Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Huge vintage Texas car collection crushed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jan 28, 2022.

1. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Car bodies are $10-$11 per hundred pounds at the scrap yards in my area, so about $350 to $450 per unit for most of them.

It's sad that the guy didn't make those cars available to folks over the years. Lost of opportunities missed because of his gold fever.

Carter, VANDENPLAS and gimpyshotrods like this.
  2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Just have to say that a lot of this collection (and I use that term loosely) had been listed on Craigslist for some time. Some of them did get sold off that way, but if you'd seen the postings most of the cars and parts on them were too far gone. Austin is a pretty humid climate and not really friendly to metal.

This video is kind of like lipstick on a pig.

CBurne7, arkiehotrods and Dan Hay like this.
  3. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

So if folks knew about these being listed on a site was a link to it ever posted on here?

4. 1952henry

1952henry

I agree with those who state it shouldn't be up to heirs to make sure Grandpa Hoarder's wishes are carried out, or feel compelled to save the treasures. Not too many people live in the same area or even same state as the collection they just inherited. Not too many folks can take time away from work/family to do the collection dispersal justice.
    Yes, an auction would be nice, but that takes time to set up, and we have all seen the aftermath of auctions. ..cars not picked up, just picked clean of parts, pallets of parts that were harvested for the goodies, the rest left to be disposed of. Again, not all heirs can dedicate time for this.

I have always been in love with old vehicles, especially old trucks, tractors, and prewar cars. I hate to see them scrapped, but at the same time I understand how it comes to be.

alanp561, gimpyshotrods and egads like this.
  5. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Video is hard to watch. Hopefully it is a lesson to all of us with old cars or parts to plan ahead.

Thor1 likes this.
  6. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

You're exactly right. Blame the owner of the yard, I was made aware of the yard when they were going to crush cars, to come and start buying asap. None of us ever heard of this yard till they started doing this, had he cared about saving cars etc the owner should've made the money along time ago and we could've enjoyed the car or car parts a long time ago. This is a sickness of hoarding and the family having to deal with this sh!t after they pass.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. indyjps

indyjps

I'm selling off stuff now, I have to take it in stages because buyers a Fn ridiculous anymore - rude as hell, stupid half price offers over the web, won't show up, etc.

Funny one - had a guy text me he only had 20's so he'd give me $60 for a part we previously agreed on $75. Let him know I'd take 80, or he can stop at a gas station and buy a soda on his way to make change. WTF. If I look at the time and BS involved to sell something. I'm better off scrapping it all.

Thor1 and trikejunkie like this.
  8. CBurne7

CBurne7

Top Youtube comment. I agree 100%.

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 9.11.29 AM.png

Carter likes this.
  9. CBurne7

CBurne7

So at some point we just have to let it go. This is a hoarding mentality. I'm not saying we need to give it away, but when we're selling something to a very narrow audience we can't penny pinch because guess what? Somebody else may not come along to make an offer on it before we're gone. Then it meets the same demise as the cars in the original post. Used parts I sell off I generally aim to make back 50-75% of what I paid for it. Market value is whatever someone is willing to pay.

I'm with you on the selling stuff over the web though. It's such a pain to deal with people when window shopping and tire kicking is so accessible. I think it is an advantage to be someone who follows through on what they say... I've had people sell me stuff for very reasonable prices just for the fact I communicated well and followed through on what I say.

10. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

I have had old cars for sale locally and many people tell me "boy that's a good deal" or " that's too cheap" yet no one buys them! If I had to deal with that mess in Texas I would have done the exact same thing as this family did! Never lift a finger and get a check! I sure didn't see any tragic losses on the video.

egads, indyjps and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. Agree - there was a guy I follow on Instagram in Texas that was posting pictures awhile back of what he was buying at this place - and shame on him - as I've asked before - where are these cars ? Always no response as they hope to make money on them as well and not many revel their honey holes...but sorry as the time ran out !

ChuckleHead_Al likes this.
  12. birdman1

birdman1

13. indyjps

indyjps

Respond and see if this individual is ready to show up with a truck and trailer and cash and back up their talk with some action. :D

14. CBurne7

CBurne7

You have completely missed the point of the comment. He's saying that the guy hoarded the stuff for so long it turned into scrap.

indyjps likes this.
  15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cleveland, TN, scrap steel is $6.00 per hundredweight. A 4000# car is worth $240 and that's with me hauling it to them.

16. The value of all of our cars just went up by a small amount

Hopefully they got melted down and made into Brookfield bodies or Dynacorns