    That is a factor itself but still a old car or body at 70-90K it’s fantasy.
    Last week I saw a ol’Henry old and shaggy and people in US like to get it back so price now was 115K.
    One could say or people has so ; the ’market will fall’ but it’s been reverse, but now I feel one is the last man on ball ;-)
    Many told me here there will be allot of this cars for sell in a year or 2.
    Environent, world politics and generation shift.
    So right now I has not decided how to act.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  12. swifty

swifty

I gather that you are new to this hot rod thing as Reprosteel is a Swedish company and have been around for many years. They make repro parts for 32 roadsters and I thought that the flat packed 32-5 window that I saw in our local hot rod shop came from there. There is no mention on their site of a 32-5 window . Anyway their site is at reprosteel.com and if you talk to them they will know about the 32-5. You may have to settle for a 5 window made in Sweden.

13. alchemy

alchemy

I can't see how shipping an unassembled body will be cheaper than the assembled one. They will have to crate the individual parts with cushion in between, so the size of the overall package might even be larger than the whole put-together body. No cost savings.

I don't see how you will save any time buying an unassembled body, when you will have to find a local to assemble it for you. Unless they have done one already, they probably would take twice as long as Brookville to do the job. No time savings.

I don't see how you will save any money buying an unassembled body, when the local shop will be unexperienced and need to charge you for their learning curve when they assemble it for you. No cost savings.

If I was you, I'd look for a complete car that you can drive onto the transporter. Even if it wasn't the style of build you like, it would still have all the title work taken care of, and might be cheaper to transport since it's a mobile car. Most of the cars for sale today are cheaper than all their parts. You can rebuild the car to your tastes, and sell all the leftovers to offset the new parts and materials.

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You're in way over your head as you seem to say every option is too high, especially when you factor the $$$ exchange rate.
    Your wish list is an expensive one; 32 3/W (Henry preferred). It's like wanting a Custom but holding out for a full custom chopped Merc and not settling for a late 50's mild Custom.
    You're looking at a very expensive venture once you add up all the parts (dash, garnish moldings), shipping to Sweden, poor exchange rate, taxes...

You mentioned you don't do bodywork. You're a machinist. Can you/will you build your own chassis, engine and do all the mechanical work to save a boatload of money? If not, add another 25k+.

Either you wait for the market exchange rate and the world economy to stabilize back to reality (if it ever does!!!), or you set your sights lower and settle for less, which you don't seem to be willing to do. I get it. I wanted a 34 3/W and had to settle for a 5/W. The reality, is that this is probably about the worst time to go car (or home) shopping as prices are up considerably from what they were a couple of years ago.

Keep your eyes open and put the word out in the European Rod community.

Might be cheaper in the long run to buy a complete car. A roller , old beater or project car.

WiredSpider and Tman like this.
  15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

To my and Alchemy's thoughts on buying a complete car. Here's an example;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265527902224?hash=item3dd2b24010:g:rGAAAOSwZidh56tp

Brookville body, plumbed Socal chassis with a lot of chrome, nice wheel/tire choice, original shell, Rootlieb hood, etc. Titled. No wait for a Brookville body or a chassis and any of the State sales taxes (7-8%) that get tacked on.
    You can do your thing for engine, interior, fenders or hiboy, etc.
    Offer 42, buy it for 45. Maybe make a deal to include that engine/trans. It's just down the road from Bobby Walden's shop. Another option is to have it delivered there for a chop before it heads to a shipping container over in Long Beach, Ca................easy peasy. Done deal.

16. dutchrod

dutchrod

17. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

That 5w body in Sweden is not expensive. in USD is only 16,302

18. GeeRam

GeeRam

That's a good buy.....even with the exchange rates.
    That's probably $15k less than what it cost me 3-5 years ago to get mine to that stage here in UK.

19. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Buy the assembled body and pay the shipping. Since you have to ask about assembling the body, I can only assume that you probably don't have the tools or experience to do it well. If you pay someone, you won't save any money and you may end up with a mess. When its done it will be worth more if everything is done right. Its one thing to buy an old car reasonably cheaply and learn as you go on bodywork. Completely different to cut on something thats already expensive and try to learn as you go. Also, when you buy the 32 in parts, you may not get some things. Not sure on that however. What I'm referring to is things like window frames are very expensive and I'm not sure if they come with the doors when bought individually. They do come with the complete coupe body. You also have to do a lot more packing and boxing for individual parts and worry about things getting damaged during shipping. Lot fewer worries if its all in one big crate.

20. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I will get a 3w so a 5w is not a option.
    The one on ebay ( B-ville ) is sold and 45K, and I really don’t need any chassie parts so if sell chassie for 15 its basic what a new body cost.
    The one here at 69K its a Henry.
    I can sell stuff but need chop. Price is common vs ca 65-85K. Its a fact.
    I has help here on chop but get a new body together is to much time and I has not the experiance. Freights is correct, not much less and the time/money pay it don’t make sence.
    I has a Henry I wait see price on but if to high I hss so me ideas on help in US.
    I’m aware of all parts I need.
    But it will be seen, I still think market is overheated right now.
    I know to high goal ( vs what I think is high ) but I’m aware I can build a roadster for less ex fiberglass and a CSB, but that is not my idea.

21. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

The Price of steel 32's are not going to drop unless petroleum is to high so can not afford it /or band petroleum,
    Economy collapses,
    Or laws made Declaring cars are unsafe to drive this old.
    Some One needs $$ fast ,
    Or Owner has passed & Whoever might
    Inherit does not know value or does not care about 90 year old car .

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Just Gary likes this.
  22. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Yes, and good thing if one invest, the money is saved.
    I’ll still think repro body ( fiberglass or steel ) is to expensive but if one build up something neat one fast can burn 100K.
    -I’m still waiting on price for the Henry I located up, so let’s see.
    If to expensive I might get a new body or just wait some.
    If one has the idea it is what it is - but as someone said if the bar is rised to high one has to step down.
    I will not go for a roadster or 5w.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  23. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Just for the records.
    The ol’ Henry went to ridicules pricing and I’m not the man to say it’s wrong but its to rich for my blood anyway.
    I can’t pay 30K for a new repro body that need extras for maybe 10K and chop at 25 plus freight, crate for many thousends USD plus taxes.
    Shore price is high if sell it, but even if one dont build to sell - its not get the payback on a hot rod in my mind and I guess few like a purist deal with 40 brakes, wood floor, flathead, 39 trans, 35 gear.
    then old parts is complex to find and can take years to find it, fix it.
    Me, I come from NHRA stock eliminator with a Hemi Cuda -70 ( top notch performance ) and I has afford that, but not this.
    Payment and taxes in USA is way better than in Sweden for playing/building this kind of cars.

-So I will to wait and see what happens, I has no rush.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  24. Rckt98

Rckt98

Sit tight. Usually the right car comes along just after you have purchased the wrong one.

CrazyDaddy and anthony myrick like this.
  25. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Yes I will keep my eye open.
    It's allot going on in the world now, but my guess as inflation it will be over 10% higher price right now.
    In the stressed world many like relax back to older styff, lifestyles and that effect pricing and many can pay 250K like get a coffe.
    I would not be supriced in some years it's x2 or more on this cars.
    There are plenty of people earn big money now ( many sectors as to work for goverment, build houses or machining stuff etc ) and look at house pricing and all old cars, parts.
    Fee from loan at bank is small now and many has houses payed and running operation so weath is out there.

But if a ol’ Henry body shows up or if anyone sell a 3w project in the 40’s style tell me but I simple can't pay todays pricing especially on a kitcar, as me I found it ridicules.
    I rather save up money and wait for a Henry body/frame.
    That is my experiance so far.
    If nothing show up , I'm Ok as I get what I like and I'm not into compromise.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  26. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Your best bet is to buy an already finished car that is close to what you want then take it and make it what you want,seems to be lots of really high dollar cars selling for pennies on the dollar?.The fun is in building them i know,but it might be quicker and less expensive,living in Europe already is a disavantage for US cars. Sometimes you have to look past the trees to see the forest. harvey

27. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Topics was about ’unassembled’ 3w body, but as I grove in the concept on timeframe, freight, and ’save’ a buck.
    I got the idea as I did not find a old Henrys that not was way high priced.

Even if Brookville almost had all parts to ship a unassembled body it is not about deliverytime and their ’new’ prices is way over their pricelist on their web, actually it’s the same price now on both options, but get them ready is 6 month.
    Freight/crate is the same.
    I has not the experience myself but I might can get people help me for decent money or trade works.
    Then we has the chop, and I understand now this is not easy ( vs brutal chop and tilted front window )
    -But do I like a new body to my project ?
    Its a nice body but if the idea is original and a new body can’t be a old one, that is the simple fact.
    I’m into purist 40’s style/racing and I like actually all parts would be from that era.
    To find a car like that will not be easy, and most that will be for sale ( if I find a car ) it’s still the chop and collect all parts to fit my style. After all this is hot rodding and personal ideas.
    Few will has the parts I like ( plus I like the road and the build-up )

So I will wait for the right time to get a Henry body/frame and parts.
    My guess it’s not easy ( or realistic ) but lets see down the road.
    I has funds but are not ready to pay for a overpriced car with parts I don’t need.

This high priced kit cars is nothing for my taste, no matter who build them or what the price was to build them.
    In my world, this is hot rods and if you can’t do it yourself that money to pay others should not be into this cars pricing.
    This is not Ferraris etc.
    But this is my personal thoughts, only.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  28. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I might start with a frame, I has found a original 32 frame with papers, 32 heawy front axle with bones, 36 rearaxle with bones, Halibrand gear, driveshaft, pedals, flathead project complete, Edelbrock heads, 39 transmission, 40 brakes, original firewall/grille.
    Just a ruff price info but no freight from USA so no taxes etc.
    Fits maybe my budget and all parts I like for my style.

So this can be a great start and I can look for a Henry body down the road.
    Not easy, but who knows.
    -I think pricing can go up x2 vs industry roll on and inflation - but it can also slow down.

29. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

OP how common are 32 over there
    Cars & parts?
    the reason I'm into that 32 very low is because of 7 ish year of collecting parts , & grew up with family & guys I know having 32's 60 ish years , & the other , the family Inherited it after father passed , did not care for or have any interest in old cars ,
    It was restored in 90 ish to a prewar
    H-R , 39 motor & trans , with 40 brakes.
    I inquired that car ,& first on two more Family & friend owned with a set price
    1 was a local HR raced first in 55 the other E C HR in 63 , I Purchased my first roaster E C HR for $400 in 91 .