Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stewart Warner, Pictorial Timeline??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick Willy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66

Alright, for the sake of general knowledge & to satisfy your voracious habit, here's one that I'm pegging at 1957, even though the date code is illegible, since it (a) has the large S/W logo & (b) is flat glass. It's a standard gauge and since it does not have side lights, is virtually dust free under the glass. I like gauges to the point of geekiness...it's pathetic.

[​IMG]

Ric Dean likes this.
  2. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

3. I have decoded this as ww2 era, May 1945
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    falcongeorge likes this.
  4. 24riverview

24riverview

Not nearly as cool as what's been posted so far but I thought it would look good in the right application. Don't remember if it was a garage sale or antique shop find but couldn't pass it up for the $4 it cost me. April 1963?

Attached Files:

Ric Dean likes this.
  5. Scramboleer

Scramboleer

24Riverview - Nice find. My recently-acquired '64 Kaiser-Jeep Wagon (Willys Wagon) had one of those gauge pods mounted underneath the dash as well. Haven't checked into it. I assumed it was aftermarket, but wasn't sure.

[​IMG]

6. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Hey Titus,
    Do you by chance have a part# for the sender on that Greenline Cyl. Head Temp gauge? I have the same gauge but haven't been able to loacate a sender. Thanks for your help,
    Tim

7. titus

titus

Looks like 333d, but dont look any further i have at least one extra!

Attached Files:

rod1 likes this.
  8. I have one of these I picked up too - this is the first I've seen another one. Would love to know more about it or if it's collectible at all.

9. Some in the know needs to make a "mother of all..." threads with pictures.

10. silent rick

silent rick

can anybody date this speedometer? it has a 530Y67 in ink on the back. it has flat glass. is it a large logo? i'm guessing 1955 or 1979 going by the chart.

[​IMG]

11. silent rick

silent rick

how about this one? it has the stewart warner script stamped in it along with made in U.S.A.

i'm thinking it's oem to some production car. in ink it has a 36 on the back. also a 596.P and a C6.5W

[​IMG]

12. titus

titus

1935...............its a 35 plymouth speedo

13. silent rick

silent rick

thanks jeff

would the one above it be considered a large logo?
    i know it's a shitty pic

14. Most of the ones I have are the small logo with the date stamp long gone. Is there any other way to get close to the age by looking at the face or back side.

Do the style of pointers (base location and paint), location of the logo or light source have anything to do with the age or is it just the different line of gauges have different features. So far I've just been looking for "made in the USA" on the face, slots or no holes for lighting and mechanical for finding the semi older stuff. I understand the faces look different (printing and crescent pointers) for the really old stuff, but it's there a way to tell say 60's from 70's or does it even matter.

By the way, when did the electric gauges come out?.

15. titus

titus

I would consider it that, anything that has the SW logo and then says stewart warner is earlier than the non lettered ones. but they probably carried them over some too.

JEFF

16. I talked to a guy who sells gauges at the swapmeets and here's what I found out........might be old news to some of you. Just to get an idea of what era without having the date code info.
    -Made in USA up to the 80's (then assembled in Mexico)
    -Early was large size (2 5/8") and had a cresent pointer
    -Early had brass housing and no lip on bezel
    -Mid 60's to mid 70's had white pointer with light bell
    -Mid 70's to made in Mexico had 2 tone (white/black) pointer

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Brass housings were mostly used on gauges destined for marine vehicles.
    Electric senders were available on the winged Deluxe series in beginning in 1948.
    Light windows in the side of the can were introduced on the winged gauges in 1948.

18. Ok, to keep this thread going I found some more at a local small swap and some at LARS. BTW I'm looking for a "tulip" temp gauge to match the oil pressure I found.......Carter?, I'm eyeballing your amp gauges :).
    stewart warner-4.jpg
    Some N.Y Rochesters
    rochester-2.jpg

Dixcos
    dixco-1.jpg
    The rest I have are 60's and 70's made in the USA S/W, not too rare
    stewart warner-2.jpg
    stewart warner-1.jpg
    stewart warner-3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  19. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

sw.jpg Any SW guru's have any idea when the 2 gauge mounting panels had the horizontal "stripes" etched in the chrome panel? It almost mimics the way the factory dash housing of my '63 Bel Air is made... curious if these panels were made in the same timeframe.

20. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Can anyone decode the date this was made?

551SHN3

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  21. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

I decode mine on Perry Ruiter site.

Ruiter.ca Identification & Dating of Stewart-Warner...

22. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

So, on that site, it looks like 551SHN3 is:

Gauge Model: 551
    Model Variant: SH
    Year Manf: N = 1945 or 1969
    Month: 3 = March

Ok, cool. So one last question: if the year codes get reused, how would I tell the difference between a 1945 gauge vs a 1969? Would you be looking at the dial markings at that point?

It would be nice to see a gallery with all the different gauge faces in chronological order.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  23. alchemy

alchemy

The logo was common for 1945, but the yellow plating on the back wasn't. That needle wasn't common until 1948. Same with the bezel. But that needle was not common in 1969. The single bulb socket point looks a lot like 1969. I can't give you an answer. To me it seems like a combination of parts.

Show me a pic of the input (cable) connection. I can't tell if it's the early style with the fitting missing, or the later style.

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  24. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

hows this?

Also, the glass is curved

Attached Files:

25. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, that's either an intentional fake, or something made of leftover parts by SW. The input is 60's and later. I wouldn't be surprised if some shop rescreened the face with the older logo, installed that glass, and that earlier pointer. Curved glass on the old gauges was from 40's to about 1957.

rod1 likes this.